New Frontier Armory LW-15 Initial Review

TCummings

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey guys I picked up my first of two New Frontier Armory lowers yesterday at Sooner State Pawn, as always they are awesome to work with. Everyone who saw it when they were looking at the inventory they had in commented on the lower, and most were surprised it was all polymer.

I had taken my new CMMG .300AAC Blackout down with me so the guys at the shop could check out the fit and feel of the lower with an upper attached to it. When I pushed the take down and pivot pins out I actually had to use the end of a key to get them far enough out for me to pull on them, it's a nice snug fit for them that I am sure will loosen up over time but it's nice to know that they won't easily back out. The upper actually took some coaxing to install but once I had it installed and the pins pushed back through it is a true "No Slop" fit, everything fit tight and close together and looks great. (Note the only things I have changed so far are the Pistol Grip and the Buffer, I have a mil-spec buffer tube and CTR stock that I will be putting on soon also. Other than that everything else is stock)

_DSC0704.jpg

_DSC0705.jpg

_DSC0707.jpg

_DSC0709.jpg

_DSC0711.jpg

After getting it home and messing around with it some more I am really happy with the look of it with the satin polymer finish that it has, it seems like the finish will hold up nicely. Everything is polymer minus the buffer tube, nut, and backing plate, and of course all of the springs and detent pins are metal also. The lower is lightweight but still has a very solid feeling to it which becomes even more solid once mated with an upper.

_DSC0694.jpg

_DSC0696-2.jpg

_DSC0703.jpg

The trigger group is polymer but the trigger pull on it is very very crisp and easy with very little take up, it beats the heck out of the typical mil-spec trigger that comes with most LPK's. The only complaint I have about it is the fact that you can see the moulding markings on the trigger system but this in no way will effect it in any negative way from what I can see, it just looks a little unfinished.

_DSC0697-1.jpg

_DSC0699.jpg

_DSC0701.jpg

_DSC0702.jpg

Overall so far I am happy with the look and make of this lower, it seems to be very tough and the areas that seem like they would have been weak have been reinforced with a thicker section of polymer. Once I have the chance to run it out to the range and get a couple hundred rounds down range with it I will get up another review.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Very cool! How much do they cost? Do the mags drop free? Can you put in a different trigger?

TCummings

Well-Known Fanatic
I actually picked that Mag up from Wes (MrShooter on OSA). I ordered this lower straight through NFA and it was $112 shipped plus the transfer fee at Sooner State Pawn, the second lower I ordered around the same time as my upper from JoeBobOutfitters.com and with the Veterans discount it was $95 shipped. Yes the trigger can be changed out, I have a Geissele SD-E that will be going into one of the two lowers at some point in the near future, I just decided to leave the stock trigger in for now so I can give an actual review on how well or not well it actually works. But honestly it is a nice trigger from what I can tell just from dry firing it.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm interested in knowing the longevity of their trigger system. Would be fun to take it out to a range and just shoot the hell out of it.

TCummings

Well-Known Fanatic
For $100 if it lasts for a year of hard shooting I would say it would be worth it :)

The nice thing about pulling the stock trigger from one and using the Geissele trigger in it, is if the other lowers stock trigger and hammer get screwed up I can just put the other one in there.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Sorry I meant to ask if the mags drop free? Also have you weighed it vs a similar aluminum lower?

TCummings

Well-Known Fanatic
Haha ok got ya. Yea the mags drop perfect.

As far as the weight goes they say it is around 7.2oz lighter than a standard aluminum lower. In my opinion you can feel the weight difference, but it's not like a holy crap thats light difference.

Latest posts