New dog (Plott Hound, Pit Bull/Lab mix)

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, yesterday, my wife and I found a nice 1yr old male dog named "Reggie" at the local SPCA in town. As seen in the title of this thread, he is (according to the SPCA) 1/2 purebred Plott Hound, 1/4 Pit Bull, and maybe 1/4 Labrador Retriever. He's awesome, very friendly, and instantly bonded with my wife and I. He does have a very deep "Woof" type of bark and will instantly alert us of any danger.

At 1 year old, he is already 58 pounds and full of energy. Anyone have a dog like this, or ever seen a dog like this?

The main SPCA photo:
OocUs8N.jpg

My wife Margaret feeding "Reggie" some kibble from her hand at the SPCA yesterday:
jL0YRJy.jpg

Chilled out, relaxed, and falling asleep in my music room on the carpet last night...
0dfnrvm.jpg

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Well, yesterday, my wife and I found a nice 1yr old male dog named "Reggie" at the local SPCA in town. As seen in the title of this thread, he is (according to the SPCA) 1/2 purebred Plott Hound, 1/4 Pit Bull, and maybe 1/4 Labrador Retriever. He's awesome, very friendly, and instantly bonded with my wife and I. He does have a very deep "Woof" type of bark and will instantly alert us of any danger.

At 1 year old, he is already 58 pounds and full of energy. Anyone have a dog like this, or ever seen a dog like this?

The main SPCA photo:
OocUs8N.jpg

My wife Margaret feeding "Reggie" some kibble from her hand at the SPCA yesterday:
jL0YRJy.jpg

Chilled out, relaxed, and falling asleep in my music room on the carpet last night...
0dfnrvm.jpg
Nice dog. Good deed. God bless you, your wife, and Reggie.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Update.... I took Reggie out to Powhatan WMA earlier this morning (before it got to be 90+ degrees outside!), and he had a blast! You can clearly see him tugging on the leash after I stopped to take this photo.

Caption: "Dude! Why are we stopping? This place is awesome! So many smells to check out! Come on man. Let's go!" :D
20210630_100251[1].jpg

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks... Reggie is awesome. At 1 yr old, he still has a lot of Puppy left in him, and will go flat out, balls to the wall, 100 mph around the backyard! Such much energy, so little time! :cool:

Main dominant breed: Plott Hound (parent #1 was pure bred).
Mix breed: Pit Bull w/ just a touch of Lab (parent #2).

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Part Moose & Pit, he'll walk you around if your not carful.
Update... My dog Reggie has settled in nicely into our home (it's been almost 2 months now). He's built like a Ox for being almost 60 pounds, and will try to take YOU for a walk if you're not careful! Sheesh...

Check out the latest photo from here in the west end of Henrico Co (Richmond, Virginia) over near Regency Mall, Quioccasin, Farmington, etc... I took Reggie for a nice dog walk along Farmington, and naturally, he had to sniff everything all the way down, and all the way back. What a nose this dog has! Good Lord!

20210731_095846[1].jpg

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Update... My dog Reggie has settled in nicely into our home (it's been almost 2 months now). He's built like a Ox for being almost 60 pounds, and will try to take YOU for a walk if you're not careful! Sheesh...

Check out the latest photo from here in the west end of Henrico Co (Richmond, Virginia) over near Regency Mall, Quioccasin, Farmington, etc... I took Reggie for a nice dog walk along Farmington, and naturally, he had to sniff everything all the way down, and all the way back. What a nose this dog has! Good Lord!

View attachment 8363
Have you looked into a tax exemption for the cost of feeding him? LOL!

He's beautiful. A fine family member you have there.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Have you looked into a tax exemption for the cost of feeding him? LOL!

He's beautiful. A fine family member you have there.
Thank you... My wife and I will buy a 40lb bag of dog food, and pour it into one of those storage bins. I have no idea how long it lasts (or should last!) but it can get expensive...
1 heaping scoop of dog food for breakfast in the morning.
2 heaping scoops of dog food for dinner.

Reggie is solid muscle, strong as an Ox, even at 60 lbs, and a bundle of energy...

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Thank you... My wife and I will buy a 40lb bag of dog food, and pour it into one of those storage bins. I have no idea how long it lasts (or should last!) but it can get expensive...
1 heaping scoop of dog food for breakfast in the morning.
2 heaping scoops of dog food for dinner.

Reggie is solid muscle, strong as an Ox, even at 60 lbs, and a bundle of energy...
He looks like a great dog. I am an animal lover. I love guns, but I don't shoot living things. I used to be a hunter, but my heart got soft with age. If I was hungry, I would rethink that...