My latest wheelgun

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
Terrible story with a great ending.

Was shopping for a 3" 357 and quickly found I couldn't afford one then a 4" no dash 686 pops up on GB. The seller only posted 2 grainy pics so naturally nobody bids. I messaged him and suggested that a few more, better pics may help it sell and that I myself was interested.

The description said that it was a pristine fired little example and he posted more pics. Now, I admire the mans talents with a camera because those pics showed a beautiful gun with maybe unoriginal grips in need of a refinish, OK, I'll bite, bought the gun. A few short days later I went to the dealer and was appalled at the condition of the gun, terrible the way some people will mistreat a fine revolver so I sent it back.

Began the search again and found another, the one you see here. Talked to the guy on the phone and naturally he talked the gun up and made it sound like the best to be had. I'd say he was quite modest in his praise because this is about as fine a revolver as I could have hoped for, and the Culinas are just icing on a very sweet cake.
There was literally not a scratch on it. Even on SS guns there is always a turn line present but this one not so much. SCORE!

Come to find out this guy is a very skilled 1911 builder, he was kind enough to show me some of his work, no wonder he had such a nice revolver, he knows guns and how to treat them. I also told him I'd pass his name and info on if anyone is interested. I have pics of some of his work as well.

Quite a contrast to the first one I tried to buy.

Anywho, here we have a pre-lock 4" 686+ with Culina bloodwood grips that is just a joy to shoot, which I've done about 650 times since getting it in February of this year.

Attachments

• 20210225_203611.jpg
    20210225_203611.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210225_203458.jpg
    20210225_203458.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210225_203427.jpg
    20210225_203427.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
I hope it never happens, but $#!+ happens, nobody knows this better than me. When I was much younger and stupider I willingly sold another what is now a revolver that many collectors will fight each other to the death for and to this day I cant look at them, any threads about them and cant even take hearing them mentioned, literally makes me ill

Thanks for the compliments folks.

This one has, as far as I can tell, all the stock parts in it. The DA is quite heavy but it's so smooth. Before I even took possession of the thing I had already bought all new, lighter springs and was all ready to do my action job on it but after taking it to the range I decided that I'd just leave this one be. I think I shoot this one well enough.
Dad was a Ruger man to the bone so I could never express my S&W fetish. I remember walking into the gunshop in 1982 and seeing the NEW 686 models, 4", 6", 8 3/8", blued, SS all beautiful. There were so many different models, dad walked right by them all straight to the Rugers. I've had a love affair with the 686/586 since that day, and have never owned one until now.

Baboonbobo, if I ever do part ways with it I'll be the first to admit to needing the $#!+ smacked out of me and will willingly submit to your hand. Hell, I still deserve one for selling that 3.5" M27 all those years ago.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Terrible story with a great ending.

Was shopping for a 3" 357 and quickly found I couldn't afford one then a 4" no dash 686 pops up on GB. The seller only posted 2 grainy pics so naturally nobody bids. I messaged him and suggested that a few more, better pics may help it sell and that I myself was interested.

The description said that it was a pristine fired little example and he posted more pics. Now, I admire the mans talents with a camera because those pics showed a beautiful gun with maybe unoriginal grips in need of a refinish, OK, I'll bite, bought the gun. A few short days later I went to the dealer and was appalled at the condition of the gun, terrible the way some people will mistreat a fine revolver so I sent it back.

Began the search again and found another, the one you see here. Talked to the guy on the phone and naturally he talked the gun up and made it sound like the best to be had. I'd say he was quite modest in his praise because this is about as fine a revolver as I could have hoped for, and the Culinas are just icing on a very sweet cake.
There was literally not a scratch on it. Even on SS guns there is always a turn line present but this one not so much. SCORE!

Come to find out this guy is a very skilled 1911 builder, he was kind enough to show me some of his work, no wonder he had such a nice revolver, he knows guns and how to treat them. I also told him I'd pass his name and info on if anyone is interested. I have pics of some of his work as well.

Quite a contrast to the first one I tried to buy.

Anywho, here we have a pre-lock 4" 686+ with Culina bloodwood grips that is just a joy to shoot, which I've done about 650 times since getting it in February of this year.
Gorgeous

krglorioso

Well-Known Fanatic
My stainless Ladysmith.38/3" has the same S&W finger notch wood grips and I think they're great. No little standard grips for me.

Ralph

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
While not factory S&W combat grips they're still much sought after by S&W owners, they're made by Mark Culina.

About the best made, IMHO. If I had however a specific collectible piece that came with S&W combats I'd keep them at least with the gun if not on them to maintain any value. My gun did not come with the S&W grips so I'm very happy that the previous owner opted for Culina grips. They only add to its value.

You know, you're absolutely right that they're very comfy in the hand. I much prefer a square butt revolver but these are definitely changing my mind about not liking round butt grips, looks and feel.

krglorioso

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you, Bill. I (obviously) had no idea. Culima does offer beautiful grip upgrades. So pleased I have them.

Latest posts