muzzle loader deer season- getting ready

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
This was a dramatic improvement in accuracy of the round ball in a .50 Lyman Great Plains rifle I built.
By changing the patch thickness and material, a 3 shot group went from 3 inches to less than one inch.
I doubt it will matter much for hunting, except if I want to shoot squirrels and such.

pre_1507821250__lyman_target.jpg

dennishoddy

Nice looking group! Amazing how changing one variable in the combination can make that much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

I spent the afternoon doing a deep clean on my Savage Ml-10 smokeless Muzzle loader.
I noticed last year that the accuracy was not as good as it was when new. Instead of cloverleaf groups at 100 yds it was out to 2".
Had it for 12 years or so with it maintaining that accuracy. The recoil is so brutal you don't want to shoot it more than a few times.
Found the Vent Liner had some major erosion taking it out to .036 from the original .029.
Going to the range tomorrow for some target practice. Now that we have the 300 yard bay, I'm going to take it there and see what it will do.
250 grain Hornady SST running 2350 fps is equal to a .416 Rigby elephant gun in speed and recoil.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Try the Monoflex ML. Supposed to be mucho better on expansion. It's a monolithic copper polymer tipped with a ginormous cavity and looks to be shaped just like the SST.

dennishoddy

Definitely Deplorable said:
Try the Monoflex ML. Supposed to be mucho better on expansion. It's a monolithic copper polymer tipped with a ginormous cavity and looks to be shaped just like the SST.
Probably too late for this season, but I'll try some before next season.

Modoc

Active Fanatic
Definitely Deplorable said:
Will they perform well in a round ball twist? I’m trying for a draw this year and have a Hatfield 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Modoc said:
Will they perform well in a round ball twist? I’m trying for a draw this year and have a Hatfield 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have a true round ball twist rate like 1:66 or slower, I highly doubt it. Mini/maxi/conical type bullets need faster twist to stabilize.

Latest posts