Muzzle Flash

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I just now saw this post. This is interesting as it would also depend quite a lot of which calibers you are discussing. As I have some 45acp which I've never noticed enough muzzle flash to even think about it. Then there's my 357 Coonan which produces a great ball of fire just shooting soft nose rounds! Granted HP's out if that I've are tremendous:) or my 22tcm which is similar to the Coonan! Mini balls of fire but still the same issue.

Now 9mm varies quite a bit but I have older green boxes Remington jhp's that I used to stock up on, you know the 100 round boxes the sold at Wally World that ammo has fairly consistent yet mild muzzle flash. I use a lot of Hornady critical defense that hardly has any muzzle flash.

As far as an actual test to measure the muzzle flash of various rounds, I would need more equipment than I currently have to video all of the rounds and compare. I honestly don't have the equipment or the time to do that. So all I can offer is what I've noticed from my limited range times recently:-(

dennishoddy

I shot a match at an indoor range once that was a lights out with only one small wattage bulb in the back of the room on. I can't tell anyone what powder I was using at the time, but I do know that all of the shooters without night sights did very poorly while those with Tritium night sights ruled the match.
So, I'm not so sure that muzzle flash is a detriment to shooting at night when a set of night sights would overcome the effects muzzle flash produces.

Latest posts