Milsurp Restoration Thread

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
Looks like we need a thread to post all of our restoration questions and advice in. If you need information regarding restoration (sources for replacement parts, use of correct parts, etc) or cleaning / refinishing of a surplus or C&R firearm, please post it here in this thread.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
What's the best way to remove shellac from the wood? I used some sand paper and acetone on my Enfield, but was wondering if paint or lacquer thinner might be better, or if some of those would be too aggressive.

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
Denatured alcohol is definitely the way to go when thinning or completely removing shellac. You can touch up scratched or peeling shellac by using a small amount to soften and blend the existing shellac. If you are wanting to completely strip the finish, just use a medium coarse steel wool pad dipped in DA.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
The cartouches on my Garand (original WW2 era stock) are faded pretty bad. Is there any way to restore, or make them bolder/brighter without risking the value of the stock or making it look like it was faked?

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
The cartouches on my Garand (original WW2 era stock) are faded pretty bad. Is there any way to restore, or make them bolder/brighter without risking the value of the stock or making it look like it was faked?

Kevin,

A simple cleaning is as aggressive as I would get with it. I've seen too many people try to enhance their cartouches by either restamping or actually carving out the existing lines...and it always ends badly. A stock with a worn / faint cartouche is always going to be more valuable and historically correct than one that has been enhanced. Trying doing an oil scrub on the stock if you haven't already. If you have already gone that route, try gently cleaning the indentions of the the cartouche with acetone and a toothpick. From what I have read over on the CMP forums, acetone won't affect the color and patina of the areas of your stock that it is applied to.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
So Im doing a swap for my M1A from the original walnut which will be wrapped in a towel and protected, to a fiberglass USGI stock, I bought a new buttplate and mounting hardware and soon Ill be bedding the action into that stock. I am wondering the best way to clean up the fiberglass.

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
So Im doing a swap for my M1A from the original walnut which will be wrapped in a towel and protected, to a fiberglass USGI stock, I bought a new buttplate and mounting hardware and soon Ill be bedding the action into that stock. I am wondering the best way to clean up the fiberglass.

You'll just need to use acetone to clean the areas where you plan to install the bedding material. After cleaning thoroughly, be sure to rough the surfaces that you are bedding with coarse sandpaper. Marine and RV fiberglass cleaners and polishes will work well to maintain the exterior of the stock. I have seen several people recommend Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer, but it must be used sparingly or you'll end up with a stock full of bling.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea I think Im just gonna clean it up and rough it and then OD it, if there are any cracks can I just use epoxy and seal them or is there a specific type thats better for fiberglass

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
Yea I think Im just gonna clean it up and rough it and then OD it, if there are any cracks can I just use epoxy and seal them or is there a specific type thats better for fiberglass

I would probably look at using Acraglas for both the bedding and any repairs that need to be made.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Couldnt get the link button to work, but heres a few pictures of my stock restoration so far, I used a boat repair resin to fix some minor cracking, I needed something I could beat up and not care about it getting knicked or dinged. The rest just kinda happened, wanted something a little different, still need to get a different top shield so I can paint to match.
IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry about the crappy cell phone pictures but Ill get some better ones soon. Next is bedding and gas system shimming and such, I guess its not so much a restoration as it is an accuracy enhancement and refit.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
Couldnt get the link button to work, but heres a few pictures of my stock restoration so far, I used a boat repair resin to fix some minor cracking, I needed something I could beat up and not care about it getting knicked or dinged. The rest just kinda happened, wanted something a little different, still need to get a different top shield so I can paint to match.
IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg
That thing looks awesome.