Military competitions, all Guard competitions

psalms144

Fanatic
I'm in the Oklahoma National Guard. I also compete in Idpa and Uspas from time to time. Does anyone know if there are National Guard competitions ? And how could I get started ?

X-ringer

Active Fanatic
Some times we have Guard shooters join us for our Bullseye Pistol Matches at the OKC Gun Club.

Jack O. is now running the Oklahoma Pistol Team which has most of those Guard shooter on it.

Here is the link to the OKC Bullseye site for upcoming events http://www.okcgunclub.org/bullseye

Ron

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I have contact info somewhere for one of the State Team NCOs. She works at OMD. PM me a reminder and I'll look for it for you.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Thanks for your service!

One would think it would be much easier for soldiers to find the competitions that the guard does. I know I never heard of any of them until I was out.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I found them to be...exclusive. There's some stroke required to get involved with the state team. That was my take based on the FTF conversations I had, at least.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I know that the extended war has reduced funding for a lot of things in the OK National Guard, but here is some first hand experience.

I retired from the OK Air Nationa Guard five years ago and was heavily involved in the OK National Guard's shooting program. The OK National Guard used to have the Sgt. Major's match in the spring and the Governor's 20 match in the fall. The shooter with the highest combined score of those two matches would be awarded the Hadwiger Award. They also held machine gun and sniper matches. The matches were not exclusive at all. Many units would use them for their troops' periodic weapon qualifications.

Getting on the state team was VERY exclusive. Lazy people that couldn't shoot were not allowed on it. There were pistol, rifle, machine gun and sniper teams. The airmen or soldiers from the winning unit were selected to represent the state at the Wilson Matches in North Little Rock, Arkansas. The match was usually held on OU/Texas weekend. Pistol and rifle team members for the Wilson Matches were selected from the winning unit at the Governor's 20 match and backfilled as required by the top ten finishers of the two state matches. I don't know how machine and sniper teams were filled, since I never participated in those disciplines.

There were many other opportunities throughout the year to participate in regional military matches as well.

I don't know who is in charge anymore, but if I needed to find out I would talk to Col Curtis Bohlman. He used to work at 23 St Armory in OKC.

robkroupa

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone know if there are any of the competitions for active duty types? Or if we are welcome at the Guard matches?

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Is Jack O a retired Lieutenant Colonel from the Oklahoma Air National Guard?

If it's the same guy, he was in charge of the marksmanship teams (rifle & pistol) for the Air Natl Guard when I was there in the 80's. Do they still have the Governors 20 matches every year?

Latest posts