Marlin JM stamp history.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
With the deep bench of experience here, wondering if anyone has tribal knowledge in regards to the history of Marlin JM stamps?

Specifically if, when, possibly where they may have deviated from the classic standard JM in the oval.

Seems to be a variant or two out there, possibly on later model guns that some attribute to forgeries due to not being JM with oval.

As an example, I have an 1895 with SN indicating 1999 build, Mar-Shield stock, bullseye, barrel marked North Haven CT with the pictured "JM" stamp/ engraving.

So far, this has been like learning about sex on the playground. Any insight or even opine is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20F59AF2-F4D4-435F-A27C-6AF42575A69E.jpeg
    20F59AF2-F4D4-435F-A27C-6AF42575A69E.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 5

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
With the deep bench of experience here, wondering if anyone has tribal knowledge in regards to the history of Marlin JM stamps?

Specifically if, when, possibly where they may have deviated from the classic standard JM in the oval.

Seems to be a variant or two out there, possibly on later model guns that some attribute to forgeries due to not being JM with oval.

As an example, I have an 1895 with SN indicating 1999 build, Mar-Shield stock, bullseye, barrel marked North Haven CT with the pictured "JM" stamp/ engraving.

So far, this has been like learning about sex on the playground. Any insight or even opine is appreciated.
I've owned a Marlin for 40 years. My understanding is the JM stamp was the final approval for the quality of a Marlin produced gun before it shipped. JM are the initials of John Marlin, the founder. There was a period of time when Marlin outsourced some barrel manufacturing. These guns, assembled in North Haven Connecticut, will lack this mark. They are considered less desirable if the mark is missing. Remington discontinued the mark when they moved Marlin to Mayfield, Kentucky. But, there are some of these with the stamp. Remington used the stock of barrels from New Haven initially with the stamp already on them.

I have a Marlin 60 built in 1984. It was built in New Haven, Connecticut and has the JM stamp on the barrel. It's a fine 22 rifle with all of the desirable features. 22 inch barrel, 18+1 capacity and LSHO (last shot hold open). I added the last feature, as Marlin began that one in 1985.

I have another Model 60 stainless. It was also built in New Haven, Connecticut, but in 2005. The barrel does not have the mark. I assume this barrel was produced for Marlin by someone else. Marlin was struggling during that time before Remington took over in 2007. The Marlin 60 stainless has a 19 inch barrel and 14+1 capacity. It's a good shooter, but it can't hold a candle to it's older sister.

There's a ton of history out there about Marlin. It'll be interesting to see what Ruger does with the company. I heard a rumor that they will bring that famous stamp back. Take a look at the Marlinowners.com forum. I'm a member over there too. It's a great place to learn about a great American company.

Last edited:

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
I've owned a Marlin for 40 years. My understanding is the JM stamp was the final approval for the quality of a Marlin produced gun before it shipped. JM are the initials of John Marlin, the founder. There was a period of time when Marlin outsourced some barrel manufacturing. These guns, assembled in North Haven Connecticut, will lack this mark. They are considered less desirable if the mark is missing. Remington discontinued the mark when they moved Marlin to Mayfield, Kentucky. But, there are some of these with the stamp. Remington used the stock of barrels from New Haven initially with the stamp already on them.

I have a Marlin 60 built in 1984. It was built in New Haven, Connecticut and has the JM stamp on the barrel. It's a fine 22 rifle with all of the desirable features. 22 inch barrel, 18+1 capacity and LSHO (last shot hold open). I added the last feature, as Marlin began that one in 1985.

I have another Model 60 stainless. It was also built in New Haven, Connecticut, but in 2005. The barrel does not have the mark. I assume this barrel was produced for Marlin by someone else. Marlin was struggling during that time before Remington took over in 2007. The Marlin 60 stainless has a 19 inch barrel and 14+1 capacity. It's a good shooter, but it can't hold a candle to it's older sister.

There's a ton of history out there about Marlin. It'll be interesting to see what Ruger does with the company. I heard a rumor that they will bring that famous stamp back. Take a look at the Marlinowners.com forum. I'm a member over there too. It's a great place to learn about a great American company.
Thanks sir.

Latest posts