Mandatory spare parts

TroyF

TheBearcat
Below you will find an ever evolving list of parts that might prove worthwhile to carry in your range bag, whether for a training class or a competition. So here you have it, in no real order of importance....

If you want me add a particular gun, PM me with the info.

Universal
1. Lubrication
2. Cleaning kit
3. Squib rod
4. Spare fiber optic rod for front sight, and tools to install.
5. Batteries (for EoTechs, hearing pro, etc...)
6. Small first-aid kit (Band-aids, neosporin, asprin, etc...)
7. Sunscreen

Glock
1. Trigger return spring
2. Extra slide release
3. Extra pin set
4. Extractor
5. Recoil spring
6. Slide stop spring
7. Spare plastic front sight
8. Spare complete gun (Thanks Spencer, woulda never thought of that...Smartguy)

Smith and Wesson M&P
1. Spare striker assembly
2. Trigger return spring (Glock spring will work in a pinch)
3. Spare Recoil spring assembly

1. Slide stops
2. Thumb safeties.
3. Spare firing pin and spring
4. Spare screws/springs for adjustable sights

AR15 (for the sake of forum cleanliness, we'll keep this here)
1. Spare bolt/carrier

Single Action Army:
1. Spare base pin
(plus a retaining screw if your's is a black powder style frame)
2. Hand spring
3. Main Spring
4. Screws
(little grip frame screws and the triggerguard screw)
5. Lot's of folks keep a spare bolt and hammer, plus hand and sear parts. Just a note... if you want "drop in", they wont--- you will have to fit these up.

Lever Action rifles (Marlin and Winchester)
1. A set of screws
2. Mag spring and follower...
3. Firing pin/ spring
4. Sight parts (ramps, screws.. whatever spares for the sights you have)
*Bolts, sears, trigger parts will wear out... but considering that some of these guns are 100 years old...they seem to last a long long time. Original hammers can be welded up and re fitted if you break a notch
If you do have spares, some hand fitting to your action may be required. "Drop in" is not a likely expectation

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Single Action Army (Colts and Clones)

Spare base pin (plus a retaining screw if your's is a black powder style frame)

Hand spring

Main Spring

Screws ( especially those little grip frame screws and the trigger guard screw)

Lot's of folks keep a spare bolt and hammer, plus hand and sear parts. Just a note... if you want "drop in", they wont--- you will have to fit these up.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Winchester and Marlin Levers

You will hardly ever have a failure of major parts (outside of Cowboy action shooting) but if you own one consider keeping:

A set of screws

Mag spring and follower...

Firing pin/ spring

Sight parts (ramps, screws.. whatever spares for the sights you have)

Bolts, sears, trigger parts will wear out... but considering that some of these guns are 100 years old...they seem to last a long long time. Original hammers can be welded up and re fitted if you break a notch

If you do have spares, some hand fitting to your action may be required. "Drop in" is not a likely expectation.

bratch

Fanatic
I have a spare/spares for just about every part in an M&P but I'm a bit OCD so it may be overkill for most people.

The slide stop is a good spare to have on the M&P they are known to break.

I'd also keep sear spring, striker spings, and sear plungers on hand. The sear spring and plunger are tiny and easy to lose.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
In addition to the above Glock parts:
Spring load Bearing - if it is fine before the match it should last. Only when shooters don't check and they wear excessively extractor issues "can" arise.
1.83 - 6.70 depending on model
If you are stocking up on parts might as well get the extractor depressor plunger spring - just in case
Slide stop spring - funny when your slide runs fwd.
2.70-3.75
If running the stock guide rod a spare rod
Complete assm 6.75-18.00 depending on model
Recoil spring if running other than stock - not if it breaks but gets a weak. bad factory ammo, poor reloads, and weak recoil springs are the cause of KBs and an out of battery condition due to the fore mentioned issues.
Also ensure you have a way / tool to clean your mags if you need to.
A few spare parts or spare pistol is better than not finishing a match.

Parts I have had to replace. Load bearing spring - owner installed the extractor depressor plunger assm backwards and fired his Glock in that condition a lot! Again I had to replace the spring load bearing in a different pistol. but it had just been freaking abused. I had to replace a mostly broken extractor in that pistol as well. I think he had been firing older Wolff steel cased ammo. Also A buddy of mine broke his guide rod assm - I think that was from not having reassembled the pistol correctly since his was the first pistol I mentioned here were I had to replace the spring load bearing. Both pistols still functioned 100% I had to replace slide stop spring I feel due to a few yrs of shooting hot - really hot reloads through it in my younger days, but man do i like that load.
A buddy of mine is a trainer & Glock armorer for the feds and he has not had to replace any parts due to breakage.
Chances are you will never have to replace a part but considering how cheap the parts are why not keep spares and change parts out routinely?
If you are concerned, the parts I would but don't change out would be the trigger spring. Every cleaning you can can check the spring load bearing (which isnt a spring) and and your recoil spring - replace if excessively worn.
Oh, keep a couple mag springs on hand as well.

AFA slide stop spring some take it out and it isnt an issue unless you "have" to lock the slide to the rear. They are cheap as well so have a spare it wont break the bank

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
As in the first aid kit - elastic wrap and a couple of ice paks along with whats been listed.
AFA always have when shooting chap stick, hat, eyes & ears, sunblock, and water.
To have when at a match gloves when the steel is hot or for staples and splinters etc.
If you are concerned about the sun wear a long sleeve shirt.

1100 - gas ring /seal and green scratch pad to keep the damn thing running - no offense

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
H&K - Ammo

Seriously, I stole the following from a Todd Green reply to a similar question on HKPro.com.

"The best solution, and the approach I see taken by most serious shooters, is a spare gun. Having a backup identical to your primary is expensive but provides you with a level of coverage that you just can't achieve with a spare parts kit.

Aside from that, parts I'd have on hand:
  1. trigger return spring
  2. sear spring

Note that neither of these is particularly easy to replace unless you know what you're doing and have the right tools.

Beyond that, it's a matter of whether you want to buy a bunch of parts as insurance with the knowledge that you'll likely never need them. If so, I'd probably look at getting:
  • firing pin
  • trigger bar
  • extractor
  • hammer strut (one of the few parts on the HK USP/P-series guns that have had repeated reports of breakage)
  • replacement springs for the entire gun
  • replacement roll pins

If you dry fire a lot, I'd be certain to have a spare firing pin and would add a spare firing pin block to my list, as well."

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
H&K - Ammo

Seriously, I stole the following from a Todd Green reply to a similar question on HKPro.com.

"The best solution, and the approach I see taken by most serious shooters, is a spare gun. Having a backup identical to your primary is expensive but provides you with a level of coverage that you just can't achieve with a spare parts kit.

Aside from that, parts I'd have on hand:
  1. trigger return spring
  2. sear spring

Note that neither of these is particularly easy to replace unless you know what you're doing and have the right tools.

Beyond that, it's a matter of whether you want to buy a bunch of parts as insurance with the knowledge that you'll likely never need them. If so, I'd probably look at getting:
  • firing pin
  • trigger bar
  • extractor
  • hammer strut (one of the few parts on the HK USP/P-series guns that have had repeated reports of breakage)
  • replacement springs for the entire gun
  • replacement roll pins
If you dry fire a lot, I'd be certain to have a spare firing pin and would add a spare firing pin block to my list, as well."

Pretty much agree.

Latest posts