Magwell for 5.25 XDM 9mm

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
I just picked up a 9mm 5.25 XDM for competition, along with the Taran basepads.

I'm looking for a magwell that will work with those basepads, but not be too huge. My buddy recommended the Pistol Gear Operator magwell, but it looks like they're out of stock and I need to get something this week.

I see that both Dawson and Springer Precision make them, but not really sure which route would be better since I've never used a magwell before.

In order of priority of what I need it to do:

1. Work with the Taran base pads.

2. Not be overly huge, or barely larger than the stock pistol.

I'm going to use this for 3 gun and USPSA.

What does everyone recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Tradkiller

Fanatic
I am also wanting a mag well springer has only black in stock and I'm wanting the red I was wondering how long it would be before they are back in stock. Also I see most guys use the 5" or 5.25" model I have the 4.5 model is this going to be a problem and what is the difference in barrel length have to do with being on target thanks New Guy Mike

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
For me, it's the feel of the pistol during recoil.
A 4" gun seems snappy, a 6" gun feels sluggish, but the 5" seems to be the butter zone for me.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
dawson ice hands down, ive had the springer and pistol gear but not even close to same fit and function

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
I wound up getting the pistol gear operator on a recommendation from my gunsmith who also competes in USPSA and 3 gun.

I received it before I dropped my gun off by him to get it tuned up so I installed the magwell and noticed that fit-wise, it fits the frame securely, but when you look at the inside, it doesn't blend well with the inside of the frame unless you modify the guns' internal ramps inside the magwell to match the pistol gear. Not a huge deal by any means, but it's extra work.

After my gunsmith finished getting the XDM all ready to race, it's got just under a 3 lbs trigger pull, and all of the internals were tuned up. It also has the powder river kit installed and further tuned. The trigger that is included with the kit is very similar to the stock trigger, except there's zero overtravel. He also took and made the transition between the magwell and the guns internal ramp smooth so that the mags won't get hung up during a reload. I have a couple pics on my phone so I'll try to upload them via tapatalk in a minute.

db55fe6b9b27a548d3caaadc33545228.jpg

fbf85d88837aa6ae782ccefa4a06a2bb.jpg

JohnCea

Well-Known Fanatic
Well,5.25" model I have the 4.5 model is this going to be a problem and what is the difference in barrel length have to do with being on target.

Latest posts