Luke Reninger U to faster fun log.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
I figured I would start a log to keep track of what I am doing to learn USPSA.

History:

Started shooting young but not much pistol work
Shot rifle a ton in the Army.
I reload for 9mm currently.

Shot my first match at H&H last month. Have shot two more matches since then. I sucked on the classifiers due to reloading issues and constant jams. My 1911 hates flat point bullets.

Things to work on shooting wise:

Transition speed
Metric targets (wasn't confident in the a zone placement even after Micah pointed it out).
Draw speed
Reloads, reloads reloads.
Stage planning (just going to have to hit up more matches)

Things to work on equipment wise:

Find a bullet that feeds and stick with it. Jams were constant at OKCGC.
Experiment with different mags. Wilsons are hard to seat when full.

Let the journey begin. I plan on keeping a round count in here as well.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Looking into the tripp mags. Want to give the wilsons and metalforms another shot before I scrap $400 in mags and basepads.

Shot 150 rounds yesterday. Worked on transitions and 20 yard accuracy. It was all I could do at a static (lane) range.

New 115 grainers seem to function better but will be going to 165 grain. Still had one failure to extract so new extractor from STI is on the way.

Total round count: 150

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot Ponca City for the first time. Great stages and good guys.

Match went very well for me. Need to work on reloads a little more. Did a little move and shooting and went good. Nothing crazy fast.

Still dropping some D's that I need to work on.

Learned at the classifier that I can't do a bill drill to save my life. Something to work on. Over 3/4 were C's or D's which doesn't work with minor.

On a plus note, tighten the extractor and went back to round nose bullets. Perfect functioning.

200 rounds down range.

Total for year: 350

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot USSA and H&H over the weekend. Movement was much better. Mag changes were okay but nothing stellar. Did quite a bit of moving while shooting.

Going to work transitions and mag changes this week. If it isn't freezing, going to practice a bill drill since I have no experience doing them.

Rounds down range 350

Total for year:700

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
I may be skipping D class at this rate. I shot a 61% classifier on Saturday. Shooting minor actually helped because I didn't have to reload. I have a couple 50%'s as well and then a few 16% ( ugh).

On a training note, been shooting for every other night doing at least reload drills. Mostly all static but they seem to be helping a little. Also been working on trigger squeeze and aiming at small dots. USSA match got me the other day because of quite a few distance targets and me going too fast.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot Wilshire a few days ago. Great match with some challenging stages.

Goods:

Shot very well with not too many C's and D's even at some long ranges. I realized I have to aim at the top of the A zone to hit center at 25+ yards.
Movement was pretty good.

Cons:

Took a stage for granted and added an extra reload which cost me time and points and made the targets further away.
Still need to practice mag changes.

Overall it's time to just work on being faster so it feels more comfortable.

I haven't dry fired in a week. Time to get back to that.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Been dry firing a 2011 every other night this week. Reloads are far simpler then I'm used to.

I'm trying to get used to the low hanging holster. Drawing doesn't seem to bad but the grip is huge compared to a 1911.

I have to move my hand quite a bit to press the mag release so I'm not sure how that is going to work.

My plan is to shoot limited for a couple matches and at least get classified. I pick up a new 1911 in .40 end of December. I'll decide then what to stick with but I really want to shoot single stack nationals this year. If I get a slot, I'll be shooting the 1911 exclusively.

a couple things, if I may.
luke.reninger said:
Been dry firing a 2011 every other night this week. Reloads are far simpler then I'm used to.

I'm trying to get used to the low hanging holster. Why have the gun start out low, when you have to bring it up to your eye? Lose the drop holster, imo, and youll never have to modify or re-practice your grip ever, no matter carry gun or competition gun.

I have to move my hand quite a bit to press the mag release so I'm not sure how that is going to work. Flip the gun in your hand, its ok.

My plan is to shoot limited for a couple matches and at least get classified. I pick up a new 1911 in .40 end of December. I'll decide then what to stick with but I really want to shoot single stack nationals this year. If I get a slot, I'll be shooting the 1911 exclusively.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the tips Mike. I'm using all borrowed equipment at the moment. If I stick with it, i'll order a standard holster.

I left my mags all behind the hip bone so that won't change between limited and SS.

I'm still getting used to rolling the hand. I have to roll far more on the 2011 then I have to on my 1911.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Got classified in single stack. Big "C" lol.

Had a good match at H&H. Was Shooting limited with feegee's 2011.There were a lot of no shoots and small A zone shots. I did much better then I expected. Obviously the dry fire on small targets has helped.

I did notice that I need to incorporate more blaster type targets into my dry fire. I was really slow getting on the gas going from distance to targets that really didn't need a good sight picture for the second shot.

There is always something to learn.

On a plus note, I pick up my new .40 major single stack in a couple days. I'm pretty excited to try it out. I will finish getting classified in limited though before switching back to single stack.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Got a slot for single stack nationals so I will shoot single stack exclusively sometime around the end of February. Until then I'm going to keep enjoying Limited.

I took the last three weeks off from training so it's time to get back to dryfire. It's way too cold for much else.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Been awhile since I updated.

I made A in limited. 2 months shooting limited and 4 months total in USPSA. Pretty stoked about that. It bumped me to B class in SS which I don't feel competitive in but it is good motivation to train more.

A big thanks to Feegee Matlock for loaning me a limited pistol and mags. That was a blast and I plan on buying a 6inch limited gun once I make A in SS.

I shot my first Level 2 match at the florida Open. I did well in SS considering I was shooting minor and had tons of gun issues. A running gun is all that matters now.

I'm back to shooting single stack exclusively with an STI Trojan in .40. 9mm just wasn't cutting it for scoring purposes.

Key training goals this month are field course and classifier skills.

I shoot an all classifier next week. So all classifier skills and reloads this week. Next week I'm starting moving while shooting, and entry and exits. I can shoot decently fast and get semi good hits but movement and reloads are killing me.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
Been working on my single stack skills with single stack nationals approaching in two months.

I shot two all classifier matches over the last two weeks. AAR comments are for me.

Pro's:

Reloads are still in the 1.4 - 1.5 range but are smooth. Time to work on more speed.
Good hits with decent speed at any range.
I can hit a 50 yard target with ease. Now counting to 6 is a different story lol.

Con's:

Steel shooting is kicking my butt. It is easier awesome or horrible. Need to get a consistent pace / sight picture so I know what right looks like.
Any time I lean and shoot, my accuracy suffers. Need to practice shooting from a box with barrier.
Need to practice off hand and one handed shooting. I never do and it wasn't horrible but it was slow. Really need to see if holding gun straight up instead of canted helps or hurts.

Overall I'm happy with my progress. I need to get back on a regular dry fire and live fire schedule now that the cold weather is going away.

Latest posts