Looking for Military matches

psalms144

Fanatic
I'm looking for shooting competitions in side the oklahoma National Guard. I need to know who organizes the matches and how to get started in a tag match. If any of you are Guard soldiers and could help me out i would be thankful....

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Hows it going, Aaron? What unit are you in?

I used to be in HHC 45th INF BDE, I was there from 2003-2009. I'm not sure what tag stands for, is that a new acronym?

Have your command ask Joint Force Headquarters if the state is going to have matches this year (since most of the Brigade is returning from Afghanistan)

I used to shoot on the OKNG's state team. Chief Farley used to run it. The matches used to go as follows.

State matches: SGM Match (this was around this time of the year)
Governor's Match (around September)

Regional: MACV (I think we usually shot this in August, 3 day match with about 6-8 matches in TX)

National: Wilson Matches (week long, we shot 2 to 3 matches a day, this also doubled as an international match)

psalms144

Fanatic
Alright today is a beautiful day. thank you. Im with the 171 FA, but I'm still training with the Rsp till i leave for basic. I talked to a Sgt with the "national marksmanship training center" who got me started looking for competitions in Oklahoma. He said too get in touch with the "marksmanship training coordinator". I have found the coordinator for every state but Oklahoma. The next step was to find out when the next "Tag mach was" its the qualifying mach. IF tag stands for anything i have know idea what it is.
I have only been competing for about a year in Uspsa and Idpa matches. I would love to try three gun too.

So next Drill i should ask about the "joint force headquarters" for more information ?
In a military competition do you use privately owned weapons?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Find a few buddy's that want to shoot. Then we have to find some companies or the army to give u done funding for shirts and guns and gear.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright today is a beautiful day. thank you. Im with the 171 FA, but I'm still training with the Rsp till i leave for basic. I talked to a Sgt with the "national marksmanship training center" who got me started looking for competitions in Oklahoma. He said too get in touch with the "marksmanship training coordinator". I have found the coordinator for every state but Oklahoma. The next step was to find out when the next "Tag mach was" its the qualifying mach. IF tag stands for anything i have know idea what it is.
I have only been competing for about a year in Uspsa and Idpa matches. I would love to try three gun too.

So next Drill i should ask about the "joint force headquarters" for more information ?
In a military competition do you use privately owned weapons?

I would say that the reason you are having a hard time finding the state marksmanship coordinator is due to his deployment. The brigade isn't completely done de-mobilizing and he is helping with that. So I doubt there will be a match soon. His name is Chief Roger Farley, he is also the state level armorer for the guard. He also heads up the Small Arms Training Team. You should be able to have your command ask JFHQ (Joint Force Headquarters) if they plan on having any shooting matches this year.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly they won't allow you to do any type of shooting until you have completed basic training.

Any match put on by the guard must be shot with issued weapons.

Find a few buddy's that want to shoot. Then we have to find some companies or the army to give u done funding for shirts and guns and gear.

Jesse, if anybody could get money out of the OKNG it would be you....but I think it would still be a miracle!

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, and 3 gun is awesome and I feel like it and USPSA are much more practical than most of the military matches I ever shot.

That being said, it would still be free ammo and trigger time. Chief Farley is an outstanding shooter and coach!

psalms144

Fanatic
Yes I would have to agree that uspsa is the most exciting form of competition, but i would love the chance to compete within the military. I want to stand out as a good soldier and become a better shooter at the same time.
IF its true that you have to complete basic before competing, that wont be a problem. I'm just looking for info now and trying to meet the right people that are in the shooting community

Latest posts