Lights out match

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
OK, I know you guys are all shooting bigger matches, and this is me being worried about a really small laid back one, but I want some advice. I shoot USPSA when I can, which has only been about once a month and I had to take a few months off due to schedules. The local shooting range that I am a member of has monthly IDPA matches on the third Monday. It has always fallen on the day I work, so I have yet to be able to shoot in it. I was all excited about getting to shoot it this month, until the email came out informing everyone that this is a lights out match. You have to shoot with a handheld light. I have never shot in the dark, or while holding a light, or with IDPA rules. Now I'm a little overwhelmed and worried that adding the dark will be too much. How hard is shooting in the dark and any tips for shooting while holding a light?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
it's not difficult, just unsafe.
I hate dark stages, It's impossible for the RO's to do the things they're supposed to do.
Running around in the dark with a hot weapon with spent casing & other props on the ground to trip over isn't a good idea for a match.
If they want to bill it as "good training", then fine train in the dark, without the hurried actions under the timer.

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
Wall said:
it's not difficult, just unsafe.
I hate dark stages, It's impossible for the RO's to do the things they're supposed to do.
Running around in the dark with a hot weapon with spent casing & other props on the ground to trip over isn't a good idea for a match.
If they want to bill it as "good training", then fine train in the dark, without the hurried actions under the timer.
I kind of thought the same thing when I read it. I thought WTH? In the dark? But I didn't know if this was a common thing for IDPA. It unnerves me as a shooter as well as a squad member while others shoot. I may just pass on this one.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
One of the local ranges here runs a night match in June and July. I shot one last summer, it was fun, but I passed the following month. I didn't like it because you shoot all the stages in the daylight, and then wait around for it to get dark, and then shoot them again. It was past my bedtime. I used a Streamlight ProTac 2L, a smaller pocket light. If you're shooting with new shooters it would be unnerving, I'm sure.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Hand held isn't fun cause your basically shooting one handed. If you can use a weapon light or a laser it's fun. You might search YouTube for some tactical ninja's video explaining shooting with a flashlight.

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
Feegee Matlock said:
No to sound negative, but I think there should not be dark stages or matches is way to unsafe and I will for now on refuse to RO one!!! I am not going to put myself, or others in danger. It's bullshit!!!
But in the dark no one will see your ass hanging out, lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist since your friends were ruthless in another thread about you showing your ass lol.

Seriously I agree and think I may sit this one out. I'm very uncomfortable with it. I prefer lights on!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Feegee Matlock said:
No to sound negative, but I think there should not be dark stages or matches is way to unsafe and I will for now on refuse to RO one!!! I am not going to put myself, or others in danger. It's bullshit!!!
Not negative just realistic. I hated RO ing those dark stages at Heartland

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Feegee Matlock said:
no, you don't sound negative at all :nea:

The Antichrome

I've shot a few low-light idpa stages, and dark stages in uspsa matches... They tend to be simpler and shorter than normal.

Some dark matches will have an experience requirement for participation.

The question I would ask myself is whether I have confidence in the club running the match, or are they a bunch of yay-hoo's who decided "hey lets shoot in the dark this time"

I once shot a low light stage on a TV show, with many cameras, fires, flashing lights, and smoke machines going, for a $5K prize...and ended up looking like a monkey humping a football. So go for it, and let us know how it was.

But yes, its sucks to RO, scorekeep, restore targets, and pick up your mags...

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I never liked the dark stages at H&H. Once you try shooting in the dark you realize that you need light to do it successfully but we are never allowed to use lights. I have lights on all my nightstand guns for a reason.

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
Jesse Tischauser said:
I never liked the dark stages at H&H. Once you try shooting in the dark you realize that you need light to do it successfully but we are never allowed to use lights. I have lights on all my nightstand guns for a reason.
I'm not so worried about being successful as far as winning, I'm worried about juggling a light and a gun and running around in the dark without shooting an unintentional target!

Jared LaVarnway

Well-Known Fanatic
I wouldn't be so gung-ho about it either. My first low light shooting experience was at an Arkansas state match, and the SO's were very concerned about safety. Plus there was no movement in the stage, so I would think it would depend on how controlled the environment is along with the experience level of the other shooters in your squad.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
If h&h would allow a flashlight I wouldn't mind the dark stages so much, but since they don't, I always dread shooting those ones.
I have a streamlight TLR1 on my bedside pistol and a surefire Z2LED for a reason too.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I shot a couple of flashlight stages with a revolver and I still don't know how I reloaded. :scratchhead:

Not a fan of the dark stages either but I'm glad to shoot one every once in awhile, it sure is eye opening in more ways than one. With night sites it's almost like cheating, I can tell you that much. Definitely agree with the match management issues.

Feegee

The Magic Man
What do you do with the new shooters, and it is there first match, first stage?? Just close your eyes and hope for the best? Hell I have shot with people who are not that new, and I did not even want to shoot with them in the sunlight. Now maybe a proper LOW light stage would be ok but Once again dark stages= bullshit they should be done away with!

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
So... How many of you people actually carry a gun?

Daylight only?

Stores sell bazillions if sure fire lights every year. I'd assume a bunch of those lights are sold to permit holders.

In my opinion ( since a ton of crimes happen at night) if you carry a pistol you should be able to run it with a flashlight.

A weapons mounted light is great---- for a bona fide "operator".... First time you light up your old lady or dog making a bump in the night that rule about pointing a gun at stuff we are willing to kill gets real close to home.

If your competent in strong hand only shooting.... Adding a light is easy enough.... And like any other handgun skill it's "new" until you have learned it as second nature.
Every one of us was green as grass at every aspect of this once upon a time.... Drawing from a holster is risky too, but we learn it to play.

Night shooting at matches..... If your MD has thought things through it's not unsafe at all. Like any other sport... If you don't have the right facility, equipment or supervision don't do it

As a participant... If your not ready, prepared, trained or confident in the situation don't do it.

I've never shot a night match yet that was "darker" than a parking garage.

Latest posts