J.C.'s shooting log

45recoil

likes to party
This is a good source to track my drills and shooting. After TDSA I know have a set of tools to get the job done.

Ill try my damndest to post every day that I train or shoot cuz this forum/thread will help me be accountable.

So today I busted out my Steve Anderson: refinement and repitition book and did drill 1-14 over a period of an hour.

I don't currently have a timer to get a par time and adjust speed according to drills i just focused on aquiring a positive draw, grip and sight picture. I also am limited on space so I simply reduced the size of hit zone on a uspsa target, a lil larger than an index card.

Tonight I will do the second set of drills.

Looking forward to improving my skill.

Attachments

• IMG_20121113_161604.jpg
    IMG_20121113_161604.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 39

45recoil

likes to party
Oh you just wanted the words "look forward" and "your ballz" in the same sentence in the context of training drills without it getting all,weird and the occasional eye contact.

Airic

I shoot.
Im back to working those same drills also, nice to get back to the basics.

You could always download a timer app to your phone or computer, all you need is the par function.

45recoil

likes to party
As promised....1 1/2 hours of drills. I did the same drills as this afternoon but with a (crappy) shot timer app. Took.a lil bit of time to get it to pick up the click of the trigger.

I also put black tape over the left lens of my shooting glasses to help my dominite eye focus harder on the front sight.

Then topped it off with slow methotical reloads working on the basics TDSA instilled in me- everything from the cant of my wrist, to looking in the mag to reestablishing PROPER grip and finding my front sight while rolling the sight back on target.

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
So is your draw faster now that Marshall isn't there for you to stare at his package like you did all day Sunday?

45recoil

likes to party
Did more drills tonight, trying to adjust to the Apex FSS.

Even did some El Prez drills without par times and removing the slack for each shot up until the last sight picture.
Once again used the one lens blacked out on my glasses to run the drills. I've found this method helps me out so far.

45recoil

likes to party
What better way to end a 12 hour shift of lifting heavy boxes than to toss in some drills.

I.did drills 15-27 of Steve Andersons drills book. Minus a couple do to limited available space to move around.

Did these drills w/o buzzer but just gauged it a lil and sped up on the last set of draws and presentations.
Used the blacked out lens to help dominate eye focus on front sight. While doing the drills I focused on aquiring a clean A-zone sight picture while also focusing aquiring proper grip out of draw and reloads.

I'm pretty sure neighbors downstairs appreciated the thuds of my mags hitting the floor from 9:45-10:30 at night. ;)

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I drop my mags in a box filled with an old towel. It's a must have for shotgun reload practice too.

45recoil

likes to party
Finished up 1 1/2 hour drills. I forgot to get paper plates to do plate drills so I ran drills 1-27 with timer and w/o the shooting glasses. My times were a hair faster. I also put a slightly smaller than business card zone on the head are of the target. Surely being accustomed to these small zones here will translate to more Alphas at a match. Come December we will see.

Need to work on the turning drills. Snapping my head to target before fully rotating around sped it up a lot. Still getting that grip and presentation while maintaining the proper grip pressure seemed more of a challenge. Something to work on for sure.

Although I didn't post last nights log, it mostly consisted of reloads. When that timer goes off is when I fumble the reload a lil more. Worked on indexing the mag to the magwell helped again. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast...I worked on eliminating extra twist and movements when reaching for mags.

I remedied the thud of the mags by tossing down one of the chair cushions.

I will need to get to a range to work on live firing, but H&H frowns upon drawing. Meh!!

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Despite the semi-retarded range staff at H&H and their unfamiliarity with their own rules, you can draw and fire there. You'd probably have better luck not being hassled for not breaking the rules in one of the rifle bays, I'll be practicing at OKCGC two or three more times before the end of the weekend, and you could practice with me as a guest if you want to get a benchmark with a shot timer.

45recoil

likes to party
Did mostly reload drills since getting my SSS limited magwell today. Its suh-weet.

Not sure if I should go with this texture. Did this on a spare ar grip I had in the box-o-junk.

Attachments

• IMG_20121123_211240-1.jpg
    IMG_20121123_211240-1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20121123_211304.jpg
    IMG_20121123_211304.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 36

45recoil

likes to party
Well hell, been too long since I did my drills. At least in a set form as in my book.

I did get Mike Seeklanders "Your Competition Handgun Training Program " book and I'm impressed. It gives you a systematic breakdown of a shooting season involving dry fire, live fire, mental, visual and physical training.

Ill start the dry fire drills soon and once Jan 1st gets here I plan on following this program to a T.

Combined with the other set of drills I've gotten from Steve Andersons book I'm set to definately improve.

45recoil

likes to party
It has started, back to the drills. I intentionally took a LONG time off from any gun drills just to see what had stuck skill wise...and anyone that was at OKCGC this past Sunday saw almost nothing.

First 3 stages I practically didn't do ONE thing right. Sight alignment, trigger prep, grip pressure, draw, presentation, sight picture etc etc.

So with the harsh reality of how poorly I did, I hit some drills hard.

I have decided to follow Mike Seeklanders program as closely as possible.
Drill fire drills of various drawing positions, then visual training.

Visual training is very useful. Nothing exotic just basic tracking.of moving objects.

Now I still have an issue with.live fire drill considering I can't find a place that'll let me draw or move and fire.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Jared Carpenter said:
Now I still have an issue with.live fire drill considering I can't find a place that'll let me draw or move and fire.

If you don't mind going for a drive there is the Department of Wildlife range out at Canton Lake. I've been shooting out there all last spring and summer. You can do just about anything you want to out there. I got some wooden stakes and paper plates and setup some steel challenge stages and some other training stages a few times. It's also a 200 yd range if you want to do some rifle work. I like to make a weekend out of it and camp at the Corp of Engineers campgrounds on the lake and do a bit of shooting on both Sat and Sun.

45recoil

likes to party
I appreciate it, its certainly an option but id like to get a few live fire days in the week, and with work..I never know when ill be off.

I did however find a gas blow back.m&p...its just in the full size configuration

Latest posts