Ishapore 2A1 project.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
For those who may not know, the Ishapore 2A1 is basically a No. 1 Mk 3 Enfield, but made with higher quality steel so it can handle 7.62x51 pressure. It also has a 12 round box magazine, rather than the .303 Enfields 10 round mag.

I got this rifle earlier this week, got an awesome deal on it from a guy who just didn't get to shoot it like he thought he was going to.

ishy001.jpg

Seems at some point somebody decided it was a great idea to dip all old rifle stocks in a nasty shellac. I can't stand it, so the first thing I did was sand (carefully) and clean the shellac off, then I re finished it with boiled linseed oil.

ishapore011.jpg

Trying to decide what to do next. I am either going to leave it as is, or I will make it some sort of sniper repro.

been

Well-Known Fanatic
i know iv seen this somewere but cant quite put my finger on it.....i think it looks great. Is it all matching?

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
It is all matching, and the stock has no visible repairs. Most Ishapores look like they got hit by a chainsaw a few times.....

been

Well-Known Fanatic
i would probably leave it as is then. I personally would not feel good about having a rifle like that drilled and tapped. but at the same time, its better to have an old rife like that stay in use then to gather dust or rust in a safe or closet. i say do what you feel best.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
i would probably leave it as is then. I personally would not feel good about having a rifle like that drilled and tapped. but at the same time, its better to have an old rife like that stay in use then to gather dust or rust in a safe or closet. i say do what you feel best.

S&K makes a no drill no tap mount, I would use that one if I were to put a scope on it. It requires a little bit of stock modification, but not too much. I really feel a bit different about this rifle than I do other Mil-Surp rifles. It wasn't really a "Battle Rifle" in any major conflict, so while I wouldn't sporterize it I don't feel the same way about modifying that I would if someone sporterized an old 1903A3.

Latest posts