indoor grilling

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I do not have the time to cook with and then wait for the charcoal to go out before putting a grill away( if I do anything but this ,our dogs,cats or wild animals from out area may get burned or start a fire) .

I hate propane too( leaves a taste in the food). MY electric grill(outdoor only) i s ok but again the dogs, cats like to lick it so I have to guard it until cool...PIA

I found that a Lodge cast iron pan cooks meat--especially steaks well. clos e to the outdoor experience. it is ok. but the odor last for days(and my Mrs is a vegetarian and hates the mess and odor in the house.

Could not sleep one night and saw a Philips infomercial about their new indoor, almost smokeless, cooks like an outdoor grill. Since it came with a coupon for $200 of food from a store they are promoting, I took t he bait. It is on its way . I will follow up with how close it comes to advertising.

If true, it will not stink up the hous e (much ;) ) or make a mess with splatter and will cook the meat properly. I rarely believe ads. I did some research before ordering. it was worth a try for the price I paid

follow up posts next week

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to pics and a range report. (get it?:p)

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
steak tonight done in the lodge pan left too much fat ON the steak ruining the taste. cooked longer and I would have a well done steak--MEH

I am hoping this grill drains the fays away like charcoal grilling does

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Have you ever thought of doing Sous Vide type cooking?

You basically use water (not BOIL!) to a precise temperate, cook your steak, and then you sear it for 2-4 minutes.
You can cook fried chicken, fish, eggs, etc that way. It's pretty good, not perfect, but with the situation like yours could work out well.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Have you ever thought of doing Sous Vide type cooking?

You basically use water (not BOIL!) to a precise temperate, cook your steak, and then you sear it for 2-4 minutes.
You can cook fried chicken, fish, eggs, etc that way. It's pretty good, not perfect, but with the situation like yours could work out well.
]

thanks--that is a new one on me. not a big fan of using heat and plastic near food though.

Raylan Givens

Well-Known Fanatic
I've cooked on a gas grill for almost 60 people before, more than once. Never heard a complaint about the taste.

Of course within 30 minutes the majority of them are drunk as a bicycle. Still though....

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
back when propane was the obvious choice(and we had just cats who ignored the grill) I used wood chips in a can with water(steam). nice effect. improved taste.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Sous vide is a great alternative to bbq for appropriate meats for me. I love to bbq on my pellet grill and have a Weber gas rig for weeknights but a good sous vide steak is phenomenal. I throw a vacuum sealed frozen steak in before work, fire the thing up to 103 from my phone at the shop a few hours later and then 30 seconds a side on a hot cast iron pan. Melt in your mouth. This sounds like a good alternative. Tagged for pics.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
well..it showed up. nice unit has on/off switch, grill surface that is coated and removable for cleaning. removable fat tray at the bottom for easy cleaning. Grilled 2 x ribeyes yesterday. no warm up needed for the unit. 6 minutes to heat the grill surface and off I went. 20 minutes to the most juicy steaks I have had in quite a while. Perfect medium rare( more rare than medium --that is how I like them). the sear came with grill marks and sealed the juices inside the steak(vs letting the fat sweat out like the cast iron pan does). . very little meat cooking smell. no smoke while cooking. very little splatter of fat(all contained within the unti clean up was pretty easy becaus e the grill and fat pan come out. One bug a boo... the insid e of the unit needs to be cleaned too. They want you to wipe it clean with toweling...does not work well. will contact them for better suggestions and get back to those who are following the thread. once cooled , I think a scruffy sponge(like those use d on teflon pans) and a bit of soap + a quick dry( you CANNOT use water insid e the unit) would suffice to remove the animal fats on the side of the unit.

BTW the coupons for the market are for $50 per order of $150. ordinarily I would fuss about this misguidance but the prices are fair, the selection good and I have to eat anyway so I get the $200 worth of food for free(kind of) and some nice goodies to use on the grill( wife gets fish, I get porterhouse steaks...)
I am at work now so I have to add the pics later

Last edited:

Latest posts