In 3Gun only, which handgun caliber?

Bentsight

Well-Known Fanatic
Not trying to start a debate, just trying to learn. Really just getting started and looking for points to consider. Most if not all my shooting will be local level matches but I'm not ruling out a major match within driving distance in the future.
Thanks
Mike

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
In my opinion, with time plus scoring 9mm is fine (and cheaper!)

However, when there are major/minor categories, you have to use major (.45) ETA: What Jesse said... .40 cal

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
.40 is probably the most versatile but a 9mm will get you 4-5 more rounds in your mags in outlaw matches. If the local match u plan to shoot use USPSA scoring you gotta go with a .40 to take advantage of major power factor scoring.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I'm not a fan of the .40 caliber so I go with either 9mm or 45acp.
90% of the time it's 9mm because it holds more rounds. When I feel like doing a single stack, then I go with the 45

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
40 S&W is the most flexible caliber in practical shooting right now.

If you reload you can make minor 40 that feels like cheating, plus you can get major scoring at matches that use the USPSA rulebook (Old Fort is the only semi local match that I know using USPSA rules).

But if outlaw 3 gun is really all you ever plan to do then 9mm is the way to go. Make sure you pick a platform that lets you maximize capacity.

uscbigdawg

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm building a 5" 2011 in 9mm for a reason. My 6" 40 is for USPSA Limited and the occasional (but very rare) USPSA multi-gun event.

Rich

Bentsight

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the info.
I've been running a stock XD Tacital in 9mm for this first year and now trying to decide how I want to proceed. I've been shooting a limited number of other makes/models to see what works best for me. Still up in the air whether to mod. this one or purchase another with the features suggested in some of the previous replies.
Pistol limitations became obvious at this weekend's match. A stage was set up head to head between shooters that required us to first knock down several poppers with SG then transition to pistol and clear a plate rack. My initial time was fast enough to get into the shoot offs and each time I was faster through the SG by at least 3.5 seconds than my competitors but shooting the pistol I was caught every time while waiting on the very poor reset my present pistol has. I find myself trying to decide between just sticking with this gun and shooting more practice ammo, spending the money and fix the trigger/reset or replace the gun with one that already has all the bells and whistles.(better trigger/reset, lighter weight, more capacity, funnelled mag well, extended mag & slide releases etc.)
Seems that many on this forum have already been through this and I'm looking for some advice rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.
Thanks
Mike

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Mike,

I don't know you from Adam, but I'm going to tell you that a new whiz bang limited gun isn't going to make you a better handgun shooter. I'd get some of the Arrendondo extensions so you get 21-22 in the mags, replace the hellishly strong recoil spring and shoot away.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I am starting to think practicing with Remington bulk 550 .22 rounds will help your pistol shooting when they miss fire you know if you had a good trigger pull or if you flinched or pulled.

Are the arrendondo +5 legal for glock 9mm in limited?

taymoor

Skilled Lover

Legal or not, I hope you enjoy stopping everything to pick up your ammo and search for your spring, follower, extension, etc. when the magazine falls to pieces

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I've had problems (multiple times) with the arredondo extensions. Kurt Miller said that this was common with Arredondos

jtischauser

I am starting to think practicing with Remington bulk 550 .22 rounds will help your pistol shooting when they miss fire you know if you had a good trigger pull or if you flinched or pulled.

The +5 Arredondo or Dawson extended base pads are legal in USPSA limited and 3 gun tactical and limited divisions.

The first and only Arredondo base pad I bought went boooooing with bullets everywhere. Shortly after I switched to the Dawson pads and it never happened again.

jtischauser

Mike,

I don't know you from Adam, but I'm going to tell you that a new whiz bang limited gun isn't going to make you a better handgun shooter.

I've been thinking about this more. The 2011 platform is more accurate and has a lighter & shorter trigger. All of those things mean they will make you a better shooter. The only trade off is that 2011's can be less reliable if they aren't built by a reputable gun smith or if they aren't properly maintained.

When I first started and was having Accurate Iron build me 5 custom Glocks, Kurt Miller told me they would hold me back. At time I didn't know what he meant because I hadn't shot the 1911/2011 platform at all. I was also scared of the maintenance due to my lack of knowledge with the platform. Now that I have been shooting my Gocks for 2 years and have spent some time behind a 1911 I have to agree with Kurt. I do think that learning with the plastic pistol platform has made me a better overall shooter on all 3 guns. The trigger control, sight alignment, and grip have to be that much more refined and perfect with a gun that is harder to shoot fast and accurately.

If u want to upgrade your XD it will make you a better shooter but so will taking classes and practicing. It's up to you to figure out which piece of the puzzle will help u the most.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
The XX11 platforms are definitely easier to shoot and more accurate, but the difference is not as night and day as you might think. Using the Arrendondo extensions (which were the only ones available a few years ago) my XD tac. holds 23 rounds with a nice trigger and holds 4" at 25 yards. The Arrendondo extensions have run well for me, although I never ran them through a lot of matches.

People still get M and GM cards with Glocks in Limited, I promise that having a XX11 isn't a requirement for delivering a lot of butt kicking, Dave S. almost won L-10 nats in 2010 with a Glock for goodness sake.

jtischauser

The XX11 platforms are definitely easier to shoot and more accurate, but the difference is not as night and day as you might think. Using the Arrendondo extensions (which were the only ones available a few years ago) my XD tac. holds 23 rounds with a nice trigger and holds 4" at 25 yards. The Arrendondo extensions have run well for me, although I never ran them through a lot of matches.

People still get M and GM cards with Glocks in Limited, I promise that having a XX11 isn't a requirement for delivering a lot of butt kicking, Dave S. almost won L-10 nats in 2010 with a Glock for goodness sake.

I agree completely. Several top 3 gunners use Glocks. Its just easier to hit a 4" plate at 15 yards after running 20 yards with a 2" gun with 2# trigger than with a 4" gun with 4# trigger. The mechanics gotta be there for either machine but the 2011 is gonna be more forgiving. It won't solve a jerky trigger finger though.

Bentsight

Well-Known Fanatic
Good stuff Guys, appreciate sharing the information.
I shoot an old Kimber .45 in idpa that has served me quite well for years but it seems this 3G is all about high speed low drag and the single stack requires too many reloads to keep up. I bought the XD Tactical 9 for it's similar feel to my 1911 vs the Glock 34 so the switch to a 2011 wouldn't be a problem. It's taken me awhile, but I have learned that you can't buy a game and that most of the time it's "more about the Indian and not the arrow".
Thanks again for your help
Mike

Latest posts