If the baby’s ugly........

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
This may be a bit of a touchy topic, but.......meh.

There seems to be a very large spike in home builds lately. I do see this as a great thing, I love to tinker as well. Guys doing things for themselves, saving some cash is always good to see. Every well intentioned project can be take the wrong fork in the road.

What disturbs me is a bit of a touchy subject. There are many examples that have not turned out well, poorly fitted parts, imperfect machining and blotchy, dirt filled refinish job. I don't mean to be critical of someone's work. I do appreciate the intent and the efforts that one puts out, when learning new tasks, rarely is a job perfect the first time. The point of this ramble is the comments that these builds generate.

I see comments like "perfect job" "best build ever" "beautiful" "perfection"....stuff like that from many people. This is the meat of this topic. Why is it that mediocre work drives so much praise? This even happens with a few "manufacturers" that are clearly not producing top shelf work. How or why is mediocrity so highly praised? I know many of those that comment, I know they KNOW quality and what isn't. One particular manufacturer produces pistol that have lesser visual quality than many large manufacturers.

I do give credit where credit is due, there are some "home builders" that are doing exceptional work. Many of these guys have gotten unsolicited praise from some of the top names in the business. This praise comes from EARNED respect, dedication and a lot of hard work. A few times in the past I have commented about features on a pistol that I liked, even if I did not like the entire build. I did learn that the old saying, "if ya don't have anything good to say, keep your mouth shut" often is a great route to take.

I'm just confused about the fake praise or unnecessary fluff comments. Thoughts?

If this is a bit of a touchy topic, feel free to remove if it's a box you don't want opened.

Last edited:

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm just confused about the fake praise or unnecessary fluff comments. Thoughts?
That **** drives me nuts. If I genuinely like something I'll comment. If I don't or I think it looks like @ss, I won't comment. I do sometimes poke the bear with "that sure is different" comment.

I won't even stroke the ego of some of the "masters" if I don't care for the look. It is amusing watching the masses heap the same praise comments as their last build.

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
I have seen a lot of this over on addicts for sure.. There is one smith in particular That is a big offender IMO and everyone says how beautiful it is.. If i dont comment as a rule means Im not impressed lack of comment says it all..

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
The way I look at it, I can always find something about a build that I like.
However, "nice grips" is a MAJOR insult to some builders.

Latest posts