IDPA Safety Officer Class

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Will and I took the SO class today. We were the only ones from OKC in attendance. Hopefully more OKC people take the March 8th class so we can get IDPA off the ground at the okcgc soon.

FWIW, a quick overview of the class. There is a required pretest before you take the class. The test is 60 questions and multiple choice. You only have to make a 70%. Even Jesse could pass this one. The SO class is all in one day. It was roughly 4.5 hrs classroom and 4.5 hours practical exercises that included participating as shooter, scorer, and SO for a couple sample stages. IDPA recently updated/changed their rule book. Most of the classroom time was spent going over the changes. It was kind of nice not having to forget old rules and learn the new changes, since I'm completely new to IDPA. Overall, the Safety Officer Instructors did a very good job of keeping the students involved and interested.

(I had zero issues with the USPSA RO class, but the 2 day format is a beat down. Leaving house at 520 am and getting home at 830 pm for IDPA SO class was not desirable, but I was glad to get it over with in one long day.)

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I need your notes :)
The pre-class test has rotating questions drawn from a pool of questions. They are presented in a random sequence. Shades of the USPSA online Range Officer tests, if you will, as far as needing to read the whole rulebook.

The process to find answers can be sped up if you categorize a question then use the table of contents to zero in on the pages needed to read to answer.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I need to get my **** together and take this class. Does the IDPA SO class require future class to keep the certification current?

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
. . . Does the IDPA SO class require future class to keep the certification current?
Afterwards It does require the every two years online re-certification quiz at this point, after the initial in person class. Quiz is similar to USPSA RO/CRO tests.

Latest posts