ICORE open gun

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
not to sound cocky but your local revolver shooters come in anywhere from the top half to 2/3rds of the pack. considering they reload three to four times more than the other divisions it isn't too bad...
I don't know about everybody else, but that sounded cocky to me.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
This is all you need to know:

2012-02-17140837.jpg

he he :eek:nthequiet:

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
When it comes to an open Revo, it is all about tradeoffs. Heavy makes it easy to stay on target for multiple hits, makes it harder to engage more than one target, starting and stopping the revo. Put the weight closer to your hands and pivot point of the revo. Heads up displays allows you to seem more, but it easy to lose the dot when swithching hands and sometimes finding the dot on the draw, a C-more puts the dot farther down the barrel making any movement of the barrel moves the dot more. A tube can make the shooter concentrate on the dot and not the target. "See the target, be aware of the dot"Then you get into grips and callibers. Let me know when you will be back to Okc ICORE and I'll bring an extra 8 shot 627. Curly won't mind. Or if you have 38 special ammo I have early model 10's set up for Open. You just need to shoot different designs to really know how YOU like them. It matters not how well we like our setup it is how YOU like the set up. Good luck. ;)
later rdd

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
That's good info. I seem to like lighter guns, so maybe open won't work for me. I just need to know what I'm missing.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Tell me all about it.

It ain't nothing special, it ain't even a good open gun. Get an 8 shot. I just slapped the optic on there to play around.

And if you like lighter guns, you'll hate this one. It's a tank! I'm thinking about milling the barrel lug some and I need to chop the front of the mount. I'm going to cut it for moons and play with .38LC in it and see how close to major I can get with it.

Hey Roger, did you see what Stan did with that K frame he was running Saturday in the rain? He was running moons without having it cut for moons. :O

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic

Hey Roger, did you see what Stan did with that K frame he was running Saturday in the rain? He was running moons without having it cut for moons. :O

Yea but he cut his rims on the ammo he is using. brb. gotta go pick up the lunches

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm back, Stan and a different drummer comes to mind. He even contours the back of the web on the revo a little to make a smaller distance to the trigger. No. 343 I have seen light open guns. Bub Bond had a pencil barrel Open gun and shot it very well, a real terror on steel. And then you would shoot lighter bullets to make the revo snap back, but with the pf of ICORE it does not have to be that snappy. It is a lot of testing and changing to fit your style. And we know Old 343 is mighty stylish. :p

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm back, Stan and a different drummer comes to mind. He even contours the back of the web on the revo a little to make a smaller distance to the trigger. No. 343 I have seen light open guns. Bub Bond had a pencil barrel Open gun and shot it very well, a real terror on steel. And then you would shoot lighter bullets to make the revo snap back, but with the pf of ICORE it does not have to be that snappy. It is a lot of testing and changing to fit your style. And we know Old 343 is mighty stylish. :p
Yep. I'd have never thunk that one up. Mostly because I'm too lazy to process brass like that. But if I ever hit the lottery and get to quit working look out!

ChrisC

Revolver Division
if i hit the lotto i damn sure won't be reloading brass... ill just buy it from the right people

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I also think that it was a different solution, but I admire his ingenuity.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I finally brought a 627 home. It came with three different grips and I already butchered one of them up trying to find something that works. I have this theory that with wimpy ICORE loads I might be able to use wood. Yes, I got wood on my gun. They remind me a lot of the grips that ChrisC had on his revolver at the IRC. I took the finger grips off and they feel great. I now have to work on some kind of finish for them. I quickly started having second thoughts on the open gun. As soon as I put an old red dot on the mount I didn't like the feel of the weight or how high the dot was above my normal pointing. I know that after a few thousand repetitions I would get used to it, but I wound up taking the mount off and installing the iron sights. Maybe when I am ancient and venerable like Bubber I will re-visit the open thing. Thanks for all the inputs on the open setup. I am now collecting recipes for 38 SC and LC loads. From what I've been told and read so far it seems that the leading powders are Solo 1000, N320 and Clays with a 160 grain moly bullet.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
i bought a new mount for my c-more and mounted it directly.. i like it a lot better now

Attachments

• 627.jpg
    627.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 58

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Will do leighton,

343..... It's kind of like racecars, if they ain't fast you gotta make them pretty......