I "Shot" the Hostage...

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So, we had active shooter training today. My first time using a weapon mounted light, first time "clearing" rooms. First scenario, I came to a turn in the hallway, did not even see the room to my left, went to the right and was "shot" several times in the back, and the other guy shot me in the front. Clearing a building by yourself just plain sucks.

Second scenario was with a partner, I found the "shooter", but shot the "hostage" and shooter from the hallway, instead of entering the room and identifying the shooter. Shooter had the hostage at gunpoint, and I blocked my partner from entering the room and helping.

Around 10 years of concealed carry training is not helping me with this. Different skill set for sure.

I seemed to get tunnel vision looking at just the gun mounted light, I just turned it on and left it on during the drill should consider only using it when needed.

It was a good day of training. Pretty sure I can get one or two of the SWAT guys to work with me on basics. I am glad they are doing more training. They are supposed to get me a light and mount for my AR-15, I am down with free (well, they own it, I use it) stuff on my guns. As always, tactics change from knowledge and experience.

It is very interesting when you are on the other side of stuff. Hunting people is a strange sport.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So, we had active shooter training today. My first time using a weapon mounted light, first time "clearing" rooms. First scenario, I came to a turn in the hallway, did not even see the room to my left, went to the right and was "shot" several times in the back, and the other guy shot me in the front. Clearing a building by yourself just plain sucks.

Second scenario was with a partner, I found the "shooter", but shot the "hostage" and shooter from the hallway, instead of entering the room and identifying the shooter. Shooter had the hostage at gunpoint, and I blocked my partner from entering the room and helping.

Around 10 years of concealed carry training is not helping me with this. Different skill set for sure.

I seemed to get tunnel vision looking at just the gun mounted light, I just turned it on and left it on during the drill should consider only using it when needed.

It was a good day of training. Pretty sure I can get one or two of the SWAT guys to work with me on basics. I am glad they are doing more training. They are supposed to get me a light and mount for my AR-15, I am down with free (well, they own it, I use it) stuff on my guns. As always, tactics change from knowledge and experience.

It is very interesting when you are on the other side of stuff. Hunting people is a strange sport.
Sounds like a fun day. You will improve with continued training. Great skillset to have, but I hope you never need to use it.

dennishoddy

I was a "hostage" in a school shooting training session several years ago led by a buddy that is a trainer for a SWAT team.
School administration and some teachers were present to see how SWAT would handle the situation. It was pretty realistic with the "shooters" partners forcing us to our knees, lots of swearing and realistic acting.
There was some negotiation, and finally a forced entry by the team. Lots of simunition gunfire with the team overwhelming the hostage takers.
Then I pulled my CC and "shot" a couple of the SWAT team members while they were milling around congratulating themselves.
I was the hidden shill in the training session. Part of the hostage taking team unknown to anybody but the training officer.
The lead trainer then launched into tirade of cursing on his team members to consider everyone in the room a threat until everyone had been cleared.
That was really an interesting afternoon and I certainly learned a lot.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It was pretty realistic with the "shooters" partners forcing us to our knees, lots of swearing and realistic acting.
Realistic is WAR :oops: not training that's the easy part.
And now were going to castrate the only force that get's the job done.

@Fred_G you did fine, don't sweat the little things. Keep training until you get very good, not perfect.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
@Mike A1 I don't feel bad about it, training is when you should f up. Almost all my experience is defensive stuff, so all this is new to me. I am glad they are ramping up the training.

Once the range is remodeled, I think we will do some live fire stuff.

I am surprised none of the neighbors called in about all the lights and guns at the church, but this is the south.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I was a "hostage" in a school shooting training session several years ago led by a buddy that is a trainer for a SWAT team.
School administration and some teachers were present to see how SWAT would handle the situation. It was pretty realistic with the "shooters" partners forcing us to our knees, lots of swearing and realistic acting.
There was some negotiation, and finally a forced entry by the team. Lots of simunition gunfire with the team overwhelming the hostage takers.
Then I pulled my CC and "shot" a couple of the SWAT team members while they were milling around congratulating themselves.
I was the hidden shill in the training session. Part of the hostage taking team unknown to anybody but the training officer.
The lead trainer then launched into tirade of cursing on his team members to consider everyone in the room a threat until everyone had been cleared.
That was really an interesting afternoon and I certainly learned a lot.
Not being swat or an leo, I will take it as an opposite caution in that I could be shot while being a legal civilian with my concealed handgun. The trust no one may be a life saver for the police, but not always for the civilian. I do know that robberies and other similar events there is often a lookout man and so even a civilian must be cautious for such things.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Not being swat or an leo, I will take it as an opposite caution in that I could be shot while being a legal civilian with my concealed handgun. The trust no one may be a life saver for the police, but not always for the civilian. I do know that robberies and other similar events there is often a lookout man and so even a civilian must be cautious for such things.
Very good point, and one I had never thought of.

Latest posts