I feel a touch stupid this evening

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Well boys and girls got the 550 up and running last night and rolled a few 40's, now this is the first time in my almost 30 years of reloading I have EVER loaded for pistol so the boy has some nerve issues when I got to the range after work today! enough I took a pair of gloves, put on the good safety glasses kinda turned my head a bit pulled the trigger and boom, the round went off like everything should have along with about 20 more rounds so I'm stoked :)

3 rounds into my my 3rd magazine and the dangdest thing happened, I pulled the trigger and I heard a pop! not a bang but a pop, thought that was kinda odd so like any good curious person I took the pistol apart and ya know there was still a bullet in the barrel about .25 from the chamber grrrr well now I'm feeling like a dumbass cause well as safe a reloader as I am and I pay attention I SCREWED UP! but it turned out to be a good trip to the range as someone this weekend left me a whole bunch of 223 brass cases all over the ground and from the amount I picked up they must have gone thru a case, the rounds I worked up for the AR worked AWESOME!

I'm working on a better light so I can see in those 40 cases to be sure there is powder in there before I load up anymore for sure! anyone know if there is some sort of cool thinggy to put on a 550 like a powder cop or the like? or is there some sort of way that I can make SURE there is powder in the cases? Later,

Kirk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You can follow a recipe that fills the case more, which may mean using a different powder. I sort of inadvertently learned this trick, but if you have a tall case and 3.0 grains of powder, getting a clean visual every time is tough. If you have a 6.0gr load, you may very easily spot powder in every case. Something to think about.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Kirk, as far as a light for your 550 goes... Try finding a small flashlight that will fit between the dies on top of the tool head. Shine it down through the hole in the toolhead and seeing the powder in those cases will be easy. Someone here posted this awhile back so I can't credit for this simple yet great idea.

I also run a 550 and use WST powder which is light grey in color (making it easy to spot in the cases) and works really well.

dennishoddy

I'm a Hornady LNL guy, that has one more hole for a powder cop if I'm not wrong.
Lots of things going on at the same time with a progressive, so my advice is to do the above and slow down.
Quality is better than quantity.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I've got a clamp on desk lamp that's latched onto my bullet tray. I also load standing up, which makes it super easy to see every charge on pistol loads.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch, I'm loading power pistol and 6.5gr and is pretty easy to see but I guess between trying to make sure I did everything right with the new press either way I still feel a bit stupid. I was loading one round at a time just to be sure I didn't have too much going on but it was late also so that could have had something to do with it but I know I'm going to be working on some sort of better lighting!

Rusty interesting idea! I recall a thread somewhere about 550 mods but my short searches didn't come up with anything. Since I have got this set up and started using it I have found a couple of additions that will be added to the bench for sure.

Dennis, I was really leaning toward the Hornady press but this Dillon came up and well I couldn't help myself. So far it seems to be a well built press and it's pretty simple to get set up and I think I'm really going to like it after I add some more things to my bench to make life easier on me. Later,

Kirk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Kirk, believe it or not I've found it easier to mess up when I have an empty station. When all stations are full it's harder to skip a step. If the case under the seating die doesn't have a bullet, you don't advance, you add a bullet thus adding powder to the case under the charging die etc. I'm not sure if this makes sense the way I'm writing it, but I've never had an issue when I use the press as intended with a full plate. When I'm setting up with one case checking the dies, charge, etc. It's easy to get distracted & forget where you're at in the process (did I pull the handle for this station?).

I'm not saying don't check to see if you've got powder. I'm just saying that with the plate full it's easier to see if you missed a station by looking at the rest.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
I did the very same thing when I first got my 550. The good news is that is scares the crap out of you and you'll never let it happen again. Get a good penlight up top like Rusty suggested and always check for powder before you set the bullet.

It's also a good idea to keep an eye on the primer cup to make sure it picked up a new one. Occasionally it will hang up and you'll end up loading a round without a primer if you're not watching.

Latest posts