Hunting/fishing contest pic/comment thread

dennishoddy

Those of you that are in the contest for two freedom ammunition $50 gift certificates, post your hunting/fishing pictures and stories in this thread for discussion. The official thread is just for pics and stories.
Be sure to post the pics and a story about your hunt/fishing trip in the contest thread in this thread as well to be eligible for the drawing on January 15 so members can read and enjoy.

NO additional comments in the contest thread please. Put comments in this thread.

dennishoddy

Took a buck tonight with the bow. He came in with 1 minute of shooting light left, so after consulting the time, he turned and presented a shot.
Ran about 10 yds, stood there looking around and fell over. Never knew what happened. Left side was broken off. I'll shed hunt the place in the spring to see if I can find the broken antler.
f9fa04e9b7f93f39a18de419db207e70.jpg

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
This morning I saw 3 bucks and a doe, or maybe it was 4 bucks... all at once. I didn't shoot because the sun was directly in my eyes washing out my scope. One of the bucks was the really big one I saw on the game cam.

This evening, a buck came back through. I shot and he took off running about 40 yards then stopped. I shot again when he stopped and he went down. Turns out I had a double-lung first shot at about 130 yards that nicked the top of the heart and the final shot hit the spine at about 170 yards and stopped him. I'm glad I didn't have to drag him out of the woods.

pyk6fCt.jpg

Is it alive and you are still choking it to death in the photo? If so, you are sick. Well done!

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I have kind of started a tradition of taking my son bow hunting for deer on, or close to his birthday for a few years now. Sunday November 6th was his 7th birthday. We went down to go hunting. I hung another stand by mine for him to sit in. We were on the edge of a field in a tree row. A doe and fawns came out. The fawns came out first, and then the momma. It was kind of a rushed shot trying to make sure Grant, my son could see. I ended up hitting her in the spine. Making a "crack!" Grant says, "wow dad, that was awesome! I've never seen a deer drop like that with a bow before!" (Him not knowing it was a bad shot.) She struggled a little bit before she turned to get a good angle to where I could get another arrow in her to finish her off. The whole time her fawns stayed about 100yds off watching. Grant said that her "friends" didn't want to leave her. It was kind of a bad deal, and I was worried it would bother Grant, but he was perfectly fine with it.

Then when we start to gut her he sees her udders and says, "that's where her babies would drink milk if she had babies, right Dad?" "Yep, you're right," I said. As I cut through the skin some milk comes out, and Grant asks if mommy deer can have milk if they don't have babies. I said" nope, they have to have babies to have milk." Grant says, "oh." Pauses for a minute, then says "oooooooohhhhhhhh, I bet those were her babies!" I said, "yeah, it's kind of sad, but that's the way it works if people need to eat meat, and the babies are plenty big enough to live on their own now." He was again ok with it. Then his wheels are reall turning in his head and I can see he's thinking. He asks, "how do deer have babies Dad?" I was caught off guard and asked what he meant. He says "people go to the doctor and the doctor cuts the baby out of mommy's tummy, but deer can't go to the doctor. How do deer have babies?" I am then sitting there thinking, oh ****, what do I say? Then it pops into my head. My Dad ranches, and raises cattle. I asked Grant if he had ever been with Grandpa and seen a baby calf born? He thinks and then says, "oh yeah! They poop them out their butts!" "Yep" I said!

All in all, it ended up a fun, learning, hunt. He was really interested in cutting the deer open to see what was inside, and wasn't grossed out. He wanted to touch the heart, and I made him actuall hold it. He thought it was cool, and was surprised at how heavy it was. It's amazing how understanding and intrigued kids can be if us adults don't put ideas into their head to freak them out!

Attached Thumbnails

dennishoddy

Great story and congrats on the doe!
I've been blessed with guiding several kids on youth hunts. It's a great opportunity to give them an anatomy lesson.
Never had an issue with them getting upset while watching. They are very curious like your son.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Feegee Matlock said:
Got it this morning at 8:00 am. Shot him with my AR with 62gr Sierra ballistic tip handloads. Rattled him in.

8ca2dc85ad5e0f81e436403df5350cc7.png

348a4f1640041e20f4534e34042827fa.jpg
Nice one Feeg. What did he weigh? He looks like a hoss?

posted via Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Feegee Matlock said:
Got it this morning at 8:00 am. Shot him with my AR with 62gr Sierra ballistic tip handloads. Rattled him in.
Awesome buck Feegee! Congrats on taking him.

Be sure to post pics in the contest thread to be eligible for the awesome prizes.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Burk Cornelius said:
Nice one Feeg. What did he weigh? He looks like a hoss?

posted via Tapatalk
Man I don't know with the online check in you don't weigh them anymore. I need to get a scale and put it up in my skinning tree.
dennishoddy said:
Awesome buck Feegee! Congrats on taking him.

Be sure to post pics in the contest thread to be eligible for the awesome prizes.
I don't do contest any more. I never win anything.

dennishoddy

Feegee Matlock said:
Man I don't know with the online check in you don't weigh them anymore. I need to get a scale and put it up in my skinning tree.
I don't do contest any more. I never win anything.
LOL,
I hunt a DMAP so we still have to weigh them, pull a jaw and enter the information in the old style book.

dennishoddy

Took a buck tonight with a jacked up rack. Called him bullwinkle because of the palmation and short tines.
Decided to take him out of the gene pool as a management buck on the DMAP. Been waiting on a big perfect 10 point that I see on the neighbors place daily, but he is busy chasing does and never seems to cross the fence on me during shooting hours.
Decided tonight was the night as bullwinkle started chasing another hot doe in the wheat field.
High shoulder shot to anchor him, then debated shooting the doe as she walked to him wondering why he was taking a dirt nap. If it had been morning I would have, but two in the evening is too much work.
74 yds, .243 WSSM, 100 grain Speer BTSP.

cac10ace5173adefbee21ca53826dace.jpg

ee79617baec624ceea0aa1ae0b853c12.jpg

It appears he has already sired a son as the pic shows the same jacked up side.
256d1619cf647f00ce8dddcef465905e.jpg

Doe coming in to dead buck.

908ca7b4fc3a8fccf488780ca7aaedf5.jpg

Latest posts