How well did you test your Gun lube?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
First off let me say, anyone with leftover Frog Lube & no longer wants it please send me a PM & I will give you an address to send it 2. ;)
A good friend sent me this fantastic never before done test on Gun Lubes & firearms protectors. He also said " You were right about FL" :)
Take your time & study this test, I have never before seen such a comprehensive test for Gun lubes & protectors.

Some may recall over at Addicts a thread about Gun lubes that suck, well yours truly tried to get the world to see FROG LUBE as the best
gun lube & protector yet made. SEALS use Frog Lube & understand how to use Frog Lube. Heat or immerse the firearm in hot liquid FL
& wipe or drip dri the firearm dry. We need a slick looking surface this is an old recipe using Coconut oil same stuff the Miracle Rags use
to take that Carbon from the face of our Revolvers we all hate. Strong stuff Coconut oil. Just get your metal hot not burning & not cold
in between then apply small amounts to get a slick surface, any more & your throwing your $ away.

Oh BTW dipping into hot FL will cost you $$ unless your a SEAL that is LOL.

Check them out I'm glad I did so many years ago. https://www.froglube.com/

Last edited:

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
The stuff is pretty remarkable. I was originally looking for the best rust preventer. I have used RIG for years. But this test shows FL to far exceed just about anything out there.

The lubricity qualities in the study could be challenged a little because they really don't replicate a repeated cycling of an action. I believe Hornady One Shot had very good lubricity, but I'm not sure if the dry lube would stick around for extended range sessions. I know that when applied correctly, FL will run very slick for a very long time.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The stuff is pretty remarkable. I was originally looking for the best rust preventer. I have used RIG for years. But this test shows FL to far exceed just about anything out there.

The lubricity qualities in the study could be challenged a little because they really don't replicate a repeated cycling of an action. I believe Hornady One Shot had very good lubricity, but I'm not sure if the dry lube would stick around for extended range sessions. I know that when applied correctly, FL will run very slick for a very long time.

You know it @Rooster the Frog lube works much like PTFE Teflon by itself is not a lubricant however it PTFE fills in the rough surface imperfections
that cause friction & wear. FL like PTFE has a filling effect & has lubricity much like oil Coconut oil that has been used for Century as a natural lubricant.

I shot an AK back in 05 testing it for a friend headed for sandland, it was only Frog lubed.
After the upper handguard caught fire, then was extinguished 5 more 30 rd mags
were fired before the AK was tossed into some water. Tough gun ;) tough Lube this FL.

I have never had a Frog Lubed firearm fail due to a lube issue nor rust after long term storage.
Rig is great for metal just do not get it on rubber or plastics.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the info...use both rig grease & frog lube...still have a can of rig grease from 1972. Another trick for black powder guns is a heat source & bees wax. Heat the metal & rub on the bees wax. It's molecular structure is much smaller than paraffin so it fills in the surfaces of the metal much better. The stuff lasts. Also use bees wax on my hunting knives.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Thanks for the info...use both rig grease & frog lube...still have a can of rig grease from 1972. Another trick for black powder guns is a heat source & bees wax. Heat the metal & rub on the bees wax. It's molecular structure is much smaller than paraffin so it fills in the surfaces of the metal much better. The stuff lasts. Also use bees wax on my hunting knives.
I have heard of the bees wax before, but never tried it. I think I will.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

I've used Snow Seal with beeswax for my Leather hunting boots. Also Bear grease it never molds like mink does with storage.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I've used Snow Seal with beeswax for my Leather hunting boots. Also Bear grease it never molds like mink does with storage.
Never had much luck with snow seal...had much better luck with mink oil...heard of bear grease but were can you find it...OK may have walked in to this one...go skin a bear??? Did a lot of cross country skiing & camping while on those skis. Also tried everything on those worthless black GI boots with the rubber soles...

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I started using bear grease many years ago on my High power Rifle Turner leather slings & noticed how unlike many other conditioners
Bear grease did not mold when put away for a time.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

You mention Wax for your knives, I found a wax that is super for protecting & releasing rifles from bedding.
Harley Wax, https://www.harlywaxusa.com/ Rock hard last a loooong time.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I started using bear grease many years ago on my High power Rifle Turner leather slings & noticed how unlike many other conditioners
Bear grease did not mold when put away for a time.

Thanks just ordered some...

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I recall where Mountain men would treat their leathers with Bear grease & the clothing would not mold.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
@Mike A1 Thank you for the recommendation of Froglube. I will order me some, and when I do my next cleaning will oil them up with FL. I don't get to shoot as often as I did, but love knowing things are set when I'm ready to go.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
@Mike A1 Thank you for the recommendation of Froglube. I will order me some, and when I do my next cleaning will oil them up with FL. I don't get to shoot as often as I did, but love knowing things are set when I'm ready to go.

Your welcome @Blackbeard I have used FL for years now with great luck so far, the green goop is what I know from an old WWII gun emplacement on Guam.
Who ever found it & canned it was on to something really great, Zoid over @ Addicts used to sell a Miracle polishing rag with coconut power.

It's real claim to fame is it's protective powers & then it's abilities to plate metal surfaces & prevent much of the friction heat firing causes in a gun.
A totally natural substance with many special powers that make it good for rubber, vinyl, leather, wooden grips, parts of a gun that could be hurt by some
cleaners/lubes.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Tested close to 30 months in Viet Nam LSA and Luberplate lithium grease oddly it still works just fine. All I use.

Latest posts