Hi-end 1911s NOW

Skeptical about ordering a High End 1911 at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Hard for me to imagine the younger generation not wanting to apprentice at one of the shops mentioned. Seems not a lot of interest in learning to work with ones hands any longer.

But, I'm not in the season of life to be adding more firearms. Not that I wouldn't if a great opportunity presented , I am a fanatic after all.

I would order from an established business with little to no hesitation.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The high end shops like Wilson, NH, GC, and Alchemy do a great job of standing behind their work. I want their Craftsmen to pass on their skills. If I was young again, I would love to win an apprenticeship at a shop like the ones named.

Now, with that said, I believe it will prove difficult to find competent and disciplined young people that want to learn. But, they are out there.

PanHandlerFL

Well-Known Fanatic
It would take a very special and dedicated young person to become a Master Gunsmith, they are out there we just haven't met him/her yet... I agree with CE.

"A gunsmith has to be a metallurgist, a welder, a machinist, a mechanic, and a cabinet maker," says Gregor. "That differentiates a gunsmith from an armorer."

Dave Gregor
Former Seal Team 6 Gunsmith, Now A Manufacturer of High-End Custom 1911 Pistols

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
With a lot of the High-end 1911 manufactures(Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson, etc.) posting Help wanted ad's now. Are you a little skeptical about ordering a $3000 plus gun from them? I am.
To me it kind of depends on how much help they are hiring out. I probably have no way of knowing that, so yes, I'd be hesitant until I saw reviews of the work. That said, it's always a little hard to trust the reviews. Everyone who buys a high end gun wants to believe they bought the best and they will want to see it as such. Second,if the gun isn't what you hoped, giving a poor review of the firearm pretty much kills your chances of selling it.

It's another good reason for me to stick with Volkmannfor a full build, or to have Steve Owens work over a Dan Wesson.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Some day, I'm gonna thin the herd and order a WC 5" 9mm for IDPA, will it shoot any better than my Desert Eagle, doubt it but a bucket list 1911 and have no worries at all buying from Wilson

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
If they have help wanted signs , maybe they're growing . An acquaintance recently applied at Ed Brown . He eventually turned the job down due to the long drive . However I believe the popularity of the 1911 is waning . Young people are in to plastic . That being said , I'm not the least bit skeptical of ordering a new 1911 from a high end builder .

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
If they have help wanted signs , maybe they're growing . An acquaintance recently applied at Ed Brown . He eventually turned the job down due to the long drive . However I believe the popularity of the 1911 is waning . Young people are in to plastic . That being said , I'm not the least bit skeptical of ordering a new 1911 from a high end builder .
Yeah but they'll grow up and want a REAL firearm eventually;-)

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Life is too short.

If a semi-custom pistola is something you will enjoy owning…..then go for it.

I am glad I finally reached the point where I stopped holding back. Now I will try to wear them out in whatever time is left….a year, five, ten, twenty…..

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
To me it kind of depends on how much help they are hiring out. I probably have no way of knowing that, so yes, I'd be hesitant until I saw reviews of the work. That said, it's always a little hard to trust the reviews. Everyone who buys a high end gun wants to believe they bought the best and they will want to see it as such. Second, if the gun isn't what you hoped, giving a poor review of the firearm pretty much kills your chances of selling it.

It's another good reason for me to stick with Volkmannfor a full build, or to have Steve Owens work over a Dan Wesson.
I own several 1911's of different manufacturers; Springfield, Kimber, Ruger, all great guns and all accurate but for absolute quality--(NH). They are all great guns; but NH has it all.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
I have no issues w/ ordering 1911s from these vendors. Maybe the staffing issue is what's making us wait so long for a gun. Cabot is now 18 months build time, Nighthawk is 12-18 months. I've spent a lot of time w/ these vendors and I don't believe they're willing to risk their reputation. Here's my target from yesterday using my new Cabot Gran Torino, and you can quickly see the poor performance and lack of accuracy from my new Cabot which I ordered last Oct and received just last week. Shoddy work indeed (5 rounds at 21 feet), see for yourself...

Cabot GT Target.jpg

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
My bucket list a Wilson, doable when I'm ready to thin the collection, Cabot made one called the Draco if I remember right, don't remember exact price, 7000-8000ish, to pricey for bucket list, more in the rich uncle you didn't know you had dying and leaving you millions, this 1911 absolutely gorgeous, I think it's discontinued but I like the Cabot story, how they came to be and they really make some fine 1911's, I certainly hope Wilson, NH all of the fine 1911 manufacturers find the young willing folks to be taught to keep things going and I'm sure they will

yeah definitely gonna have to send the Cabot back for some accuracy tuning

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
Cabot Drako Garro 2.0.png

The Drako Garro II has been discontinued. I tried to order one a few months ago, but the day I tried to order one was the exact day it was discontinued. IMHO it was a damn fine lookin piece of hardware. Oh well, bummer...

Latest posts