Hi cap micro 9’s

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
After a bunch of you tube vids, and rag articles, I went seeking the real thing. The marketing dream, the MICRO 9
I'll try to be brief.

let's start with the prettiest girl to the ball first. Sig P365. Solid, good rep, balanced. The initial issues and 3 striker iterations are burned in my brain. Almost too small in grip. I'd need to shoot it. That goes for everything.

Springfield HellCat. Feels okay. Good grip. I'm still a bit butt hurt with them politically if I didn't have other choices, I'd look harder at it. Basically I held it to say I did.

S&W Shield Plus. A little bigger than the rest, but nice. That size, they say, makes it a bit more "shootable" S&W rep, M&P rep. Nice mag options. Great finish. I'm intrigued.

Ruger Max 9
Ahem…..I'm a Ruger guy. Immediately this felt top heavy. The LC9 trigger was very curved and had to index far forward to reach. Optic ready, good job, but probly not ready for that yet. Finish… blah. My LC380 has same finish and as much as I like the gun, only one I've had a rust spot on. I have a Gen2 1993 Glock with cop holster wear to bare metal with no rust. In the store, I couldn't pick up the front sight. That's a selling point, that front sigjt. I think in day light or almost dark to dark I'd been okay. I am damned apologetic, but I just couldn't "feel" it.

Taurus GX4. Im sorry God and all the little pygmies. I liked its weight and balance. Grip texture, finish. Their web site has a lot of options. Front sight, extended mags, holsters. Yeah, need a tool or cartridge rim for take down. That does make it slick on the sides omitting a lever or Glock grab type take down. (Beats Rugers pin) This and the shield, I really wanted to shoot.

Price: Dunham's was MSRP close to +
My go to LGS had everything in stock below MSRP. To kick in more data, The GX4 was $379.

It was an interesting trip. As a side note. All three places I visited had ammo. I bought a 40 round box of Tula 7.62x39 for $14 and some change. Pre pandemic was $9-$10 per 40. I like the way it shoots as well.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
After a bunch of you tube vids, and rag articles, I went seeking the real thing. The marketing dream, the MICRO 9
I'll try to be brief.

let's start with the prettiest girl to the ball first. Sig P365. Solid, good rep, balanced. The initial issues and 3 striker iterations are burned in my brain. Almost too small in grip. I'd need to shoot it. That goes for everything.

Springfield HellCat. Feels okay. Good grip. I'm still a bit butt hurt with them politically if I didn't have other choices, I'd look harder at it. Basically I held it to say I did.

S&W Shield Plus. A little bigger than the rest, but nice. That size, they say, makes it a bit more "shootable" S&W rep, M&P rep. Nice mag options. Great finish. I'm intrigued.

Ruger Max 9
Ahem…..I'm a Ruger guy. Immediately this felt top heavy. The LC9 trigger was very curved and had to index far forward to reach. Optic ready, good job, but probly not ready for that yet. Finish… blah. My LC380 has same finish and as much as I like the gun, only one I've had a rust spot on. I have a Gen2 1993 Glock with cop holster wear to bare metal with no rust. In the store, I couldn't pick up the front sight. That's a selling point, that front sigjt. I think in day light or almost dark to dark I'd been okay. I am damned apologetic, but I just couldn't "feel" it.

Taurus GX4. Im sorry God and all the little pygmies. I liked its weight and balance. Grip texture, finish. Their web site has a lot of options. Front sight, extended mags, holsters. Yeah, need a tool or cartridge rim for take down. That does make it slick on the sides omitting a lever or Glock grab type take down. (Beats Rugers pin) This and the shield, I really wanted to shoot.

Price: Dunham's was MSRP close to +
My go to LGS had everything in stock below MSRP. To kick in more data, The GX4 was $379.

It was an interesting trip. As a side note. All three places I visited had ammo. I bought a 40 round box of Tula 7.62x39 for $14 and some change. Pre pandemic was $9-$10 per 40. I like the way it shoots as well.
I'm not sure why Taurus firearms get a bad rap. I've owned a couple of them and they seem to be made pretty well. Every one I've seen fired without issue. For someone looking for a reliable home defense firearm that doesn't break the bank, Taurus is a good choice.

Fanatics like us though, generally recognize that a Taurus firearm just isn't going to float our boat. We want high end EDM'd parts and fine finishes. Why? Because John Moses Browning meant for it to be that way!

Disclaimer: There's nothing wrong with owning a Taurus firearm as long as you own at least one fine 1911. :cool:

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I have and carry a Sig P365XL with 2 extra mags often. Often enough that I have Paul at Warbird making me leather holster and mag carrier as we speak!
My go to gun store has an XL with safety and another with Romeo Zero sight on it, mine will accept one. So I might just pick up a second or knowing me? Even a third:)

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't shoot the micros well enough, thats on me. I do like the Shield for size and manufacturer. I admit I'm sort of blah to the fat little micros. For me , they are pocket guns and the double stack versions create too much of a bulge. So if I need to carry that deep, I still use my S&W 442. With a couple speed strips. Outside of that its a Colt LW Cmdr in super38. Or, blasphemy I know, a glock48, cause my jacked up back often requires the least amount of weight possible. Its very concealable and light, especially for a shootable sized 9mm.

Good luck Jerry, in your search. With availability on the rise and prices falling, You will be able to find what you seek

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I don't shoot the micros well enough, thats on me. I do like the Shield for size and manufacturer. I admit I'm sort of blah to the fat little micros. For me , they are pocket guns and the double stack versions create too much of a bulge. So if I need to carry that deep, I still use my S&W 442. With a couple speed strips. Outside of that its a Colt LW Cmdr in super38. Or, blasphemy I know, a glock48, cause my jacked up back often requires the least amount of weight possible. Its very concealable and light, especially for a shootable sized 9mm.

Good luck Jerry, in your search. With availability on the rise and prices falling, You will be able to find what you seek
I don't shoot the micros well either. My hands are too big. A mid sized Glock 17 is as small of a handgun as I carry. It works out well in an IWB Kydex or preferably leather holster. For extremely deep carry, when a holster is not feasible, a Derringer loaded with two 45ACP rounds in my front pocket.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If I was to get another micro 9, it would be the Sig 360XL. Much easier for me to shoot than the P365 (which was not too bad). Plus the XL holds a couple more rounds. I don't like the magazine being part of the grip, makes for difficult mag changes for me.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I typically carry .45acp guns. Most often a Baer UTC or Valor commander. Most of the time in IWB leather from Milt Sparks....with occasional OWB in Tucker HF-1 holsters.

9mm carry for me has either been high-capacity or the smaller pocket stuff.

I've had some varying results with the pocket pistolas.

Smallest being a Seecamp .32acp which was a gift years ago. Along with the gun I was given a few of boxes of 60gr Win Silvertip ammo.....the prescribed ammo. Gun ran fine with it...but I never even ran through all the original ammo. Knew the gun wasn't for me...but has much sentimental value thus it lives in the safe.

My gold standard of pocket carry guns has always been the S&W Airweight 442 (no infernal internal lock, thank you). It's 100% reliable and rides just fine in a DeSantis Nemesis (worn two out already).

Wanted to upgrade the sights, trigger and speed of reload over the 442.....this led to trying a little Kahr, G43 and P938.

Each had it's merits...however, something just didn't work for me.

I finally listened to a buddy who'd been after me to try the P365. The initial issues with firing pin drag were concerning....I gave it some time.

I added the P365 a few months ago......and something just sorta fell into place.

I wear size 10-11 gloves (xl). The little gun didn't feel cramped in my hands.

Handles well. Striker trigger isn't bad at all (have a flattie that I'll install at some point), 12rd mags allow a "full" hand grip. 5yd head shots aren't difficult make....even at a good pace.

I tried the 15rd mags in it, too. Even more control is gained. Eliminates it from pocket carry use, though.

Truth be told, I'm trying to get stuff out of my pockets and onto belt. I dress casually most of the time...untucked t-shirt or golf shirt. IWB works great for me. Especially the SS2 (in multiple gun types....P365, G19, commander & government). If I'm not causally dressed then the same IWB gear works fine under a sport jacket or suit coat.

I sorta felt guilty over adding a SS2 for the little gun......but wanted to carry with 15rd mags in it as well as backups.

It completely disappears from thought when riding in the SS2......something that I can't say about the G19. The G19 is not as comfortable IWB as a 5" 1911 for me. The blocky girth of the slide simply is what it is.

Only had the 12rd in P365 at the time I snapped these pics.

The G19 has pretty much been squeezed out of carry expect for some situations....crappy weather, fishing, boating, kayaking, etc.

When rolling with something comparably sized the EDC X9 has been very much appreciated. It runs wonderfully, carries well and I have zero complaints over this gun.

The EDC X9 & P365 have fairly well covered my 9mm carry needs and as a result I don't find myself carrying the PM-C 9mm or Valor Commander 9mm near as often as I'd planned on. I keep them, because they are fun to shoot and have run well....and may become base guns for future builds.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
It does take a lot of practice with those micro 9,s , I have went through about 10 different models before settling on a 938 sas .

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Most of the time it's a .45 commander or .45 government ....most of the time.

Today isn't such a day.

Knocked out a fast breakfast and then knocked out some errands.

Carry gun today is the P365.

That little gun performs above it's weight class for sure. Carries insanely easy. 12+1 onboard with a 15rd backup.

It's odd....came around to finally giving one a try well after running the gamut of pocket rockets. Kahr, G43, G938, etc. This one simply fits my paw better and the trigger isn't awful bad for a striker gun.

Latest posts