Help?

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
I suppose that I have to admit that I am female or all of you guys are going to think that I am a really wimpy guy -- not like the username didn't give it away, or anything like that!

I want to buy a P30, this much I am sure of...I have been up to H&H and tested one twice up against the M&P, and the Glock 19. I have very small hands and the H&K with a little modification will fit my hand perfect.

To give you an idea I have a hard time shooting the first round on my Sig Mosquito. I am practicing and getting better, but I have to work on my hand strength -- and my wrist strength.

Here is the problem -- There are so many variants and I am trying to understand all of the lingo, but I am drowning attempting to understand it all.

1. I want to learn to shoot competition (I don't know the different types yet, but I like to try to shoot for accuracy, and speed).

2. I have very small hands, hence the p30

3. I have a very hard time with the first round (I keep reading about the LEM trigger) -- although, I wish it was more like the Glock (same every time).

4. Apparently there are different models made more for competition.

Can someone please help me wade through all of this so I know which one to order next week?

THANKS!

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
Im sure there will be others along to answer your questions but before you order anything from H&H check out Sooner State Pawn. They are a sponsor for this site. Tommy can find you anything you want and will save you money compared to H&H

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The P30 may not be good for fast mag changes, without tons of practice, because of the lever-on-the-trigger-guard format. The grip on the P30 is far superior to most guns, all that I've ever used actually, but the M&P is not far off in size and shape. The P30 will flip higher during firing due to the lower position your hand will be in related to the barrel versus some other guns (Glock, M&P, 1911s, CZ, etc.). If you do get the P30, get the LEM trigger.

You want a consistent trigger. You really want a consistent everything, so you know that any problems you have are yours, and not your gun. There is much to learn, mostly small critical details. Your gun needs to be reliable and durable. Don't buy a Taurus.

You should see if you can rent a STI GP6 at H&H. They have a fantastic grip, and your hand will sit higher on the gun. There is a downside in that it has a DA/SA trigger, but even at that, the trigger is on them is good.

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
I have done my best to compare apples to apples, but all things being "mostly" equal I favor the P30. I can change out the sides as well -- did I mention that I have small hands. :eek:) I can actually wear children's gloves.

I will see if I can find a ladies' model (provided it is not pink) to test and the STI. I go up to H&H to test the guns, but I intend to order for Sgt. Everett's in Norman. I like to support local when I can.

Thank you for the advice.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
hmmmm... well when you say competition, what do you mean exactly?? will it be a competition gun only, are you familiar with USPSA rules, the only reason i ask is because i bought a gun (sig) and once i got into competition i ended up selling it and getting guns that were better suited (XDM, M and P), i would gather some more info before you buy, also have you tried the smaller backstraps on guns?? your hands may still be too small just wanted to check? also a great match to get a feel for competition (more beginner friendly) would be the heartland match on the 1st and 3rd sunday of every month, even if you don't have a gun people will let you borrow ( you could borrow my xdm if you like, just so you can shoot the match).... good luck...

Chambers

actual GM
The M&P has interchangeable backstraps, and one of them is small. I suggest giving that a try as it's a better platform than the HK all around, especially for competition. Your welcome to try mine out at one of the local matches (OKC Gun Club/H&H). We do have a few female shooters in the state and they would be a good resource for you.

After that I say get yourself some quality training, like you can find at TDSA in Tulsa. It's kind of the offseason right now, but they have a class specifically for ladies. TDSA offers the best handgun training around.

Shooting is more technique than physical strength. That's not to say that wrist/hand strength isn't important, but it's probably less important than you think it is right now.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Also the Gen 4 Glocks have 3 sizes of backstraps and though it sounds you may want a double stack sometimes the hand tells you no. A S+W lady 39xx I believe is always a good place to start with small hands. Also try the CZ75 and Hi-power for yor doublestack needs. My boys been shooting my Glocks since they were very young. Sometimes it is just getting used to the pistol and learning you dont have to have a monster grip. As long as you have adequte finger for the trigger you can overcome the rest.
Best of luck.

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
hmmmm... well when you say competition, what do you mean exactly?? will it be a competition gun only, are you familiar with USPSA rules, the only reason i ask is because i bought a gun (sig) and once i got into competition i ended up selling it and getting guns that were better suited (XDM, M and P), i would gather some more info before you buy, also have you tried the smaller backstraps on guns?? your hands may still be too small just wanted to check? also a great match to get a feel for competition (more beginner friendly) would be the heartland match on the 1st and 3rd sunday of every month, even if you don't have a gun people will let you borrow ( you could borrow my xdm if you like, just so you can shoot the match).... good luck...

I am still learning the different types. I got into shooting because I intend to be able to pass CLEET with my eyes closed, then I got hooked! I intend to be at the Heartland match on Sunday, but I don't have the equipment needed, so I am going to just come and watch this time.

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
The M&P has interchangeable backstraps, and one of them is small. I suggest giving that a try as it's a better platform than the HK all around, especially for competition. Your welcome to try mine out at one of the local matches (OKC Gun Club/H&H). We do have a few female shooters in the state and they would be a good resource for you.

After that I say get yourself some quality training, like you can find at TDSA in Tulsa. It's kind of the offseason right now, but they have a class specifically for ladies. TDSA offers the best handgun training around.

Shooting is more technique than physical strength. That's not to say that wrist/hand strength isn't important, but it's probably less important than you think it is right now.

I have an instructor that I believe will get me a good ways before I need to switch, and I am checking into a second source that is close to home when my other instructor cuts me loose.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
If you shoot at Sgt Everett's, Shannon or I could meet you up there sometime and let you try her M&P with a small back strap. Hers also has a trigger job from AI that is really nice.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I hear a lot about the "feel" stuff when it relates to handgun grips. I understand there are limits... I cannot reach the trigger on a one or two particular guns... and a lot of micro pocket guns are just to tiny to grasp.

The bulk of current striker- fired guns are meant to be fired both thumbs forward...with the web of the shooting hand as high on the frame as it will fit. Gripping any gun correctly feels "funny" until you learn to do it right. If your evaluation consists of grabbing a pistol like it's a mop handle and declaring this one fits or doesnt fit your probably missing something.

Guns are made to fit the average person. Older guns are made to fit the average (smaller person ) 100 years ago.

Grip angle?... the modern semi auto has a terrible grip angle...if you are classically trained in the formal bullseye style of one -handed shooting. The Luger is oft declared the ultimate grip angle... but it kinda sucks from the modern two handed grip. Glocks are derided as having an awful grip angle..and they dont make a very good one handed gun... The 1911? Just the luck of JMB to get the thing just right... one handed ergonomics of the day... adaptable to two handed shooting as encouraged by Weaver and Cooper and the other modern shooters of our day.

What we "like" will usually determine what we buy. You can lay 10 guns on a table and a good trained shooter will cut 'X" s all day. He will be drawn to some....dislike others... but the fact is they are all workable. Peel back the onion... it's a Ford and Chevy thing after all..

I strongly suggest the XDM in 9mm... I have taught literally hundreds of students. It fits small hands the best and has proven itself in competition. Also Accurate Iron can give you a very light and consistent trigger pull. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
I am still learning the different types. I got into shooting because I intend to be able to pass CLEET with my eyes closed, then I got hooked! I intend to be at the Heartland match on Sunday, but I don't have the equipment needed, so I am going to just come and watch this time.

even if you don't have equipment you can shoot.... i can bring my xdm and you can borrow it, just be sure you are wearing a belt.... i can shoot my other gun, so no big deal... just bring a belt and 20 dollars for the match fee and you will be good to go... see ya then... i am the guy that will be registering everyone

wow lance we were on the exact same page at the same time!!

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent

I also have an XDm in 9mm with the smallest backstrap already installed on it that you can use as well, with a triple crown holster, mags, and the XDm mag pouch.

Benjamin, which backstrap is on yours?

Like Bejamin said wear a good belt and then come ready to have fun.

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
If you shoot at Sgt Everett's, Shannon or I could meet you up there sometime and let you try her M&P with a small back strap. Hers also has a trigger job from AI that is really nice.

Yes, I would like to meet you guys and try her gun. It doesn't have to be down here in Norman though, I can drive up to the City.

Latest posts