Hello from Colorado

Rye_a

New Fanatic
Hello, I'm excited to be part of this community. I've owned 1911s for the past 25 years, sometimes succumbing to the siren song of plastic pistols, but always coming back to that hundred plus year old design that is the peak of quality and engineering.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hello, I'm excited to be part of this community. I've owned 1911s for the past 25 years, sometimes succumbing to the siren song of plastic pistols, but always coming back to that hundred plus year old design that is the peak of quality and engineering.
Welcome from eastern NC. There's no other weapon that can compare to the legendary 1911 design of John Moses Browning's genius.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome from Greenville SC, I personally enjoy Glocks and 1911's but 1911's the favorite for sure, when I take one apart to clean I still can't wrap my head around being a 110 year old design that's still thriving

this in my opinion best firearms forum period

Surveyor3975

Fanatic
Welcome from sunny South Florida!

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome aboard...also here visiting. Just left Scheels Sporting Goods in Colorado Springs... Great collection of guns & ammo.

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome and God Bless-
John Moses Browning

Last edited:

PantaRhei

Fanatic
Welcome, from Southern Colorado!

KINGMAN1911

New Fanatic
Ditto! The sheer beauty, function, accuracy and feel of a 1911 on your person or at the range cannot be matched.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

falrifles

Fanatic
Happy to be here.

I bought my first 1911 in 1976. It was a Colt Government model 5" full nickle finish. Bought new as an off duty gun at my first police job in Belton Mo., just outside of KCMO in Cass county. From Lee's Gun Shop. I'll never forget the negative reaction of my then lieutenant, when he saw it cocked and locked in my Don Hume scabbard holster. My duty handgun was a S&W model 15 Combat Masterpiece revolver. Our duty load was the Remington 125 grain JHP +P. With the large scallops in the copper jacket. Great round for a 38 special.

Being newly married and at my first job out of college, I could not afford ammo yet. Lee the owner of the shop, reached in to his office desk drawer and gave me eight rounds of handloaded 185 grain semi wadcutter's.

Armed with that pistol, I waited in the tall weeds near a pond near a homicide scene. Hopping any involved party, would return to look for any evidence he left behind. In the middle of the night, one did return and was taken into custody, looking down the barrel of that very visible Colt.

Later on my wife and I were on a walk outside of town, when a scruffy individual passed us in a 1965 red Ford Mustang and pulled over just past us. He opened his door and reached under his seat and told us to get in the car. He too got to see my new Colt. He spun out on the gravel trying to put distance between us. Last seen driving away at high speed.

There is a good reason that I'm telling you all this story. Later on, I finally had time to take it to the range. The gun fired the round in the chamber and choked on the top round out of the magazine. Evidently it was not happy about the handloaded 185 grain target loads. I'm glad I did not have to shoot in the aforementioned incidents.

This taught me early on, never to use an un-proven gun or ammunition. Good advice today as well.

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Happy to be here.

I bought my first 1911 in 1976. It was a Colt Government model 5" full nickle finish. Bought new as an off duty gun at my first police job in Belton Mo., just outside of KCMO in Cass county. From Lee's Pawn Shop. I'll never forget the negative reaction of my then lieutenant, when he saw it cocked and locked in my Don Hume scabbard holster. My duty handgun was a S&W model 15 Combat Masterpiece revolver. Our duty load was the Remington 125 grain JHP +P. With the large scallops in the copper jacket. Great round for a 38 special.

Being newly married and at my first job out of college, I could not afford ammo yet. Lee the owner of the pawn shop, reached in to his office desk drawer and gave me eight rounds of handloaded 185 grain semi wadcutter's.

Armed with that pistol, I waited in the tall weeds near a pond near a homicide scene. Hopping any involved party, would return to look for any evidence he left behind. In the middle of the night, one did return and was taken into custody, looking down the barrel of that very visible Colt.

Later on my wife and I were on a walk outside of town, when a scruffy individual passed us in a 1965 red Ford Mustang and pulled over just past us. He opened his door and reached under his seat and told us to get in the car. He too got to see my new Colt. He spun out on the gravel trying to put distance between us. Last seen driving away at high speed.

There is a good reason that I'm telling you all this story. Later on, I finally had time to take it to the range. The gun fired the round in the chamber and choked on the top round out of the magazine. Evidently it was not happy about the handloaded 185 grain target loads. I'm glad I did not have to shoot in the aforementioned incidents.

This taught me early on, never to use an un-proven gun or ammunition. Good advice today as well.
Great story and a valuable lesson for anyone. Thanks for sharing.