Have any used / for sale guns EVER had more than “200 down the tube”?

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I am a 40+ year aggresive collector, gun store haunter, rated on gunbroker and other auction, club and organization sites and I can not help but notice...........

Has anybody EVER seen a used gun for sale that had more that 200 rounds fired?

I am astounded at the number of ads that say "only 10 rounds fired"......."only 35 down the pipe" ........."less than 200 down the tube"............

Does anyone believe this crap? Does it matter?

That said, I almost never see a used gun that is even broken in so most people don't really shoot their guns (mostly because of lack of access to facilities or area is my guess) but a firearm is either NIB or USED. ( later model Colt 1911's are NIB or broken)

If you fired 1 round it might as well be a thousand.......it's a used gun.

Who believes ads for used glocks that have been stored in temp controlled darkness on a pillow of air, never touched without gloves, built by G-D himself and only test fired 20 rounds under sterile conditions then cleaned better than new?.........and don't question me on price...........

Just ask'n

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Now that is a good point.
I have been rather lucky, I haven't been burned on a used pistol. I have been on some cheaper parts and optics.

Personally, if I get that odd feeling, I generally pass I'd so cant inspect said item.

I would like to think most sellers are honest. I prefer to only deal with people I know or have at least heard of

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I think Firearms people as a group are the most upright people on the planet. I just notice over time the inceasing prevalence of these statements as if they have some meaning beyond a lack of savy.

My point is that I see these statements more and more as if they have some meaning.

And of course there are no warranties on used guns....as a practical matter there are only implied warranties on new guns but my experience is that most companies will repair defects in their guns whether you are the original or a subsequent owner.

In fact, I have had companies like Kel Tec, Henry, Ruger repair issues THAT I BROKE even when I was adament that it was my fault and I should pay the cost.

I am not complaining that there are xx rounds down the tube or that a gun is used, just saying it is meaningless info more likely to be false and not to be believed. Taints the seller (in my mind)

I was just wondering what other "real" gun buyers think

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
There's a reason I don't like to buy anything I can't hold in my hand and inspect . I don't care how many rounds have been through anything , as long as it was maintained . I shoot so often , with a variety of guns , that I don't waste my time counting bullets through a particular gun .

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with you Mike.

In fact, I have a 1911 that I shoot almost every day. Has to have over 15,000 rounds through it. To me, it looks like it only has some slight holster wear. If I came to purchase this pistol would I be able to tell it was well used? Don't know but I do know it looks well maintained.

At Wilson combat they have test pistols that anyone at the company can shoot any time. When I last heard, some of these guns had over 300,000 rounds fired by multiple shooters with no service issues.

Like I say, I rarely see a used gun that has been broken in and fully seated. The whole "only 20 rounds lovingly fired" statement does not attract my interest in the ad, it detracts from the sellers credibility and marks them as an amature.

Reactions: DRD

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
There are people who buy guns and don't shoot them , I'm just not one of them . I think people that put round count in their ad are being as accurate as they can . I've also known some blatant liars . I've only owned two safe queens . A Elmer Kieth commemorative model 29 and a 1977 BHP . I never shot the 29 , and sold it as I have three other model 29 variants . Still own the BHP , put 50 rounds thru it when I first bought it . Zero since . It's pristine and I have other 9mms that I shoot better . I'm actually thinking of putting it towards a Wilson in 9mm . Years ago I bought a S&W model 28 , pinned and recessed in the box from a doctor with a home office who had bought it for protection . Still had only 3 burn marks on cyl. from factory test fire . I shot the heck out of it . One I wish I had back . I don't mind if people say " well maintained " or rarely used . But , If I'm going to spend serious money I want to inspect myself . I know what to check and don't mind honest wear . hate signs of neglect or abuse .

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Thought I'd share this . A good friend and fellow fanatic and I were at a gun show a few years ago . Stumbled upon a S&W model 24 , 3 inch round butt . The seller , very well known to us , said it had been in inventory in the safe of a gun store that had gone out of business many years ago . It looked brand new , and the gun oil inside was petrified . My buddy pounced on it like a hungry dog . LOL A bunch of Kroil later and it's a real gem , a real grail gun . So yes , you can find unfired or low round count guns . I just want to inspect them myself before throwing down hard earned cash . Also , the time to buy is when you see it . If he'd have passed , I'd own it .

Cundiff5535

Fanatic
Seeing that most handguns I am into should be good to 30-90K down the pipe, I rarely pay any attention to "round count". I care much more about abuse, rust, and visual condition. I can typically tell how the guns been run/used based off pictures...

Everyone says 200... Most have no clue how many rounds are on their pistols or rifles. Ill also say that I rarely buy new guns. Really the only time I am buying new is if its a true one off custom. I also know that buying from a trusted classified section and solid seller is key.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Will share one with all I inquired about a rifle and was told this:
Shoot it before you pay for it if not you will not want it as to the amount of wear on it not abuse honest wear, he was very correct it is a Rem 788 7-08 re-barreled by Shilen to 24" and hunted with ALOT!
He refused payment until I shot it, also were 10 boxes of his reloads with all data, when I saw the Berger Bullets I wondered just maybe. 1st 5 shots were at 100 yds 1 & 2 about 1-1/2" from x center next 3 were a 3 leaf clover bug hole, he told me it did not do well clean next 5 an honest under .500 jagged hole, adjusted my scope and group was 1" high perfect jagged hole again, very little finish anywhere on gun left, I called him from the range and said check in the mail, still have it one of the best shooting firearms I own, rough on the eyes yes but shoots unreal, there would have been no way I would have bought it if I had not shot it 1st he was correct, I shot it with an extra scope I had a Leupold 36x BR now it has a vari x 3 2-8 duplex. All that have looked at it have been very surprised as I was. Also the action was pillar bedded with 5/8" metal pillars also free floated and sealed in glass. Got 5 mags with it also, he was just to old to use it he said also a log book from day 1 of its hunting trips and loading data, I have used it as it was intended to be in rain mud and horrible weather, not bad for an old rifle new costing under $100 before mods. The original receipt is from Gibson's Discount Center.

Hope all enjoyed my old rifle history.

dryhumor

New Fanatic
Most of my bolt guns have several hundred rounds through them, might have a couple that have 800 plus.

A friend of mine recently bought one from me that had a lot of wear, unknown rounds, unknown owners. He was in the market for an "accurate" rifle. He'd been missing deer with the rifle he'd been using. This rifle (Tikka M695) was a sub .5 inch .280 at 160 yards with reloads. He shot .5 at 100 with it with factory ammo.
His only comment when he got it set up....

"Man, I wish I'd bought it with that scope you had on it".

I tend to judge pistols as I find them. I've been told the one or two magazines story. Most times the wear backs it up. I've also been told 500-2000 rounds and think that's fine, it should be settled out.

What always worries me on revolvers is when I see that the plate screws have been removed....

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Most of my bolt guns have several hundred rounds through them, might have a couple that have 800 plus.

A friend of mine recently bought one from me that had a lot of wear, unknown rounds, unknown owners. He was in the market for an "accurate" rifle. He'd been missing deer with the rifle he'd been using. This rifle (Tikka M695) was a sub .5 inch .280 at 160 yards with reloads. He shot .5 at 100 with it with factory ammo.
His only comment when he got it set up....

"Man, I wish I'd bought it with that scope you had on it".

I tend to judge pistols as I find them. I've been told the one or two magazines story. Most times the wear backs it up. I've also been told 500-2000 rounds and think that's fine, it should be settled out.

What always worries me on revolvers is when I see that the plate screws have been removed....
Plate screws on a revolver are the first thing I look at , then check lockup . Ring around cyl. and overall appearance . Keep in mind , those screws are buyable and old revolvers usually need a good clean up inside .

Cundiff5535

Fanatic
Plate screws on a revolver are the first thing I look at , then check lockup . Ring around cyl. and overall appearance . Keep in mind , those screws are buyable and old revolvers usually need a good clean up inside .

spot on!

Fanatic
Personally I probably have at least 10 ( probably more) 1911s in the safe that I bought brand new and just haven't gotten around to shooting. With work and a heavy idpa schedule in the warmer months theirs just not enough time to shoot everything, so I can't disbelieve their are others like me who have bought stuff they haven't had time to shoot much, that being said there's always dishonest people out there that ruin it for everyone else.
I believe caveat emptor is a good rule to follow

m/v MOJO

Fanatic
Bought an STI 2011 9mm open gun advertised as having >10,000 rounds through it. I've put at least 10K through it & it functions flawlessly. On the other hand, I bought a Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 advertised as having only "a couple boxes" through it and was being sold because "it is too big and heavy for my daughter". I couldn't get 10 rounds through it w/out a failure to feed. I suspect it was sold to become someone else's problem when the owner got frustrated with it! I sent it back to DW & it turns out the chamber was too tight. They reamed it a hair (no charge & they paid shipping both ways) and it has been 100% ever since. It's incredibly accurate and the slide feels like it's on ball bearings. Trigger breaks at 2.1 lbs - my favorite 1911. So, seller advertised round count doesn't mean much to me. When you buy a used gun without first taking it to the range, caveat emptor. You pays your money and you takes your chances!

thewoods868

Fanatic
I am a 40+ year aggresive collector, gun store haunter, rated on gunbroker and other auction, club and organization sites and I can not help but notice...........

Has anybody EVER seen a used gun for sale that had more that 200 rounds fired?

I am astounded at the number of ads that say "only 10 rounds fired"......."only 35 down the pipe" ........."less than 200 down the tube"............

Does anyone believe this crap? Does it matter?

That said, I almost never see a used gun that is even broken in so most people don't really shoot their guns (mostly because of lack of access to facilities or area is my guess) but a firearm is either NIB or USED. ( later model Colt 1911's are NIB or broken)

If you fired 1 round it might as well be a thousand.......it's a used gun.

Who believes ads for used glocks that have been stored in temp controlled darkness on a pillow of air, never touched without gloves, built by G-D himself and only test fired 20 rounds under sterile conditions then cleaned better than new?.........and don't question me on price...........

Just ask'n
It's a used gun as soon as you walk out with it. Even if you don't fire it!

carnieken

Fanatic
I bought a used ATI 1911 Military in a private deal & he made no bones about it, he lost track of the rounds quite a while ago, but guesstimated in the 1000's, he also included around 500 rds of ammo, most of it handloads... The pistol was (is) tight with normal wear & tear, so yep I pounced on it for $400....

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I noticed the low round counts posted on nearly everything. The ones that I find suspicious are the ones being sold on behalf of a widow or an estate sale. They usually say linb condition and go onto say "looks like it's never been fired ? "

Latest posts