Handgun issues in New Zealand

Kiwi49

Fanatic
Hi all
Living in New Zealand, law abiding firearms owners are being selected, politically, for a Coalition Gov't's planned return to power in elections due 2021.
As such, AR, AK style firearms are now 'prohibited' firearms under legislation called an 'Order in Council', which bypasses Parliamentary oversight.
Those of you who have an interest in international news will already be aware of our situation, and how a tragedy in one of our major cities, March this year, has opened the door for anti-gun behaviour by vote seeking politicians.
Law is also being rushed through to make it more difficult to get a firearms license, as well as identifying Police 'wishlist' items, that DO NOT target the criminal fraternity, only the law abiding.
As handguns are a restricted item, licensing procedures are enforced heavy handedly.
I have fired a variety of handguns here, as well as in the US.
22, 9mm, 38 Super, 45 semi-autos plus revolvers in 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Mag and 500 S&W.
I like handguns but the hurdles are getting higher and taking too much time to get through the system.
So I read and enjoy the posts from handgun shooters in the US.
At 70 I'm enjoying firearms - mainly rifle, and shortly to reestablish a love affair with shotguns and claybirds.
That's my story folks

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

RickOShay

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all
Living in New Zealand, law abiding firearms owners are being selected, politically, for a Coalition Gov't's planned return to power in elections due 2021.
As such, AR, AK style firearms are now 'prohibited' firearms under legislation called an 'Order in Council', which bypasses Parliamentary oversight.
Those of you who have an interest in international news will already be aware of our situation, and how a tragedy in one of our major cities, March this year, has opened the door for anti-gun behaviour by vote seeking politicians.
Law is also being rushed through to make it more difficult to get a firearms license, as well as identifying Police 'wishlist' items, that DO NOT target the criminal fraternity, only the law abiding.
As handguns are a restricted item, licensing procedures are enforced heavy handedly.
I have fired a variety of handguns here, as well as in the US.
22, 9mm, 38 Super, 45 semi-autos plus revolvers in 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Mag and 500 S&W.
I like handguns but the hurdles are getting higher and taking too much time to get through the system.
So I read and enjoy the posts from handgun shooters in the US.
At 70 I'm enjoying firearms - mainly rifle, and shortly to reestablish a love affair with shotguns and claybirds.
That's my story folks

I'm so sorry for the troubles your country is going through. It's a lesson for us in the states, how easily a surge can produce negative results on private citizen rights. It would appear politicians easily forget the rights of those who put them in office, to seek out future votes supporting half baked, restrictive gun control laws. The 2nd amendment makes so much sense I'm confident it will come back if taken away, I just wonder how many generations it will take in this country before we can produce a generation like our our forefathers who had the vision to understand what makes a true government of the people for the people.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello !! from Pennsylvania USA.
I have read some things that have gone on in your Country. It is a shame that the citizens were lied to at the beginning. The Lawmakers there said that it was only going to restrict certain things and would not effect the GOOD CITIZEN of your Country.
That sounds so familiar lately. I hear it nightly on the news channels. The politicians here are trying to do the same thing, start with a limited number and then once that is done they will move on to more and more restrictions.
You are correct in saying that they never take steps to infringe on the criminals rights it is always the Good People that suffer. I am sorry that you are faced with further restrictions. I hope that someday you and those like you find a way to turn back the hands of time. I know it is an impossibility but one can only hope. Best of Luck

fflincher

Active Fanatic
Welcome to the forum.

There has been a great shift in public attitudes.

Once, abhorrent behavior mobilized public opinion to make laws addressing that behavior.
Those laws were designed to punish the offender.
Punishment was intended to inflict retribution on the perpetrator and to intimidate people who might engage in similar behavior. The assumption was that intimidation would result in protecting the public from undesirable acts. Education, self control and enforcement of punishment would thus protect the public.

That thought process has changed.

Instead of relying on the individual to exert self control in order to avoid punishment, the underlying belief is that by restricting the freedom of all while denying everyone the tools used as weapons a greater degree of safety can be guaranteed.

I believe that paradigm is not as humane or evolved: it fails to foster personal development, responsibility or citizenship as do the previous standards. It reverses gains previously made in the advancement of civilization. It interferes with the normal maturation of the individual from a guided, protected, monitored child to independent, responsible adult.

I fear that reversal of human progress is in process in both our countries.

KS95B40

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the forum from Kansas, one of the more gun friendly US states.

How long our freedoms last is anyone's guess...

Latest posts