Handguard length on a 16" barrel

Skogkat

Fanatic
Hi fellas,

I'm looking for input here from your collected experiences. I'm just getting into competitive shooting, and looking at getting a new handguard for my AR.

I'm pretty tall at 6'3", so my concern is that a 12" may be too short. If I'm running a 16" barrel, is a 15" handguard too long?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
15's not too long, just don't accidently grab out too far & get your hand near the comp

Skogkat

Fanatic
Yeah, and that's my concern actually as I want to put a Miculek on there. I guess one way or another it likely wouldn't be a mistake I'd repeat...

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I'm 6'1" and I have a 16" carbine with a standard 12" length rifle tube on it. It doesn't seem too short and handles well, but it's definitely not as comfortable as the 15" handguard on my rifle. I think arm length is the determining factor, not height, although the two generally go hand in hand. My arms are really long.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Micah_Rowe said:
Did you know, if you stretch your arms out, parallel to the ground, measure from tip to tip of your middle fingers across your chest, that the length is equal to your height?

#jalapenorelish
#mindblown
#smart
The more you know....

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Yeah, and that's my concern actually as I want to put a Miculek on there. I guess one way or another it likely wouldn't be a mistake I'd repeat...
You can put a small rail segment at the end of the support side of the handguard to use as an index.
That should keep you from reaching out too far.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Micah_Rowe said:
Did you know, if you stretch your arms out, parallel to the ground, measure from tip to tip of your middle fingers across your chest, that the length is equal to your height?
#jalapenorelish
#mindblown
#smart
We both listened to the same teacher in 3rd grade!!
#smat.... I mean smart

G Tinney

Well-Known Fanatic
I run a 15" midwest handguard and a titan comp on a 16" barrel, got my finger too close just once... That was all I wanted of that!

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
Get a 15", you want as long as possible to be able to reach out. As said above use something as an index point, I use a pearce grip glock extension screwed into my troy rail, DIY but it works

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'm 6"1"ish. My support hand doesn't get anywhere near the end of a 15" rail. Just don't geek out like Costa and duck your head under your shoulders while hyper extending your elbow. A 15" reach isn't any faster in transitions then a 12-13" reach.

Kinda like a 16" barrel isn't really any faster then an 18" in transitions.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Micah_Rowe said:

#jalapenorelish
#mindblown
#smart
Did that really just happen?

pdh said:
use something as an index point, I use a pearce grip glock extension screwed into my troy rail, DIY but it works
I like this idea. Improvise!

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Did that really just happen?

I like this idea. Improvise!
I did steal it off someone from youtube, cant remember where, although it works well

Skogkat

Fanatic
Thanks for the tips guys! As soon as I decide on a handguard (leaning toward MI) I'll pick out something that seems to pair well for indexing. Thanks again!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I used to use a small rail section at the end of my hand guard at 6 o'clock to give my finger a stopping point, but I realized that most of the time that I didn't put my hand out far enough to reach that point so I took it off to shave a couple ounces.

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
As a wise and somewhat metro-sexual professional 3 gunner, or is it somewhat wise and metro-sexual pro 3 gunner, recently advised me, be careful getting a hand guard too close to the end of the barrel because some stages require you to shoot through holes that aren't big enough to get the hand guard into. I went with a 15" SLR with an 18" satern barrel and a Fortis red muzzle brake

Latest posts