Hand loads for Thompson M1A1

Petard

Active Fanatic
1655583982308.jpeg
Not 1911 related, but .45acp at least. I'm comfortable loading for my 1911's, but would really like to load some for my M1A1 and can't help but think my average handgun loads get slowed down by double the barrel length. Right now I have lots of Shooters World Ultimate Pistol and some Unique. SW reloading date for 230gr (barrel length not specified, but lets assume 5" and under) is max 7.2 grains for a velocity of 935fps. I'm not finding any chamber pressure data for the Thompson, but am considering some loads of 6.8gr to see how she likes them. Anyone load for a M1A1 or have helpful suggestions? Cheers, Petard.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
View attachment 26918
Not 1911 related, but .45acp at least. I'm comfortable loading for my 1911's, but would really like to load some for my M1A1 and can't help but think my average handgun loads get slowed down by double the barrel length. Right now I have lots of Shooters World Ultimate Pistol and some Unique. SW reloading date for 230gr (barrel length not specified, but lets assume 5" and under) is max 7.2 grains for a velocity of 935fps. I'm not finding any chamber pressure data for the Thompson, but am considering some loads of 6.8gr to see how she likes them. Anyone load for a M1A1 or have helpful suggestions? Cheers, Petard.

Every round I ever fired from the Thomson was standard Military 45acp ball.
I would imaging the gun was designed for the Standard 230 gr loading.

Good luck on your search, let us know what you find.

Petard

Active Fanatic
Every round I ever fired from the Thomson was standard Military 45acp ball.
I would imaging the gun was designed for the Standard 230 gr loading.

Good luck on your search, let us know what you find.
That's a VERY valid point.

Edit: And there you have it!
How fast does a 45 ACP bullet travel?
The standard issue military .45 ACP round has a 230-grain bullet that travels at approximately 830 feet per second when fired from the government issue M1911A1 pistol and approximately 950 feet per second from the M1A1 Thompson submachine gun.
.45 ACP - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Oh BTW the Thomson, was the Old mans favorite for house to house fighting in Germany.
He named his Betsey Imagine that LOL.
There is something about 20, 230 grain big fat Boolets coming at you, that has a big pucker factor effect. :eek:

leighton meester fox GIF by makinghistory

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
View attachment 26918
Cool gun!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh BTW the Thomson, was the Old mans favorite for house to house fighting in Germany.
He named his Betsey Imagine that LOL.

There is something about 20, 230 grain big fat Boolets coming at you, that has a big pucker factor effect. :eek:

leighton meester fox GIF by makinghistory
I'm thinking any incoming would have the afore said effect on my anatomy, lol!

Petard

Active Fanatic
Cool gun!
Thank you. Wanted one since I was a kid. No way was I going to get one with that monster "legal" barrel, so I laid out the extra for the "normal" barrel and a pretty stamp. Took a freakin' year. Fortunately, I worked at the store/range where I bought it, so got to shoot her when ever I wanted. Big, heavy, over-priced, but all mine. lol. I even have a full box of 1944 head-stamped FMJ to use in pictures when I get ready. (Guy brought two boxes into the range to shoot, I saw them and traded him modern S&B for them.)

Latest posts