Hammer strut strikes sear when cocking hammer.

Dogrocket

Fanatic
Para 1911 locks up when I rack the slide mostly. Sometimes I get hammer follow when racking. And a few times when racking and dry firing the hammer stops on half cock. I know that is a lot of symptoms. This gun has a lot of issues. I bought a used Para Expert 14.45 (Charlotte NC, 80 series trigger) on GunBroker. At the range it shot fine for the first couple of sessions. I use the Para 14 round double stack 45 APC magazines and Remington 15 round mags. Then one day the gun jammed. It was cocked but the trigger would not move. I stripped it down and found the sear pin was bent. That was weird. Never saw that before. Did I say that I bought the gun used? Changed out the bad pin and the gun was fine for a couple of sessions at the range. And then it jammed again. Stripped it down to inspect everything. I put it back together and on the bench it would lock up when cocked or sometimes a hammer follow when working the slide. I swapped out the sear spring. No joy. I removed the grip safety so I could look inside while pulling back the hammer. What I found was when the hammer was pulled back the hammer strut contacted the sear. Something else is not right. So I ordered the Ed Brown sear disconnector and hammer set to swap out the MIM parts. While I am waiting on Brownells I changed the parts using some leftovers from a Colt. I got the same result. So I took a Dremel to the used parts. I relieved the hammer strut slightly and put a small notch on the lower edge of the sear until I could see daylight between them when cocked. Now it doesn't jam anymore but the hammer sometimes stops on half cock. Having multiple issues has thrown me for a loop. I really like this Para with the 14 round capacity and want to get it right.

Latest posts