Colt Got any old Colts?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I found this site about old Colts.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I will try to pull it out of the safe and post a few. I would love to get proper grips for it.

I am not an advocate of the .25ACP, but that little sucker does nice head shots at 10 feet.
The original James Bond in Ian Fleming's Books carried a .25 cal. M made him give it up after he got shot, and took months to recover. Can't remember which book though. Probably work fine for a crotch shot too. Clint Smith says shoot 'em in the crotch. It's the first thing you'll cross when you are bringing your gun up! Dang Clint! LOL!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The original James Bond in Ian Fleming's Books carried a .25 cal. M made him give it up after he got shot, and took months to recover. Can't remember which book though. Probably work fine for a crotch shot too. Clint Smith says shoot 'em in the crotch. It's the first thing you'll cross when you are bringing your gun up! Dang Clint! LOL!
PS nice baby Colt.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The only gun that gets the "glove treatment". Glad you asked for pictures, it was getting a little rust on the slide... Hit it with some Hoppes and a generous coat of Ren Wax. Need to research how to strip it, can't quite remember. Several years ago my Mom gave me the option of one of two guns, the Colt or a nicely made off brand .22 SA/DA revolver. I would have gotten a LOT more use out of the revolver, but, this is a Colt...

I will have to check out the Altamont grips Mike. It is a neat little gun, a little over 100 years old if the Colt serial number website is correct. I am pretty sure it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2314[1]3.jpg
    IMG_2314[1]3.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2315[1]2.jpg
    IMG_2315[1]2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2316[1].jpg
    IMG_2316[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The only gun that gets the "glove treatment". Glad you asked for pictures, it was getting a little rust on the slide... Hit it with some Hoppes and a generous coat of Ren Wax. Need to research how to strip it, can't quite remember. Several years ago my Mom gave me the option of one of two guns, the Colt or a nicely made off brand .22 SA/DA revolver. I would have gotten a LOT more use out of the revolver, but, this is a Colt...

I will have to check out the Altamont grips Mike. It is a neat little gun, a little over 100 years old if the Colt serial number website is correct. I am pretty sure it is.

Fred If the pistol had plastic grips from the factory, would they not have the colt imprint in them?
I don't know the Shoe history on the .25

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It has been a while since I looked into it. But I think they looked like these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004035779

I like the Altamont ones with the Colt medallion. I assume they also had wooden ones like in your post above Mike.

Here we go, this sounds right, and is from the Altamont link you posted.

"The Colt Vest Pocket was made from 1908 to 1945 and 409,000 were produced, many of which are in excellent shape. The factory grips were hard rubber and checkered walnut. Ivory and pearl were placed on special orders. There are few fitting problems."

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Looks like 1919. Kinda funny, Colt was making striker fired pistols a hundred years ago, 80 something years before Glock...

Attachments

• image_2022-12-17_112521940.png
    image_2022-12-17_112521940.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 3

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
My 1903 Hammerless Frankenstein pistol. Frame dates to 1911 and the slide is 1926... fun little 32acp shooter.

View attachment 29759
Wasn't that like the gun that Dillinger was supposed to have had when he was gunned down by the feebs outside the theatre? I thought I remember he was supposed to have had a Colt along those lines. My memory is a bit hazy as I get older.

SparkyAZ

Well-Known Fanatic
Wasn't that like the gun that Dillinger was supposed to have had when he was gunned down by the feebs outside the theatre? I thought I remember he was supposed to have had a Colt along those lines. My memory is a bit hazy as I get older.
I think my memory follows along the same lines as yours Bob... I do not recall. Maybe another Fanatic can help us out!

Latest posts