Good .308 load to get started with.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Posted this in the thread about my rifle, but figured it might come in handy to someone here.

I read over and over again on a lot of forums that 41.5 grains of IMR 4895, pushing a 168 BTHP was a good all around load, and was a bit skeptical. It is supposedly the "go to" load for M1As shooting 600 yard matches. This was shot out of my 20" Savage 5R.

Finally got some trigger time today and here are my results, remember that I am not new to precision shooting, but am also not good at it yet.

This was the first 5 shot group I shot, at 100 yards. New gun, had only about ten rounds through it before this, to get it zeroed. I am gonna call that bottom round my fault, I can't ever seem to send 5 rounds without pulling one.

image-77156774.jpg

Moved to 200 yards and shot some 3 round groups.
First 3 shot group at 200
image-722608139.jpg

Second 3 shot group at 200
image-1011870939.jpg

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks great to me, I'd call those both at least 1/2 MOA, I might have to try that load too. I don't really have any components for .308 right now so I am SOL until things get back to more normal, I figure about a year, until then I'll just have to make do with my .338 Lapua. :triniti: Oh good shooting by the way, I used to shoot indoor precision and that first 200 yard group was the type of thing we looked for because that basically told you that you were doing all the right things and that what you were seeing was the mechanical accuracy of your rifle.

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
Outstanding!
As I recall from shooting high power years ago, you are correct in that 4895(IMRorH)was the go to powder for m14 and the 30-06 M1garand service rifles for many shooters. I used it as well in a bolt match rifle and it was always satisfactory.

Don't recall the exact charge weight but I am thinking it was 41.5 with GI brass, 42 with commercial brass.
4895 is always a good choice in the .308.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
oldglock said:
Outstanding!
As I recall from shooting high power years ago, you are correct in that 4895(IMRorH)was the go to powder for m14 and the 30-06 M1garand service rifles for many shooters. I used it as well in a bolt match rifle and it was always satisfactory.

Don't recall the exact charge weight but I am thinking it was 41.5 with GI brass, 42 with commercial brass.
4895 is always a good choice in the .308.
Yup, this was in LC LR Brass.

Latest posts