ghost ring sights?

fünfundvierzig

Fanatic
Any of you folks (older ones, especially!) had experience with rear ghost ring sights, either 1911 or Glock?

fünfundvierzig

Fanatic
In what way(s)? Bulky? Imprecise? I've never used one, but find as I age (more), I'm having more problems with standard sights...so I'm trying to learn.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
I also tried one some years ago........did not work for me.
Always liked TFO front with 10-8 black rear.....
Trijicon Red Dot now............YMMV

TR

fünfundvierzig

Fanatic
I also tried one some years ago........did not work for me.
Always liked TFO front with 10-8 black rear.....
Trijicon Red Dot now............YMMV

TR
Hi, TR;
Can you articulate _why_ you didn't like the ghost ring? Too big? Hard to align? Hard to acquire? I'm trying to find reasons that haven't occurred to me...

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually it was somewhat easy to acquire the initial sight picture.....if you had a big enough ghost ring. Then the problem was to get the front sight centered so you could make an accurate shot. Across the room accuracy was O.K. but any further and shot placement was questionable (for me at least). As a minor aside it also made finding the front sight troublesome (sometimes) as you had to find it thru the ghost ring.
Now in actuality, a Red Dot is similar in it's use but you have a much bigger "Ring" and your target focused. Also, once properly sighted in the Red Dot can be anywhere in the "ring" and still be on target. You don't have to line them up like any kind of front/rear sight setup. Hopes this helps......

TR

fünfundvierzig

Fanatic
Actually it was somewhat easy to acquire the initial sight picture.....if you had a big enough ghost ring. Then the problem was to get the front sight centered so you could make an accurate shot. Across the room accuracy was O.K. but any further and shot placement was questionable (for me at least). As a minor aside it also made finding the front sight troublesome (sometimes) as you had to find it thru the ghost ring.
Now in actuality, a Red Dot is similar in it's use but you have a much bigger "Ring" and your target focused. Also, once properly sighted in the Red Dot can be anywhere in the "ring" and still be on target. You don't have to line them up like any kind of front/rear sight setup. Hopes this helps......

TR
Thanks!

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Just not able to shoot accurately with them
They were not precise enough, and they blocked a great deal of the target at distances

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Fün'

I was using the Aro Tek sights.

I'll do this, I'm headed home in a few weeks. I'll try to find the sight set I have. We are moving so if they are not in a parts bin, I might not be able to find them for quite a while. Any rate, if they are where I think they are, you can have the sight set. They were on a G17 for only a few months.

fünfundvierzig

Fanatic
Fün'

I was using the Aro Tek sights.

I'll do this, I'm headed home in a few weeks. I'll try to find the sight set I have. We are moving so if they are not in a parts bin, I might not be able to find them for quite a while. Any rate, if they are where I think they are, you can have the sight set. They were on a G17 for only a few months.
That's more than generous of you, Bender! Don't know quite what to say... I'll await your notification and give my address or phone number or something, eh?

fflincher

Active Fanatic
Tried 'em on a Ruger Mk II bull barrel. The rear aperture covered too much of the target for a quick shot and almost demanded a rest to stay on target for me.

With the rest and extra time I was able to get the same groups I could get with the original adjustable open sights. Since they were slower to get on target and I was concerned about them catching on things and maybe bending, I took 'em off.

I've got pistol braces for Glocks that might allow for an aperture to improve accuracy at a specific distance, but my intended use for that get-up is to use Kentucky Windage for 9X19 trajectory out to 100 yards or so.1567630492052.png

edit: I'm 76 now, cataracts in both eyes, macular degeneration in the left. Musta been 10-20 years ago I tried the peep rear.

Last edited:

fünfundvierzig

Fanatic
Tried 'em on a Ruger Mk II bull barrel. The rear aperture covered too much of the target for a quick shot and almost demanded a rest to stay on target for me.

With the rest and extra time I was able to get the same groups I could get with the original adjustable open sights. Since they were slower to get on target and I was concerned about them catching on things and maybe bending, I took 'em off.

I've got pistol braces for Glocks that might allow for an aperture to improve accuracy at a specific distance, but my intended use for that get-up is to use Kentucky Windage for 9X19 trajectory out to 100 yards or so.View attachment 5484

edit: I'm 76 now, cataracts in both eyes, macular degeneration in the left. Musta been 10-20 years ago I tried the peep rear.

Thanks for the input, FFlincher. I'm getting the impression the sight is too far away from the eye to be effective without obscuring the target. I have a "ghost ring" on my muzzle loader rifle that works quite well - but obviously waayyy different eye-to-sight distance and platform bracing. (75 y.o., cataracts removed from both eyes, so they work O.K.. Fine motor control...dubious.)