First SBR

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I got a trust a couple months ago and submitted a eForms form 1 back in September. It was disapproved due to incorrect model listed so I submitted again on 10/29. Got approval and the stamp emailed to me today.

PSA stripped upper and lower
UCWRG grip
MOE stock
BCM BCG
BCM mod 3 charging handle
ALG ACT trigger
Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel in 5.56mm
Syrac Ordnance gas block
Lantac Dragon muzzle brake
Midwest Industries 9" SSM keymod rail
Troy folding battle sights

Will probably eventually change the stock as it's just one I had on hand and will also get an Aimpoint Micro once funds allow and add an Inforce WML.

pJdmXKe.jpg

Qz1TdOo.jpg

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Very cool. I think that is my next addition to the want list. Do you have to have a lower already, or do you get the stamp, then build the rifle?

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Tech said:
Very cool. I think that is my next addition to the want list. Do you have to have a lower already, or do you get the stamp, then build the rifle?
Part of the form you fill out requires the manufacturer, model, serial number and caliber of the firearm you plan make a NFA firearm with, so you'd need to have the lower already. BUT, you certainly don't build the SBR until you have your stamp. Just get the lower, send in the form (I did eForms with a trust), and then build when you get your stamp.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Flatland Shooter said:
Were you required to specify barrel length on the application?

If not, can you legally have several short uppers for one lower?

Thanks.

Bill
Yes, & yes

You have specify overall weapon length on the form, but after you receive your stamp you can put any upper you want on it.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Tony is right. You have to fill out barrel length, overall length and caliber on the form. After you manufacture it to those original specs you can put any upper you want on it. You could have one SBR lower and a dozen uppers in various configurations if you wanted to.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Wouldn't it be as long as you don't go shorter than the overall length on your paperwork, and anyone know if it is ok to have a 5.56 short barrel upper if it was registered 300BLK?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
You can attach any upper you want, after you receive your stamp. Regardless of length or cal.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Register it as short as you can. As long as it can restored to the configuration you have listed on the paperwork, you can have any length upper on there "temporarily" for as long as you want.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I took it out today and shot it. First was for function. It was overgassed at first due to the adjustment screw being way out. I turned it down until it didn't extract a spent case once. Turned it out one full turn. Shot fine but didn't lock back on an empty mag the one time. Turned it out another half turn. Locked back on every mag I shot today after that. I only shot 220 rounds through it, but a lot of the shooting was just 5 rounds in each mag.

I had a hard time zeroing it. I got the windage pretty spot on easily. It was low at 50 and I forgot my front sight tool. So... I pushed in the detent with an allen wrench and used the hollowpoint of a bullet to press into the front sight post and turn it. I drove almost an hour to shoot so I wasn't going home to get the front sight tool. It worked and I was able to adjust the front sight post by pressing it into the lead center of the hollowpoint. I think I got the elevation pretty close, but I just wasn't accurate. I don't at all think it was the rifle. I had a really hard time focusing on the front sight post. If I got a hard focus on the front sight post, the 6"-8" splatter type paper target was super blurry and hard to tell when I was in the center of it. If I merged so both were blurry then it was hard to tell the exact top of the front sight post, almost as if there was a mirage of it above the actual post. I've never had this problem with irons before. I think it might have a little bit to due with the closeness of the front sight versus how close it is on my 16" and 20" ARs with irons. I had a hard time putting half of the rounds on the 6"-8" target at 50 but was hitting the 12" steel hanging at 100 almost every shot. I think the contrast of the colors of targets vs background played a part, as did the sun in my eyes. But, I've never shot that bad or had that much of a problem focusing on the front sight post. Thoughts?

Latest posts