Fairbanks

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Been looking for some shoots up here! Just joined the site today, who do I need to get a hold of for tips and tricks of the trade?

From what most of the forums have said, ask around to try gear, i have no problems paying rental fees to try different set ups/gaining knowledge

dennishoddy

AKjosh12 said:
Been looking for some shoots up here! Just joined the site today, who do I need to get a hold of for tips and tricks of the trade?

From what most of the forums have said, ask around to try gear, i have no problems paying rental fees to try different set ups/gaining knowledge
Welcome to the BoomerShooter! Ask away if you have any questions about regs, guns etc.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
When/what are some good local shoots or matches that I can watch to get a feel for the sport before going in and making a fool of myself.

Also I know i'm horrible at pistol.. Have been reading that dry fire exercises really help for consistent smooth trigger pulls. Have been doing this a bit with different targets. I also have been shooting to improve my follow ups. I recently sold my .45 and went 9mil, had a micro compact which is not beneficial for accuracy or returning the pistol to target. (Mainly me sucking at pistol really) Bought a springer precision comp that should be in this monday, but I refuse to put in the trigger kit I bought until I can be consitent with a factory trigger.

What are some things you use and why? (Belts, holsters upgrades etc)

Trying to look for functional items/advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
AKjosh12 said:
When/what are some good local shoots or matches that I can watch to get a feel for the sport before going in and making a fool of myself.

Also I know i'm horrible at pistol.. Have been reading that dry fire exercises really help for consistent smooth trigger pulls. Have been doing this a bit with different targets. I also have been shooting to improve my follow ups. I recently sold my .45 and went 9mil, had a micro compact which is not beneficial for accuracy or returning the pistol to target. (Mainly me sucking at pistol really) Bought a springer precision comp that should be in this monday, but I refuse to put in the trigger kit I bought until I can be consitent with a factory trigger.

What are some things you use and why? (Belts, holsters upgrades etc)

Trying to look for functional items/advice. Thanks in advance for your help.
For dry fire, get Ben Stoeger's dry fire trying guides. It helps to know what/how to practice.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks! looks pretty promising will definitely be picking up a DVD and watching some youtube videos from Stoeger's style of training.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Been frustrated with no local matches and having to drive 300+ miles to shoot once w month. Started setting up my own shoots, i'm no pro and need a lot of work. Constructive criticism on course layout and my shooting is welcome on the youtube link below.

Course starts out off hand shooting with the rifle and the rest you can tell what it is no shoots are the white targets. Enjoy or something heh heh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77O6Xr7ldzY

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
AKjosh12 said:
Been frustrated with no local matches and having to drive 300+ miles to shoot once w month. Started setting up my own shoots, i'm no pro and need a lot of work. Constructive criticism on course layout and my shooting is welcome on the youtube link below.

Course starts out off hand shooting with the rifle and the rest you can tell what it is no shoots are the white targets. Enjoy or something heh heh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77O6Xr7ldzY
I was wore out just watching that. What was that course of fire, about a mile long?

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe, 3/10's to 4/10's of a mile. It's a bit of running, but all all of the ones I have set up so far have a little. Working on saving more money to get some of the pigeon flippers and a few poppers. My buddy is a welder which helps vs buying brand name targets and paying for shipping. Our next course will be 15 July, going to put out some polymer reaction balls for both the pistol and rifle at a couple distances. Will have them shoot them 5-10 times each before moving to the next area just to mess with people. 😜

Posted my course designs for July. Might have closer to 20 people so decided to make two courses with 10 people for each then a swap out. I know it's ghetto but microsoft paint gets the job done unless you guys know a better program? Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_6115.PNG
    IMG_6115.PNG
    319.3 KB · Views: 10

dennishoddy

AKjosh12 said:
Maybe, 3/10's to 4/10's of a mile. It's a bit of running, but all all of the ones I have set up so far have a little. Working on saving more money to get some of the pigeon flippers and a few poppers. My buddy is a welder which helps vs buying brand name targets and paying for shipping. Our next course will be 15 July, going to put out some polymer reaction balls for both the pistol and rifle at a couple distances. Will have them shoot them 5-10 times each before moving to the next area just to mess with people.

Posted my course designs for July. Might have closer to 20 people so decided to make two courses with 10 people for each then a swap out. I know it's ghetto but microsoft paint gets the job done unless you guys know a better program? Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks,
Josh
Very cool! If your getting shooters, they must like your course of fire.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
There's not a huge 3 Gun scene out here, the closest is a 10 hour + round trip pending weather. If one of you guys that are grand masters or 3 gun semi/pros would like to give us some pointers that would be AWESOME. Free place to crash for a week/weekend if interested in visiting next summer. Here's the shoot from today.. Almost ate **** on a log heh and need lots of work in general. https://youtu.be/cIzh5g2aA90

dennishoddy

Lol, you broke the 180 rule at :38 seconds with your rifle. I'm not a 3 gunner, but you had an interesting course of fire.
Where did all the car hulks come from in the gravel bar? Washed in from upstream? Look burnt?
That could be made into a zombi course of fire!

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Some people are just A holes and drive cars out to the river to blow them up.... pretty sad really, but makes the area interesting for sure. Most of the cars were covered this year due to it being flooded.

Hmmm see what you mean, i did not point the gun down towards the targets. I will look into that when setting up the next shoot for sure.
The ones I have set up are definitely a lot different than the one "official match I went to" (10 hour round trip...). Shooters were nice but the guy running it was kind of a jerk. Called ahead to ask what I needed since I'd be driving over night to make the morning match. He told me nothing for the first match. I picked up a CR Speed bet and a shell caddy to practice loading the shotgun. When I arrived I asked if he knew anyone with a holster he gave me a hard time and acted like I was a moron.... ( told him I was the guy that called a week in advance) and he said oh ya, got assesed time penalties for each match (super sweet). Welcome to 3 gun in Alaska

You do pistol steel matches or something? That is usually the area I do the worst in.

dennishoddy

AKjosh12 said:
Some people are just A holes and drive cars out to the river to blow them up.... pretty sad really, but makes the area interesting for sure. Most of the cars were covered this year due to it being flooded.

Hmmm see what you mean, i did not point the gun down towards the targets. I will look into that when setting up the next shoot for sure.
The ones I have set up are definitely a lot different than the one "official match I went to" (10 hour round trip...). Shooters were nice but the guy running it was kind of a jerk. Called ahead to ask what I needed since I'd be driving over night to make the morning match. He told me nothing for the first match. I picked up a CR Speed bet and a shell caddy to practice loading the shotgun. When I arrived I asked if he knew anyone with a holster he gave me a hard time and acted like I was a moron.... ( told him I was the guy that called a week in advance) and he said oh ya, got assesed time penalties for each match (super sweet). Welcome to 3 gun in Alaska

You do pistol steel matches or something? That is usually the area I do the worst in.
I do USPSA, and Steel Challenge. Been fighting some eye issues here lately, so more steel with a red dot than open sighted pistol.
The zombie idea is just a gimmic to get folks interested in coming. Something different and you have the perfect setup with those hulks.

Latest posts