Everything clays

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Hopefully this forum will help with questions about shooting clays. whether it be skeet, trap, sporting or action shooting that involves clays. Every other discipline on this board required aiming with front site or through a scope. Since shooting clays is the opposite, this should help some folks out. Please post new topics and advice so everyone can learn.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
Once upon a time I took some skeet lessons. The instructor was very good. I was able to hit clays from station four for the first time under his tutelage. I promptly forgot the details of what he taught me. He suggested a certain distance to pre-stage the muzzle prior to calling for the bird. Can you tell me what that distance is for each station?

dugby

Active Fanatic
The idea is to catch the bird with your eyes and then you can catch it with the gun.

The place to begin the gun is a little different for everyone. To find yours consider the point where the bird becomes more of a detailed object instead of a fleeting blur.

Hold your gun a little past that point. The main thing is to be sure to keep your gun below the line of the travel of the bird so that the gun does not interefere with your sight aquiring the bird. The barrel can not only interefere by way of obstruction but also by way of being the fastest moving thing in view. Your eyes/brain always want to go to the fastest moving thing in view. That is the idea of keeping the gun stationary while you are not yet visually focused on the target.

Another pointer is to have your eyes stationary at the time of the call. Look at something and don't move until your vision says to. Preferably focus your eyes at the distance you will see the bird at. Your eyes take time to focus and when things happen fast every little head start you can give yourself helps.

Good Luck,

Dugby

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Sustained lead distances are somewhat subjective and dependent on you load/gauge.. For a 1300fps 7/8-1oz load, it is about 6 feet sustained from station 4. I prefer low gun starts so I move with the bird, mount the gun, and shoot. I never go to my sights on a SG, so I can't say for sure what the proper leads would be for you.. There is an easy way to see.. Come out and shoot with me you bull shittin gypsy.. :)

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
Sustained lead distances are somewhat subjective and dependent on you load/gauge.. For a 1300fps 7/8-1oz load, it is about 6 feet sustained from station 4. I prefer low gun starts so I move with the bird, mount the gun, and shoot. I never go to my sights on a SG, so I can't say for sure what the proper leads would be for you.. There is an easy way to see.. Come out and shoot with me you bull shittin gypsy.. :)
I am learning not to go to my sights. When I told the instructor that I am an engineer and a pistol shooter he told me I would be trouble. He said i would have a hard time not focusing on the front sight. If he meant for that to he a challenge it worked. I learned to open my eyes wide, since I tend to squinting my weak side eye.

The Antichrome

I am learning not to go to my sights. When I told the instructor that I am an engineer and a pistol shooter he told me I would be trouble. He said i would have a hard time not focusing on the front sight. If he meant for that to he a challenge it worked. I learned to open my eyes wide, since I tend to squinting my weak side eye.

I just pretend that the clay is my front sight (its usually the same color;-)

WhiteyMacD

Founding Member
When I was younger I shot skeet and trap competitively in the NE US. If anyone has any questions I can help. Although, I imagine the discipline has changed some in the last 14 years (last I competed was that long ago).

Its a sport I wish I had more time to go back to, but it never fails if the weather is right and I have the time, I get invited to golf a really nice course.

Would love to see a group put together to go bust clay for fun. Had several opportunities to join some local groups, but my LONG hiatus from the sport has left me somewhat nervous. So Ill get it out there, I can tell you what you need to know, but I am not sure if I can do what I use to. ;)

Remington

Fanatic
I used to shoot skeet a ton growing up. Used to shoot out at Tinker if that tells how long ago it is. I just joined at Tri-City and plann to use their skeet range. It's really close to home for me so I can't wait for the time to change and the weather as well.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I went to the skeet range last Saturday. I finally busted 25. It only took me three rounds to do it.

dennishoddy

When I was younger I shot skeet and trap competitively in the NE US. If anyone has any questions I can help. Although, I imagine the discipline has changed some in the last 14 years (last I competed was that long ago).

Its a sport I wish I had more time to go back to, but it never fails if the weather is right and I have the time, I get invited to golf a really nice course.

Would love to see a group put together to go bust clay for fun. Had several opportunities to join some local groups, but my LONG hiatus from the sport has left me somewhat nervous. So Ill get it out there, I can tell you what you need to know, but I am not sure if I can do what I use to. ;)

I'm a bird hunter, that likes to shoot clays.
We have an auto thrower that we use in the summer to keep tuned up.
If you get some time off, I would love to do Silver leaf or another range if you up to it.
PM me if thats OK.
I'm not a great shooter, but one that likes to have fun shooting. ;)

wnm

New Fanatic
I shoot at Ada Skeet and Trap.

There is a Wednesday night shoot weekly. White clays and big lights on the fields.

dennishoddy

I shoot at Ada Skeet and Trap.

There is a Wednesday night shoot weekly. White clays and big lights on the fields.

I've shot the range at Ada. Couple of years ago, our company guys decided to have a shoot with a traveling trophy among the other plants. We made the first year, but plant overhauls have prevented going back there.

Its a really good facility!

sparks40

Fanatic
Finally shot my first 25 straight today (yes Javier 25 clays, 25 shots). Big thanks to mister Pinto for all his help! now if I can only do it again next weekend at the state match!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Would love to see a group put together to go bust clay for fun. Had several opportunities to join some local groups, but my LONG hiatus from the sport has left me somewhat nervous. So Ill get it out there, I can tell you what you need to know, but I am not sure if I can do what I use to.
wink.gif

Don't forget this: 1st Annual BoomerShooter.com Sporting Clays Tournament

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank

Shotgunning (like most other adult sports, golfing, etc) can be ruined by over thinking.

3 basics..

Fit.. shoulder your shotgun with the eyes closed...open your eyes. Where is the bead? If your shotgun "fits"... the bead should be in front of your eye. Most out-of -the -box shotguns seem to be just right for a guy about 5-10" who wears a 16x 32 dress shirt. Most factory shotguns are pretty neutral for cast and the stocks are meant to fit the happy average of right or left handed shooters.

Lead. A old skeet shooter told me "you can't have enough" and he was always right. Lead will vary with the speed , distance and angle to the target. Shoot enough - you will eventually get a sense of what the "picture in the window " looks like for a given situation.

Follow through. Keep the gun moving. Press the shot with the correct lead and stop swinging the gun, You will miss. Follow through is the first thing most new shotgun shooters ignore the most.

lenahorse1

Active Fanatic
I shot reg targets for yrs till I burned myself out awhile and went back to shooting action matches. Mostly trap shooting.
In skeet a good rule is this, think about it, if you got to miss the bird miss it by shooting infront of it, as 99% are missed by shooting behind the target.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
what is a 5 stand?

We authorized our trap and skeet guys to purchase this last night at our local gun club meeting, They were pretty fired up about it. Is it that exciting?

Latest posts