Dura coat.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I've thought about using it to spruce up my 12 ga. Mossberg 930 Thunder Ranch Camo job. But I would try it out on a shot gun or inexpensive gun first. I haven't heard anything bad about the stuff. For my pistols I've sent them out for Cerakote to a pro-outfit. One thing I know for sure is Surface prep is VERY important. It needs to be cleaner than clean. Like an Acetone soaking. Not just an Alcohol wiping.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Smith

New Fanatic
I've thought about using it to spruce up my 12 ga. Mossberg 930 Thunder Ranch Camo job. But I would try it out on a shot gun or inexpensive gun first. I haven't heard anything bad about the stuff. For my pistols I've sent them out for Cerakote to a pro-outfit. One thing I know for sure is Surface prep is VERY important. It needs to be cleaner than clean. Like an Acetone soaking. Not just an Alcohol wiping.
I have used the original formula on 7 AR Lowers. Like what was mentioned already, prep of the parts is key. Bare metal is best sandblasted with the correct media, but already coated parts like that slide are not so difficult. I never had problems with the original stuff that has to be prayed on with an air brush or small spray gun. This would save time if it is just as good. My lowers are many years old now and the stuff has held up well.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Been tempted to use the Dura blue on a police trade in Mossberg, need to get off my lazy bum and go ahead with it

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Been tempted to use the Dura blue on a police trade in Mossberg, need to get off my lazy bum and go ahead with it
What about a Gold 1911 with dura coat.
I have a 1918 colt I am replacing the frame on. Hmmm.

Latest posts