Do you grow your own Vinifera grape vines?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

I got this e-mail from the Grower who sells Grafted grape vines. I asked for a start for making my own Red blend.
This year we start with 10 vines & add 10 more a year later.

Anyone else grow or are thinking of starting your own vines?

When putting together a vineyard for home use, remember that it takes about 10 vinifera vines to end up with a typical 5 gallon carboy of wine (without chaptalization) which is 25-30 bottles of standard 750ml. Maybe 3 Carmenere 3 Cab Sauv, 2 Merlot and 2 Petit Verdot. If you had room and time for 20 vines, even better. Double up on the Carmenere, Cab Sauv and Merlot, keep the Petit Verdot at 2 and add 2 Cab Franc. Endless possibilities on the actual blend. I'll keep you posted on when we are ready to start shipping.

ILED93

Well-Known Fanatic

I got this e-mail from the Grower who sells Grafted grape vines. I asked for a start for making my own Red blend.
This year we start with 10 vines & add 10 more a year later.

Anyone else grow or are thinking of starting your own vines?

When putting together a vineyard for home use, remember that it takes about 10 vinifera vines to end up with a typical 5 gallon carboy of wine (without chaptalization) which is 25-30 bottles of standard 750ml. Maybe 3 Carmenere 3 Cab Sauv, 2 Merlot and 2 Petit Verdot. If you had room and time for 20 vines, even better. Double up on the Carmenere, Cab Sauv and Merlot, keep the Petit Verdot at 2 and add 2 Cab Franc. Endless possibilities on the actual blend. I'll keep you posted on when we are ready to start shipping.

Sounds interesting. My grandpa made homemade wine from a variety of fruits when I was a kid. Some of it was pretty good, some, not so much. lol

I do like reds and red blends, though, as long as they're not too sweet.

Latest posts