DMR scope recommendations.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I am currently running a 1-4 optic on my rifle, which is pretty good for 3gun, but one of my local ranges is starting to run a quarterly DMR/SPR rifle only match. The match is 6 stages, with 1 being a bay stage with fairly short distance, and 5 being longer range stages (out to 600 yards). I have been considering getting a higher power scope for a while. I never use my optic at 1x anyways since I am shooting Open / Unlimited and have a offset EOtech on my rifle.

I will likely start off with a Bushnell AR Optics 3-12x40. It has a BDC reticle that I like, and I already have it.

http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/3-12x-40mm

If I like the match, which I think I will from what I have seen from it, I will want to get a better optic in the long run. Not really sure what to get though. I'd like to keep the lower end of the magnification around 2-3x, as that the magnification I use the most in 3gun right now.

Was looking at the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 optic and like the looks of it. It's first focal plane which I really like, and the price isn't too bad either. It has a couple of nice reticle options which both give good stadia marks for holdovers. Comes in around $800 depending on were you buy it from.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x32-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle/reticle

Any other recommendations for that type of optic. Only requirements is a lower magnifacation on lower end (2-3x), and has a reticle that can be used for holdovers. A BDC, Mil Dot, MRAD (like the Vortex), etc.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Check out this scope from Bushnell. It is in their Elite 3500 line. The glass (made in Japan) will be many times better than their AR line and will likely be a fraction of the cost of the Vortex. I put one similar on my mom's coyote rifle and it is great. I am sure Jesse will be along shortly with a Optics Planet discount code. Might even save you 10%.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
You going to be shooting 10" plates or just plain ol' "C" targets? you'd be surprised what you can do with a low powered scope at range! now if your shooting 2" dots at 600 yards it's a different thing! full size IPSC targets you could do 600 pretty easy with 6X but drop a 45% in there at 600 yards and it may get tricky BUT doable heck they snipers back in the day shot 4X out there and I used to shoot a 10X out to 1K pretty easy on full size IPSC steel. I just got one of the Vortex HS-T cause I didn't want the illumination like the PST had and so far pretty impressed! haven't gotten it out to range yet and learning MIL/MIL from MOA/MOA but so far liking the scope. Later,

Kirk

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I believe they ran mostly IPSC sized plates, but they did have some smaller ones at range to make it a little harder. This was the 1st match they ran in this format so they are still making changes. One of my friends is gonna let me borrow a Vortex 2.5-10 for the next match. He wants to sell it to me and said I could try it out first. That would let me know if it's to much scope or just enough. A lot of the guys used a 1-6 the first match from what I am hearing. That's what they already had.

One change I will likely need to do is change bullet weight. I use 55gr now, but 600 may be pushing that some. Might have to build a new load.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Might take a long look at the 75r. Hornady BTHP, load to mag length and so far pretty boring out to 300 yards on a 10" plate with my iron sight rifle. I've got a mess to run over the chronograph this weekend if all goes well loaded with RL15 powder... I'll be shooting them out of my Savage bolt gun so the velocity is going to be a bit higher unless your shooting a 26" barrel :) I will let you know what I find out, so far really liking this bullet! Later,

Kirk

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I'll be using a 18" stainless match AR barrel. So a little shorter than yours. We have a 1000 yard range about 45 minutes from me. I'm gonna get a few differnt loads and try them out at range. Likely 62gr, 69gr, and 75's or 77gr. Not sure my barrel will stabilize the 77's, but I'll give it a shot.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
My iron sight rifle and the savage both have 1-9 twist barrels and love the Hornady 75's

I wish I had a 1K range that close! I need to work on my wind calls BAD :) I will let ya know how things go. Later,

Kirk

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I just ordered some 69's and 77's. From what I am reading, some stainless 1:9 barrels do pretty well with the 77's, some do not. Figure I'll zero for each grain, and shoot them at distance to see how they perform.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Didn't get the velocity I was hoping for but the results look promising! do yourself a favor and work up to these as it was perfectly safe in my rifle... your mileage may vary. Later,

Kirk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 13

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
It's pretty cool what you can do with a good rest and 24X scope :) these were shot from my Savage with 1-9 twist barrel 26" length so I'm guessing about 30FPS per inch slower should be about right. The good thing about these bullets is you don't have to launch them real fast as the BC is high enough they sorta float out there, long as you have your dope the only thing you have to worry about is the wind WHICH still tends to get me grrr. Good luck and let me know how your loads work out. Next time I'm out I will try to run some of these thru my 18" barrel and see what I get but it may be awhile, I've been working up loads for my 6mm Fat Rat and well it's got my attention at the time. Later,

Kirk

Jeremybj

Fanatic
A Vortex PST 2.5-10x42 would be a great choice, and you can find them lightly used very often for under $500. I use one on my 18" dmr rifle and love it.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Gonna go with the Vortex. Used my freinds scope over the weekend and loved it. My buddy offered me a good deal for it too. Thanks for the help.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Kirk Smith (ksmirk) said:
My iron sight rifle and the savage both have 1-9 twist barrels and love the Hornady 75's

I wish I had a 1K range that close! I need to work on my wind calls BAD :) I will let ya know how things go. Later,

Kirk
Took several bullet weights with me to the range to test out. 65, 68, 69. 75, and 77. 65's did pretty good. 75's and 77's were pretty bad. Average group for them was 1 1/2" to 2". The 68's and 69's really stood out. Wasn't much difference in group size between the two. Both were getting sub 1/2" 5 shot groups. I think the 69gr Sierra Match King HPBT did a hair better, but I think I'll stick with the Hornady 68gr HPBT due to the price. I'm not shooting X rings and 600, I'm shooting steel plates, so I'll be good.

My buddies 1/9 barrel did like the 75's and 77's though. I checked my twist rate and it's close to 1:9. (1:8 7/8ths to be exact) His was closer to 1:8 (1: 8 3/8ths).

I have had a chance to get used to the new scope. I love the Vortex. Super clear glass, great reticle, well designed. I know it's not Swaro clear but I didn't pay Swaro money either.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Good to hear! the 68 and 69's are a good choice as well and will be just fine! I got lucky as all my 1-9 barrels shot that 75gr load very well :) and I've got some time on my HST Vortex and I'm liking the glass as well! sounds like your headed down the right path just get some trigger time to figure out the wind... that's the hard part :) later,

Kirk

Latest posts