David Marlow's Shooting Log (Diary sounds too girly)

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Worked transitions today on a target array consisting of US Poppers.

Six runs with pistol, from the holster, average time of 4.56 seconds
Multiple runs with shotgun from port arms, failed to keep track of time, average of just under 4 seconds

Load-12 Drill x 3
String 1, 12.83 with one left side peripheral hit, failed to knock down popper
String 2, 13.37
String 3, 11.82

Lessons learned:

It is very easy to for a training event to devolve into blowing off rounds if you are shooting with someone who has different shooting goals (My competitive training, his just to shoot guns on a fun target array).

FN SLP shotgun is amazing for target transitions The high front FO rod makes keeping a cheek to stock weld easy. I will look into installing a raised front FO rod on the VM. That, in conjunction with the raised comb insert should be great.

Don't get caught up in trying to shoot a brand-new drill quickly, it results in drive-by shooting instead of stopping on each target.

Airic

I shoot.
When I am training for competition, I never take anyone with me. I want all the time spent on my goals to become better. If I have an opportunity to train with someone who is better than me or can teach me something....I spend that range session focusing on that person and what they can teach me.

Welcome to the shooting log. I have found that it is way easier to log things here so I can read back through them later. I tend to lose papers and notebooks easily lol

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Probably a bigger problem with today was not planning enough time for the training goals I had. I planned to shoot some 1-5 drills with pistol and rifle and V drills with the rifle, but ran short of time. From now on, I'll plan my training with more time or with fewer training goals. The weather didn't help either, but no excuses there.

I look forward to posting a crapload on this thread, because I have the same issue with not keeping track with paper logs. I used to be the guy who wrote down every set, rep, and weight in the gym, but found that I was never referring to past workouts in the book. The same applies with shooting. This thread will keep me honest and I certainly welcome all feedback and suggestions to make the most out of my time and money I devote to getting better.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
How do you know this?

I have a spreadsheet I write on at the range when I shoot drills. I'll probably lose a few here and there, but the goal is improving, not necessarily seeing every step along the way.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Shotgun mounting, target transition, and Load 12 drill

10 yards on clay pigeons, port arms start.

Shotgun mounting drill: Average time from buzzer to hit, .81 seconds. Fastest .74, slowest 1.04

Target transition drill: 6 clays, varying height. Average time 5.84 seconds. Fastest 5.11, slowest 7.43

Load 12 drill x 3:

String 1: 12.87
String 2: 12.64
String 3: 11.72

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Did 71 repetitions of first round from the holster on steel silhouette and pepper poppers. Best time was 1.10, shot didn't feel like it should have hit, so I think it was me going to fast and got lucky. Discovered the sweet spot of 1.20 or so provides a blend of speed and consistent called hits. Need to film the draw and see if there is excess movement and do some press out drills to get better at firing a good shot right at extension.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot Dot Torture for the first time today. Five yards instead of three. 47/50 with a miss on dots 5,6, and 9. Timed the strings to establish a baseline.

Dot 1: 9.58 clean

Dot 2: 2.07 avg clean

Dot 3 and 4: 3.16 avg clean

Dot 5: 7.40 one miss

Dot 6 and 7: 4.90 avg one miss on 6

Dot 8: 6.87 clean

Dot 9 and 10: 4.51 one miss on 9

Latest posts