Competition as I Carry...

BravoOne

Founding Member
At the matches I've attended I usually catch some flak for doing the match the way I EDC...

As in I've got my MTAC & carry my extra mag in my left front pocket... I'm decent on the draw & usually get told "man if you had a competiion holster you'd be realm fast!!!" & the like...

Right now I have a Comp-Tac OWB a friend gave me that I'm planning on using and will eventually get a mag carrier, but what do you think about those that "compete as they'd fight" so-to-speak?!?

Originally I got into IDPA for just that... The stress of the competition, but I admit getting third in my class last time I was at a match kinda chapped my tail a little cause I know I coulda probably taken first if I had more competition appropriate equipment LOL

Just lookin' for a little feedback!!! Thanks!!!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I only shoot what I carry at matches. That is the reason I shoot matches, like you, for practice with my EDC

PS I also carry my mags in my pocket

Rick417

www.performanceholsters.com
Not always, but I have done it from time to time. We don't even have any IDPA matches near here, so I have to practice it at a USPSA match.

My USPSA production gun is my carry gun so it is pretty easy to do.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I shoot what I carry too. None of my guns are "tuned", most of my holsters are throwbacks to the 80's.

Matches are my "practice". In a good month, I get to shoot Heartland and H&H... Plus 200 rounds of K frame .22 out at the farm.

It's never about speed for me... Match shooting is a schooling run.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I think more power to you. Unfortunately gamers like like me only shoot for the fun of competition and enjoyment of shooting so the EDC aspect for me only goes as far as the rules make me go. What I suggest you try is alternating competition gear with your EDC gear so you can have the best of both worlds.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I think more power to you. Unfortunately gamers like like me only shoot for the fun of competition and enjoyment of shooting so the EDC aspect for me only goes as far as the rules make me go. What I suggest you try is alternating competition gear with your EDC gear so you can have the best of both worlds.

It doesn't happen often.... But now and then the old guy with the slow gun and gear beats a few of the rocket rangers in a stage..... Sorta makes it all worthwhile

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Although I am not there to be the fastest. Speed can matter in a real life scenario because the one who can access and use his weapon first will have the advantage (doesn't meant win) but a distinct advantage. That being said, lets don't say we are trying to be faster, let's say we are try to be more efficient
biggrin.gif

BravoOne

Founding Member
That's exactly what I've been going for... And the fact that I keep up does give me a warm & fuzzy...

If I really work at my long distance accuracy my points down wouldn't kill me so much... Then I'd be somewhat competitive even with my EDC stuff

jtischauser

IDPA definately is a different speed. That Heartland match for instances is the closest thing we have to IDPA here In OKC. I runthat one at abuot 85-90% of a USPSA match. The guy that wins that match usually is the one that shoots it clean.

BravoOne

Founding Member
Absolutely... I went from Sharpshooter to Marksman all because I screwed the pooch when we went to the last stage because of the distance...

I've watched it at several matches how you can be going great then a few misses and you're done... Myself included :(

Uncivil

Active Fanatic
I agree. I have had a couple give me props for shooting my sub compact out of my crossbreed at IDPA. My only change is a mag holder where EDC i dont carry extra mags yet.

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
Wow did not know I was in such good company!!!! I only shoot matches with my carry gear :D

I'd proly shoot more matches but I am already committed on Sun nights, so Heartland and H&H is out ( most of the time) and now Oilcap will not let me run my AIWB holster so USSA is it.

I might try the OKCGC match and see if they will, seeing how Im on the board and all that out there..

To me a Match is a test of what I can or can't do! and I want to know what I can do with what Ill have on me on THE DAY.

jtischauser

To me a Match is a test of what I can or can't do! and I want to know what I can do with what Ill have on me on THE DAY.

What if THE DAY never comes and in the mean time you miss out on all these fun matches because you couldn't use your IWB holster? Surely you don't think practicing by shooting a match with an OWB holster will ruin your IWB muscle memory completely?

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
What if THE DAY never comes and in the mean time you miss out on all these fun matches because you couldn't use your IWB holster? Surely you don't think practicing by shooting a match with an OWB holster will ruin your IWB muscle memory completely?

I try to find a happy medium. The gun I use and the ammo pouches are pretty much what I carry anytime I am wearing a jacket or suit. (at church, or in the winter etc)

As one gamer who is also a real world self defense expert once told me "Nothing impractical about being able to shoot fast, and reload while moving"

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd at least add a couple of mag pouches for the matches and keep using the IWB. In a likely defense scenario, the reload isn't going to be a critical component. Ask you SO to give you the split times on your reload from the pocket and I think a lot of your lost time will show up there. Good on you for shooting with what you carry! :)

Steeltanto

Fanatic
I started out shooting my EDC out of my MTAC, but became more competitive. My EDC now is an MP9c, I shoot a 9L in IDPA so it's essentially the same gun. In IDPA however I use a Comp-Tac OWB and Bladetech mag carrier. I've accepted IDPA for what it is and thoroughly enjoy it. For me it introduces me to scenarios and situations I would never imagine myself in and see how I react to it. I think IDPA rules, for the most part, help in a defensive situation by forcing the use of cover and proper movement.

Of course the more people that choose to train as opposed to compete at these matches the better chance I have...haha. :D

ChrisC

Revolver Division
I shoot my comp stuff the way I train. I shoot my carry gun the way I train. Two different mindsets.

Latest posts