Commander Mag Size?

Jack1911

Fanatic
Hello,
I have a 9mm colt combat commander like this: https://shopcoltguns.com/combat-commander-9mm/ and I have been having trouble finding mags. I spoke with Mec-gar and they recommended these: MGCGOV9LCB but they are too short by about the length of one round.

What is the size breakdown for a "commander" and what magazines will actually fit this? I am thinking that a standard mag might actually work but I don't have one in 9mm available to test for fit. I am also seeing that midway is selling magazines that will fit both (govt and commander) ?? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022852075?pid=122851

Thanks!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello,
I have a 9mm colt combat commander like this: https://shopcoltguns.com/combat-commander-9mm/ and I have been having trouble finding mags. I spoke with Mec-gar and they recommended these: MGCGOV9LCB but they are too short by about the length of one round.

What is the size breakdown for a "commander" and what magazines will actually fit this? I am thinking that a standard mag might actually work but I don't have one in 9mm available to test for fit. I am also seeing that midway is selling magazines that will fit both (govt and commander) ?? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022852075?pid=122851

Thanks!
I was going to say Govt, and Commander are full size mags, but someone beat me to it, lol.

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
As above, the magazines between your Colt Combat Commander and a typical 5" Colt Government Model, Gold Cup, Colt Competition Model, etc etc are identical. I'm going to assume your magazine that came with your pistol has a small "M" stamped on the baseplate in the upper right hand corner. The "M" indicates it was manufactured for Colt by Metalform. I've been using Metalform magazines for years and have never had an issue. They can be identified by the stylized "M" on the baseplate. Checking Metalform's website indicates that they make 9mm magazines in the standard 7,8,10 round capacities. The standard magazine capacity is 7 rounds which is what I use. Pic of 7 round OEM Colt magazine compared to Metalform magazine. They are both identical with the exception of the stamping on the baseplate and the addition of magazine bumper screw holes.

8DA0A84D-196B-4BAD-B036-AD0DB9AAF9D2_1_201_a.jpeg

7C1BBAFD-B953-4CE0-974F-2EE273FF3491_1_201_a.jpeg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
As above, the magazines between your Colt Combat Commander and a typical 5" Colt Government Model, Gold Cup, Colt Competition Model, etc etc are identical. I'm going to assume your magazine that came with your pistol has a small "M" stamped on the baseplate in the upper right hand corner. The "M" indicates it was manufactured for Colt by Metalform. I've been using Metalform magazines for years and have never had an issue. They can be identified by the stylized "M" on the baseplate. Checking Metalform's website indicates that they make 9mm magazines in the standard 7,8,10 round capacities. The standard magazine capacity is 7 rounds which is what I use. Pic of 7 round OEM Colt magazine compared to Metalform magazine. They are both identical with the exception of the stamping on the baseplate and the addition of magazine bumper screw holes.

View attachment 29562

View attachment 29563
I love the Colt mags with the M on them. I look for them specifically on ebay and gun broker.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Good description by 22ConversionUnit..
I was given 4 brand new Metalform 9mm mags, ( still in pkg) when I purchased My Springfield Loaded Target on Gunbroker a few years ago.
Nice, that the seller included them..they work well, but I prefer the Mec Gar 9mm mags that I've bought before, for my other 9mm 1911s,.
Reason ? they seem easier to load ( mag springs not as stiff ?) and the top of the Metalform mags seem to have sharp edges, that combined with the stiff spring, can be a little painful to load..in comparison to my Mec Gar mags.. Both mags work fine in the full size & commander sized 9mm 1911's that I own.