Clays!

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Miss, miss, miss, miss, oh I got the corner of that one, miss, miss, miss, break. Out of ammo

That's was the short version of my first clays and the begining of the second sesion.
I went back because it was a challenge I couldn't figure out. I knew the theroy, lead the target follow through. But just couldn't bust the clays except for lucky 2 or 3 out of a box.

On our second. Visit it started poorly but this time my friend had brought his 20g mossberg. All of our clays were thrown with a hand thrower. Cuase that's how we poor people throw. But it also adds a competitive edge (I.E. try to bust this one.) Half way through the first box of ammo we switched guns. We were both missing with our own guns. The mossberg felt like it had a youth stock on it. But still it pointed. I hit four out of five with it. I was amazed I have never shot that well. (We also switched to better targets ones that bust when you hit them not just chip) I picked my gun back up and was still breaking clays. Something had clicked while using the 20g and it stuck. I just out of no where was shooting 70-90% on my runs. I am extremely happy about this.

Go figure another shooting sport I enjoy.(also may be addicted to) when we ran out of clays we called it a day but not before we bought a couple of boxes more of clays

Why didn't anyone tell me how much fun this was?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Sporting clays was my fix until I going action shooting. It's a lot of fun. I'm guessing the recoil of that 12 gauge may have been causing you to think about it rather than the task at hand. The lighter 20 may have allowed you to focus on what you were supposed to long enough To get the technique down. Just a guess as I'm no expert clays shooter.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Sporting clays was my fix until I going action shooting. It's a lot of fun. I'm guessing the recoil of that 12 gauge may have been causing you to think about it rather than the task at hand. The lighter 20 may have allowed you to focus on what you were supposed to long enough To get the technique down. Just a guess as I'm no expert clays shooter.

I LOVE action shooting. But so far I really like clays too. You maybe right, but the recoil on the 12 never bothered me save some 3in OOO buck. I don't even think of it. There were three differences in the guns. The 20g had a two bead sight. Smaller length of pull and less recoil. It aslo pointed really well. I wasn't worried about lead or movement and don't even really remember thinking about the gun at all. It just clicked. I may go do it again either tomorrow or Sunday.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I was thinking the harder hitting 12 may have taken you out of your follow through prematurely. Who knows though. Dennis, Robertand the gang are much more in tune with swinging shotguns than I am.

dennishoddy

Iggie, I suspect Jesse may have diagnosed your initial problem.
Without realizing it, you might have been anticipating the recoil with your gun, and stopping your swing for a split second, resulting in hitting the clay with the outside of the pattern. Coming back to your own gun and having success kind of confirms that.
It is an addictive sport for sure. We used hand throwers as a tune up prior to bird seasons In years past. Walk fields and woods while a partner came in behind throwing clays at his discretion in random directions to simulate flushes.
Talk about tough!
Joel, I'm on board with you. Spring and fall. :D

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Iggie, I suspect Jesse may have diagnosed your initial problem.
Without realizing it, you might have been anticipating the recoil with your gun, and stopping your swing for a split second, resulting in hitting the clay with the outside of the pattern. Coming back to your own gun and having success kind of confirms that.
It is an addictive sport for sure. We used hand throwers as a tune up prior to bird seasons In years past. Walk fields and woods while a partner came in behind throwing clays at his discretion in random directions to simulate flushes.
Talk about tough!
Joel, I'm on board with you. Spring and fall. :D

Thank you dennis. That sounds fun! The bird similation id just need a place to do it I might be able to pull it off where I shoot now maybe...

+1 to Joel's semi annual shoots.

Joel Clouse

El Conquistador
I've heard clay shooting described as a three step process; acquire and follow the target, pass the target, shoot and break the target. Dan Schindler with Paragon School of Sporting Clays teaches that way and it has helped me be a better clay shooter.http://www.paragonschool.com/