Clark Gator AR-15?

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok so I have been doing research on different AR's and every time I feel like I know what I want I find something else. The first thing is what do I want my AR for??? Anything from rapid fire in a tactical fire fight up close, to placing a kill shot on a ground hog at 300 yards. I heard about Gator custom AR's and check out their web site and they promise 1/2 moa starting at $1750.00 I would like some feedback on the HBAR not the varmint. I do not want to go less than an 18" barrel, due to the fact I want as little recoil as possible for quick follow up shots.

http://www.clarkcust...com/gatorar.htm

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Well my first impression is that anyone that wants to get $1700 dollars out of a rifle should not put a Bushnell Halo sight on it in their picture. Lol!

The rifle is overpriced and dated. For $150 more you could buy the real deal Holyfield JP15 which is the rifle that this rifle is imitating anyways. The Miculek comp is a good comp I'm told but it's not the best. I have owned Clark carbon tubes and they are nice but they are dated now because we have thinner, longer, and lighter designs available. An A2 stock, really? Marketing 101 says you gotta have some premium plastic to attract the young and/or tactical crowd. A2 screams we went cheap. It looks like it has a milspec grip as well. The best parts are the barrel and trigger but I would opt for a 1:8 twist instead.

The Stag Arms 3G is a better rifle for $500 less.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Definitely overpriced. Check out the Stag Jesse mentioned or the new Loki 3 gun rifle. Either of those Will have you much more satisfied.

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright guys, if I go with the Stag is there anyway to tighten up the accuracy from 1.5 moa to at least 1 moa or sub moa? I read through all the threads about this gun you have posted in before and all the modifications you would do personally, but you never said why you would do the changes. SO if I were to buy the stag is there any way to get it to shoot a tighter group?

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Alright guys, if I go with the Stag is there anyway to tighten up the accuracy from 1.5 moa to at least 1 moa or sub moa? I read through all the threads about this gun you have posted in before and all the modifications you would do personally, but you never said why you would do the changes. SO if I were to buy the stag is there any way to get it to shoot a tighter group?

So you own a Stag that will only shoot 1.5 MOA? I'm betting they are better than that out of the box. If it isn't and Stag won't do anything about it, buy a Loki barrel and put on it and you'll be .5 MOA immediately.

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
So you own a Stag that will only shoot 1.5 MOA? I'm betting they are better than that out of the box. If it isn't and Stag won't do anything about it, buy a Loki barrel and put on it and you'll be .5 MOA immediately.

No I do not own an Stag, I have just read that the 3G shoots around 1.5 moa off the shelf. I like all the features on the rifle just want to see if there are mods to tighten up the groups.

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
Just looked at the Loki, wow its a nice gun. I haven't heard much about them. Seems like after the mods I would choose from their website I would be spending the same as the Stag. If you have experience with both which would you choose if they both cost the same?

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
If the price is gonna be the same, then go with the Loki (apologies to Jesse being sponsored by Stag). The Loki is made in Oklahoma and I can pretty much guarantee you will get under 1 MOA out of the box.

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok thanks for your advice Doctor JJ. The three comps they offer have never head of them. The corvette, rolling thunder, and battle comp 2.0. Looking for the least ammount of recoil. From the look of it the battle comp is more of a flash suppressor which I do not care about. I want the least amount of recoil as possible.

jtischauser

If u hand load or buy match ammo the Stag 3G will shoot sub MOA all day. I get 1.5-2 MOA with cheap off the shelf ammo just like my JP barrels. A guy emailed me on the other day claiming 1/2 MOS with his hand loads and his new 3G.

jtischauser

You can't get more rifle anywhere compared to the Stag. Stag sells more commercial rifles than anyone. they also manufacture just about every part required to build an AR15. so they can build rifles cheaper than anyone.

Loki will custom bulid what u want.

If your not sure exactly what u want get a stag, shoot it for a year, shoot other peoplescrifjes every chance u get, until figure out what you like then call Loki and place a custom order.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Good points, Jesse. I hope my comments weren't meant to talk down about the Stag. Like I said, if they won't do anything about an accuracy issue, which I'm sure they would, then you could still change out to a custom barrel and STILL be cheaper overall than the Clark.
I only said Loki because I know firsthand what kind of accuracy they are capable of.

jtischauser

No offense taken man. I am curios as To where you read that the Stag Accuracy isn't good enough.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Yeah, I'd like to know where he read that too?? I haven't heard anything bad about their accuracy. And I'm sure Stag would fix a gun if you got one that wasn't accurate.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I had one AR that I built with goodies from a couple of places and I had no problem with accuracy that would keep up with my bolt gun BUT a 24" heavy barrel is nothing you want to carry very far! so it was the drive by p-dog gun or spent it's time under an umbrella on the shooting table. Upper/Lower/ and barrel were DPMS. I'm not knocking any rifles built but if you play your cards right you can build your own for a pretty decent price. I have a soft spot in my heart for the DPMS barrels have used Wilson, Shaw with good results also.

I'm going to say the better rifle builder out there should have no problem holding 1 MOA with handloads, tuned handloads I bet you could get even better. If it's going to be a varmint rig forget the break it's not really needed, I have a SJC on my 3-gun AR but my varmint rig I didn't use one and could see red mist once the shots were over about 150 yards. Good luck don't think the fella's here will steer you the wrong direction. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts