Carrygun Match Oct 2nd, Heartland Outdoors

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Carrygun Match

October

at Heartland Outdoors

When: 1st and 3rd Sunday Night of each month.
Signup: Starts 5:30

Match Type: Handgun, Tactical Action. Emphasis on Carryguns and holsters. IPSC rules with TIME PLUS scoring.
Stages: Four (typically)
Round Count: 50 â€" 72 rds required.

Equipment: Practical guns .380 or larger, carried in practical gear. Holster (required) must cover triggerguard. Two spare magazines or 2 speedloaders will get you thru any stage. No shoulder or pocket holsters or cross-draw rigs. No Race guns or gear.

Rules: Basically, IPSC rules with TIME PLUS scoring.

Divisions:

Low Cap: = 10 rd mags or less. (you may load magazines down for this division)
High Cap: = 11 rd mags or more (load 'em up!)
Revolver: = any revolver, barrel length 2.26" or longer, any capacity.
PDLL: = Ported (like the Glock "C" models) Dot (like the Optima red dot) Lasers and gun-mounted Lights. If your 5-shot J-frame has a laser, it'll compete in this division.
SubCompact: Semi-autos with barrels 3.5" or shorter.
Snubby: 5-6 shot with 2.25" or shorter barrels.
OTHER: IPSC Limited/Production Gun/gear shoot in this Division (equipment placement rules like Production/Single Stack)

Prizes: YES! $50 Heartland Outdoor Gift certificates!
Awarded randomly! Must be present to win.

Limited to first 40 shooters!

Cost: $20

(active military and full-time Law Enforcement ½ price)

Carrygun Match Guidelines​

Safety

1) Safety is everyone’s job. If you see something unsafe, SAY SOMETHING !
2) This is a COLD RANGE. No guns are loaded prior to the “make ready” command.
3) Do not unholster your gun unless on the line & after told to “make ready” by the RO. (Range Officer) IE; your gun stays holstered unless you’re on the line making ready or in the safe area.
4) Follow all range commands of the RO, as they are given. (Don’t rush, don’t anticipate!)
5) The “safe” area is the classroom, at the southeast corner of the building thru the double doors.
You may “gun-up” there, while facing the EAST wall. (away from the double doors)
6) Do NOT handle any ammunition in the safe area. (Load magazines anywhere BUT the safe area)
7) All movement and reloads must be done with the trigger finger outside the guard.
8 ) Don’t break the 180 with the muzzle. (Muzzle & Finger warnings may be given, but are not required)
9) If you have an accidental discharge, STOP! Face downrange and do what the RO tells you.
10) Do not try to outsmart the stage. Due to the limitations of an indoor range, all shots must hit the backstop for safety. Walls, ceiling and floor are not the backstop!
11) It is required that the shooter engage targets only from the specified positions.
12) All prop walls are considered to go all the way to the floor. Unless otherwise specifically outlined for the stage, if you can see a target under a wall, do not shoot it. If you’re unsure, ask!
13) All walls and targets are considered impenetrable. Do not intentionally shoot thru a target, prop or wall hoping to hit another target.
14) When told, “unload & show clear,” remove your magazine, remove the chambered round,
point the gun at the backstop and pull the trigger. If there is an AD, it’s a Match DQ

DISREGARDING ANY OF THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN A MATCH DQ

If you are DQ’ed for a safety violation, there is no refund and there is no whining.

Protocols

1) You are expected to stay with your squad throughout the match.
2) You are expected to help tape, pick up brass and/or reset the stage for the next shooter.
3) If you are the “on deck” (next) shooter, you do not need to help reset the stage.
4) If you’re “in the hole” (3rd up) pick up the shooter’s brass. If you’re 4th or 5th or greater, help tape/reset.
5) If you are reported as a “slug” (not helping at all) then you forfeit your chance at the drawing.
6) There is no shooting straight thru the match, unless you have a great reason.
7) After the match is over, you are expected to help sweep, take down the props, clean up and restore the range to how it was before the match.
8 ) If you leave early, you forfeit your chance at winning a $50 Heartland Gift Certificate.

Must be present to win!

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
October matches will emphasize the PDLL Division.

That's Ported, Dot, Light, Laser Division.

If you use a gun with one or more of those features, then you'll be eligible in the first drawing for the $50 Certificate for Heartland Outdoors.

There will be a LOW light stage, not a NO light stage requiring a flashlight.

Round count will be 72 rounds.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish I could make this match, but unfortunately I have a midterm early the next day and I anticipate I will need to use this time for studying.

By the way, who do I ask for at Heartland if I want to thank them for letting us have this match?

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish I could make this match, but unfortunately I have a midterm early the next day and I anticipate I will need to use this time for studying.

By the way, who do I ask for at Heartland if I want to thank them for letting us have this match?

The head guy. I think his name is John? Hes the big guy.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
The only month that saw one match was July, due to Independence Day.

Labor Day didn't play much of a factor, as we had 32+ shooters.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Your gun must be set up the same way for all stages.

If you want to use a detachable light, but don't have a holster that accommodates it, you may attach the light after the start signal, BUT, in the interest of safety, since your hand must go in front of the muzzle, CHAMBER MUST BE EMPTY! After attaching the light, THEN you can chamber a round.

sigforme

Well-Known Fanatic
David had a great shooting class Sunday the 25th, Dynamic Handgun Skills. I learned a lot, now all I need to do is remember everything he educated me on at the same time. (Fat Chance). Thanks David for taking the time to teach us what we should be doing.

higgimw

NOW...NOW... I want it NOW!!!
I can't make this one but I WILL be at the third Sunday match. No PDLL. I am thinking REVO this time. Haven't got my butt kicked with my "new to me" model 66 yet. LOL.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a lot of movement, shooting while moving, targets retreating, low light, and 72 rds of ballistic joy!

Only had 3 in PDLL, so they had a 1 in 3 chance of winning a $50 certificate. As Burk said, this is a normal match as per usual, so bring your prefered gun and get ready for some very interesting change-ups next time!!

Latest posts