Can a Dan Wesson 9mm be converted to a super 38

Garrett Opolko

Fanatic
Good question. I own a Guardian in 9mm and love it. Be interesting if you could switch back and forth.

ZARugby

Fanatic
I think one of the smith here should be able to ask this question. When I asked Keith at DW, 24 months ago to build me a Silverback in 38 super, he said it was not possible because of something in the breech. (I forget exactly his wording). He built the gun for me using a PM-38 upper. That said, I have seen guys in this forum buying 38 Super barrels for their DW's and swapping barrels. I'm am no smith and I'm curious about the effects of doing this.

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
If the breech is too small for the 38 Super semi rim, then the gun could still be built as a 38 Super Comp. 38SC has the same case head foot print as a 9mm and is the same as a 38 Super for all other purposes. 38 Super may also require a different extractor due to that same rim. A different recoil spring may or may not be needed, I'm not a pro so I don't know about that.
Best wishes.

I had a custom gun made in 9mm with a second set up for it in 38 Super but that doesn't necessarily apply to your DW 9mm. Mine is outstanding in both calibers.

Last edited:

taboy69

New Fanatic
I have a DW Valkyrie in 9mm that I convert to 38 super occasionally. I bought a used Dan Wesson 38 super barrel and recoil spring from a Dan Wesson Guardian. The barrel dropped right in with a tight match fit. The only thing that I had to do was to slightly tweak my extractor to prevent an FTF issue. Now it runs both calibers with just a swap of the barrel, recoil spring and magazine. I love shooting 38 super!

Last edited:

Retired Badge

Fanatic
My Guardian is at DW service center now. I talked with the tech and he said it is no problem, but they are no longer allowed to take a 9mm to .38 super. He did say they can take a .38 super to a 9mm, but DW will no longer allow them to do the upgrade to the .38 super.

Dwe

Well-Known Fanatic
My Guardian is at DW service center now. I talked with the tech and he said it is no problem, but they are no longer allowed to take a 9mm to .38 super. He did say they can take a .38 super to a 9mm, but DW will no longer allow them to do the upgrade to the .38 super.
Hmmmm
I guess I'm not surprised.
Much less issues that way!

fflincher

Active Fanatic
Donno about DW, but I've got a cheap Rock Island .38 Super with a ramped barrel. Got a 9X19 ramped barrel that dropped right in, no change of extractor or ejector, just magazines. Shoots close enough to the same point of aim for plinkin' me. Didn't try 9mm ammo in the original barrel, maybe I should have, since 9mm Largo runs through the Super barrel just fine, as does 9mm Browning Long.

Latest posts