Calling all revo Gods...

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
What is a good reload time for a moon gun? How do you practice it?

I have a par time set up on my timer. I can get close to 3 seconds, but not quite. That's coming from shooting hold back to bringing the gun up, but prior to sight acquisition.
I'm thinking 2.0 would be a decent time, not necessarily great but decent. What say you revo masters?

ChrisC

Revolver Division
3 seconds really is pretty fast from shot to shot on a reload... load you up two moon clips full of dummy rounds, shoot 6 times, reload, and shoot 6 more.. work on smoothness more than time... once you feel that you have a smooth and perfect reload then work on speeding it up..

there are a few youtube videos from Jerry the Great that illustrates good revo reloads..

regardless work on being smooth instead of fast

Bevenue

Well-Known Fanatic
What is a good reload time for a moon gun? How do you practice it?

I have a par time set up on my timer. I can get close to 3 seconds, but not quite. That's coming from shooting hold back to bringing the gun up, but prior to sight acquisition.
I'm thinking 2.0 would be a decent time, not necessarily great but decent. What say you revo masters?

Well since you called for the "revo god". Here is the goal. My link

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
3 seconds really is pretty fast from shot to shot on a reload... load you up two moon clips full of dummy rounds, shoot 6 times, reload, and shoot 6 more.. work on smoothness more than time... once you feel that you have a smooth and perfect reload then work on speeding it up..

there are a few youtube videos from Jerry the Great that illustrates good revo reloads..

regardless work on being smooth instead of fast
Yes, but Jerry's so damn fast you can't see what he's doing. Literally! Plus he does strong hand reloads. I do that with speedloaders but I've went back to weak hand for moons. There's just less movement involved and I polished the chamfers on my cylinder so they just fall in (most of the time) like they should. I hear you on the smoothness though.

I've got two moons loaded without primers, but I don't dryfire them because I put that dang extended firing pin in. They say not to dryfire them, why I do not know...
I'll load up some more at the end of my next run. I'll just yank the decapping pin and dump the powder.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
I never really got the hang of reloading moons as well as speedloaders when I was running revos. I could get a 2-2.25 second reload on the moons most of the time, but I could consistently get sub 2 sec Comp III reloads (best of 1.36).

It's all in how you drive the gun. You have to be smooth and fluid, moving the gun just enough to get clean drops on the empties and straight drops on the fresh load before driving the gun back up on target.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
This cat is pretty dang smooth with his jet loaders. He doesn't even look fast but is pretty darn salty..

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
As Chris states, Smooth is king. You really need to video your reload to see where the time is going. I reload weak hand close to my chest to see where all the things are going. I reload the same for speedloaders as moons. I would put some sort of silicon gell in the primer pocket. I am not a real fan of using spent primers for the fact that a light hit could sneak in the pile while you are not looking. Chris is there a session going on at your range the 13th? If so come on down the class only costs $5.00 and you get to shoot a match. :) IIRC. Bout right Chris?

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I know the revo gods already spoke, but here is my unsolicited opinion. I think that having a gun that cannot be dry fired is going to hold you back. Being able to dry fire my revolver is one of the main reasons why I enjoy shooting it. Since I enjoy it I dry fire it more so I can get better. I don't know how to dry fire and measure just a reload, so I just time it with other things, like a draw. My favorite is a draw, shoot two, reload and shoot two. This is best done when OU is playing OSU. Cowboys make great targets on a TV.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay guys I did what Chris said. I have a moon of fired cases (that I start with) and a couple of moons of dummy rounds where I filled the primer pockets full of epoxy (no mistaking those).

Starting at a simulated holster position (wife already doesn't like the timer beep, the kydex will send me to the doghouse) I'm acquiring a good sight picture, firing 6 rounds, reloading, firing another 6 rounds, all with maintaining a good sight picture on a wall plug in my bedrooom. I'm also doing this with both eyes open which is a task in an of itself for me. If I do my part and stay smooth I can get it done in 7 seconds. Not often but I'm consistently close and once in awhile I hit all 12 in 7sec. Smooth is the key.

I've found that even moon placement on the belt affects things along with most any little thing that comes along.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Scott, myself and Roger are going to be practicing for area 4 this Saturday if you want to come down to the MAC.

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright, Just as long as you don't call it practice, Chris and I have a reputation to protect...Well at least Chris has one to protect...That dern judge really messed mine up. CYA there.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
we normally only shoot about a hundred but if you want to bring more you can, ill let you shoot till you get tired.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a strong trigger finger. I also use it to open beverage cans.

Latest posts